Cerwin Vega DX9 Floorstanding Speakers

4.72/5 (29 Reviews) MSRP : $1110.00

15" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1991-1997)

Submitted by george a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 pairs of Cervin Vega DX-9's in 1994 while stationed on Ft. Carson, CO. for $365 each, I was having problems finding speakers that would handle the stereo I put together while stationed overseas. I went for months broke (only money for haircuts) putting together a Yamaha CX1000 pre-amp, MX-1000 amp, TX-930 tuner, CDC-815 cd player, and EQ-630 equalizer ...... mainly because having the loudest stereo in the barracks was a real honor for this 20yr old (I've long since grown, matured, but still love to hear a loud@$$ stereo), I had purchased a set of Bose 401's........yup, after 15 minutes they melted, I tried the Kenwoods....eh....ok...then I bought 1 pair of DX-9's and within 30 seconds wanted 2 more. Well as we all know life goes on, I had these speakers stored for a bit, blew up the amp by overheating it, and life goes on. Recently I put my stereo back in service, you betcha, I have every piece except I replaced the MX-1000 with a Yamaha MX-800 amp .... and the speakers....STILL absolutely flawless, anyway fired it up and it is as amazing a sound now just as then, these speakers just take more and the amp gives it....it's a perfect match, as a matter of fact, I couldn't tell I vaporized the speaker foams until at a low level, yes I almost dropped my heart out my backside when I saw that. Did some research, bought the correct parts, and replaced all 4 speaker foam surrounds, even made a DIY picture series for friends, and laid the lumber to them ... I'm extremely happy with them and would recommend them to anyone that appreciates clear music at higher levels.

Submitted by Shootr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
These are ROCK speakers. They will not quit until a fuse blows and if you're blowing fuses you will be damaging your ears. You shouldn't do that. But they play clean right up to the point the fuse blows. NOTHING else I've ever seen does that.

I can't stress enough how important it is to drive these with an amp that will give them the power they crave. I saw a review saying they wouldn't handle the double bass notes from Metallica. The reason for that is the amp you're using. You have to understand dampening. An amp has to have the juice to stop these monsters fast and load them right back up just as fast. Think about it. The problem is that your system doesn't have the ability to stop the 15" driver from moving once it is started. With a more powerful amp that has great dampening power you will notice a MUCH tighter bass. Low power, low dampening means muddy bass.

I have 4 of these beasts. I use them for my fronts, my center channel and my subwoofer. Yes they make for a great sub if you have the power to drive them. I have vintage Kenwood amps driving them. The fronts are driven by a Basic M2 which cranks out 330wpc RMS at 4 ohm and has a peak power rating of 480 wpc. The center and sub are driven by a Kenwood KM206 which "only" cranks out 200 wpc into 4 ohms. It's enough for those jobs. I really don't need a sub but I figured it would help some and since I had two pairs I would use them all. These Kenwood amps are old school hard rocking amps built with the same kind of thinking as the CV's. They are built to rock hard and loud. Anyone who sits in my den and cranks my system up to full power is an idiot. You will be deaf very quickly.

I use a Denon receiver as a pre-amp for my Kenwood amps. They also drive my rear speakers which are Realistic Minimus 7's which have garnered rave reviews from Audiophile magazine since the 80's. They play clean and sound tight and are plenty enough for rear speakers.

I've been into modern listening rooms at audio stores and listened to speakers costing thousands of bucks. The first thing is the salesmen want to play nothing but explosions which tells you very little about the quality of the speakers. Once I finally convince them to play dialog though their speakers the phony quality is very apparent. I'm talking Martin Logans and other so called audiophile level speakers. They are nowhere near as clear as the DX-9's. And forget getting monster volume from them. They just won't do it. They have sensitivity ratings of 89 instead of 101 like the DX-9's. The only thing high end about them is their price tag.

DX-9's are available on the used market for anyone willing to look. The 15" drivers get foam dry rot and people think they are dead. Don't be fooled. But a repair kit and fix a set and you won't be sorry. I can honestly say that I can play movies with low flying helicopters and it sounds LOUDER in my house than it does standing under a real low flying helicopter. No joke. It's not even close really. These speakers are monsters. Use a heavy gauge speaker wire (like Monster cable but any similar brand) so you get plenty of power to your speakers, use a high quality amp with great dampening (there are ratings for that too) and you will be amazed what these speakers can do.

Submitted by Billy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
I picked these up from a guy locally off CL.
I brought them home, hooked them up to my Pioneer SX750, threw on an album.......and I've been in heaven ever since!!!

I agree with Drofstyle, I too have mine elevated on 1" inch risers, and it made a world of difference.

I also have my room acoustically treated with 2'x4' bass traps in each corner to even out the bass response in my room. (I highly recommend doing acoustical treatment with any room) I was able to hit 116db in my room, which is 12'x20' with vaulted ceiling! The sound couldn't have been more spot on! The louder I went, the more I smiled. :) They are such an efficient speaker, any quality receiver/amplifier will make them sing with no problem. My SX750 is only pushing 60wpc to them, and I don't need any more than that. :D

I can tell you this, these speakers are fantastic for anyone who appreciates high quality sound. BUT, you must be sure to use a quality amplifier..... as with any speaker, it will only sound as good as the source its being fed. I read reviews where people cut down CV so much, and granted, I've owned some CV speakers that leave to be desired, but the DX-9 is not one of them.

Submitted by Drofstyle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have four DX-9's powered by a two channel QSC GX-5 amp. They are wired in series providing an 8 ohm load to the amp, which in turn provides 500 w/ch, or 250 w/speaker. A couple of tips for the DX-9 enthusiast. First, these speakers benefit greatly from being off the floor. At 80+ lbs. a piece, this is no easy task, but well worth the effort. 1' seems to work well in my system. Second, I have yet to hear a speaker that doesn't benefit from equalization - don't be afraid to EQ to your liking. Third, clean power in prodigious amounts cannot be overstated. It's the difference that only the DX-9 will make, turning music from something that is heard into something that is fealt.

Submitted by King Ghidora a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought my DX9's when Sears was having a close out sale. I paid a whopping $285 for a brand new pair. I had heard my cousin's D9's (the original Earthquake speakers) and really liked them but the DX9's are MUCH better. The high end and the mid range is far more clear and detailed. And the bass is the same super driving force of nature the D9's had. I can't turn my system up and play a CD because it makes them skip like crazy. I've tried dozens of fixes for that problem but nothing works. I have to record to something with a memory card to get full volume without skipping. I drive these beasts with a Kenwood Basic M2 which runs 340wpc at 4 ohms but that is a very conservative number. Testing reveals they produce much more power than that. For the time these speakers were produced better speakers were few and far between. They are definitely rock speakers. They play the full range of audio and they play it well. There are drop offs around 200hz to 300hz but you get that with 15" bass drivers. I've had better speakers for that range but not many. These speakers will not play with the same clarity and presence as the high dollar speakers of today but they blow anything under $5000 per speaker totally away when it comes to full range audio. And they are better than the vast majority of modern speakers in the upper ranges too. But there are some speakers that are more clear now. And the price tag matches their high quality. The stores that sell those speakers laugh when you talk about CV. And the company has made some real dogs but the DX9's don't fall into that category. They are excellent especially for their time period. I did hear a couple of sets of speakers that were better in those days but even then the price was way higher. One set I saw must have cost $10,000 each back in the 1980's. I only saw one set of those. Infinity made some speakers I thought were better but they had a much higher price tag. And they were only minimally better. And you would never get the volume out of them that you can from the CV's. These speakers make my mouse move around on my computer desk. They rattle the windows and the baseboard heaters. You can't scream over top of them and get anyone to hear a word you're saying. And the fuses keep them from getting blown. I've blown a few of those fuses too but I have given up trying to make myself deaf. They are very hard on your ears at the volume they produce. We're talking speakers that create a maximum of 125db according to CV. Put them in a small room like my den and they will rattle the nails out of your walls. I'm serious. You are very unlikely to ever find a set of speakers that play as LOUD as these do. But they play clean and crisp too all the way up to the point your amp gives out or you blow a fuse. They are amazing. At 101db from just one watt you are way ahead of what most speakers will produce. Hook these speakers up to a real hard driving amp (like my Kenwood) and you will be amazed. My son, who has a masters in engineering physics, listened to a whole lot of new systems during his college years. He told the owners of those systems they didn't produce sound like the DX-9's do. If you like in the country and want your distant neighbors to wonder where in the heck that noise is coming from these are the speakers for you. They can be heard at least half a mile away. I've been in audio shops that sold high end equipment and they people there freaked when I picked out speakers that sounded like my CV's. They were extremely expensive and it was only the tone of the speakers that matched up with my CV's. They can't match the volume because they start out at 89db or 90db at 1 watt. There is a huge difference in the ratings of these speakers with what's on the market today. People used to say the bass was sloppy on these speakers. They just didn't hear them driven by an amp that can produce the power and have the dampening to really push these speakers to the limit.