Cerwin Vega DX 7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.45/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $820.00

3 way bass reflex - 12" Woofer, 6.5" Mid, 1" Tweeter

Submitted by Adam a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these new in 1996,i believe for about 750.00 a set from sears..They are big, bulky and heavy compaired to the Genesis 20's i was using at the time but i needed a set to handle my QSC amp.I never regretted buying them in all these years,except for some blown fuses now and then from a heavy volume, these handle high volumes with ease! For most modern music i prefer them 12 ft apart,8 inches elevated off the floor and 100 watts plus they come alive.They are very efficent,clean and low when set flat on the eq, but they do like 100 watts and up so no wimpy amps will do.The finish is vinly,easy to maintain..Like all aged foam speaker surrounds they do rot...Mine lasted until last year..I was surprised when i rebuilt them that these DX-7 have a huge bumped and vented magnet,very high quality cast frame.The crossover's are well built as well...All in all i feel their great speakers for the price compaired to todays offerings and alas their made in USA.

Submitted by kat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned my DX 7's for 17 years. Purchased at Sears for $500.00.( The DX 9's wouldn't fit in my car). I have never regretted my choice. Coupled with an Onkyo TX SV-727 they have both served me, and my neighbors 2 1/2 miles down the road flawlessly. Once my brother blew the fuses in one of them, ran down to Radio Shack and problem solved. I have recenlty downsized to a Sony Bravia home theater. While I am happy with the swap because I can fit furniture in the corners the speakers were in , I dont think I will ever be "impressed" with the sound for my music. For the money, they were and are the best choice and as far as lasting power I cant complain, $5 bucks for fuses once in nearly 20 years! I started searching online to see how to price these for sale. But now Im not so sure I can part with them.

Submitted by Elvad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Combined with a powerful Onkyo amplifier, these are the ONLY 'home' audio speakers I could not yell over. I mean at the top of my lungs screaming, the guy 2 feet away from me had no idea what I said. The highest quality home audio speaker I have ever come across, period. Rated at 255 watts, I had a roommate blow the fuses in both speakers at the same time....the speakers are fine. The roommate is gone. Stupid happy with my purchase from Sears (really!) years ago. Thank you Cerwin Vega!!! These 75+ pound speakers have been well worth the effort of moving them over the years! I do not know of a better quality home speaker, outstanding quality, worth every penny. Thanks Again!! Your devoted audiophile, Elvad.

Submitted by Arby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
I lost out on a local pair of DX-5s on ebay a month earlier and was thrilled to bid on the DX-7s when they were offered for local pickup only. I paid only $70 for the pair. Best $70 I ever spent.

I am very pleased with my purchase. I haven't turned up the volume on my receiver over 1/2 way because these things are LOUD. I put a pair of JBL 4408's on top and they sound perfect. It fills the room with sound. I don't get tired listening to them.

I found a guy on craigslist who is selling an additional pair. Hopefully they aren't sold yet. My neighbors are going to love me.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Bob Shannon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just a quick post script---
Ever notice Jerry Seinfeld had a pair of DX-7's in his apartment on his TV show?

just some cool trivia....

Purchased At:   long time ago