Cerwin Vega DX 5 Floorstanding Speakers

12" Woofer, 4" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1992-1997)

Submitted by Travis Stringer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Bottom Line:
These DX-5s are amazing. I have two of them and two MTX bookshelf speakers that I got from my dad (who has had them for nearly twenty years) as a birthday present last year. Usually I only leave the Vegas on because of their superior sound. These things shake the lights in the basement with no effort. I can turn them up loud, and they still sound perfect. I use a Teac AG-2050 receiver and a Teac PD-D880 cd player. Whatever music I play, whether it be deadmau5, Pearl Jam, or anything else, these speakers reproduce the sound perfectly. I love them so much that I am looking for another pair of speakers on eBay, and am looking specifically vintage Cerwin-Vegas.
Rating: 10/10 would buy again.

Submitted by meblkbear35 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers 14 yrs ago and even today, they never cease to amaze me for the monies paid. The clarity in which these speakers reproduce music is just astounding. I had gone thru several different brands of speakers before these(scott, sansui, bose)and believe that these will be my last pair. The bass is thundering but not booming, the midrange(where music actually lives)is so smooth and accurate that I could hear parts of songs that never existed on the other brands I owned. I have always been a fan of horn tweters because of their warmth, as opposed to the brashness of a dome or ribbon tweeter. These are also the only pair of speakers that I could listen to for hours and never suffer one bit of burnout.

I drive these speakers with a very modest Yamaha R 300 Natural Sound receiver and I fouind this to be a perfect marriage for my tastes. I think what I find most interesting about these speakers is the broad band of music genres that they are capable of reproducing so faithfully. I've played everything from classical and jazz to rock and rap and all with the same results. You don't get this from most speakers that are designed to perform well in one area generally. All I can say in closing is that if you love your music clean and clear, and can stand speakers as part of your furniture, get your hands on these if you can. You won't be disappointed!

Purchased At:   unknown

Submitted by rodney a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
hello everybody, i have a cerwin vega DX-3 with a SW12B sub, would u guys happen to know how much i can sell my CV DX-3?
and i noticed that there are no reviews on this product, i cant even find price, i bought it here in the philippines

Purchased At:   ?

Submitted by VegasSound a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
(Note: review is for older CW D5 model)
This will be a bit different they my other speaker reviews (posted as ProRecordingGuy and VegasSound). This time we step into the way-back machine... 1987 to be exact. After a year on the road as a sound tech, I joined the US Army as a communications technician. And there I found (besides many life lessons) a wide world of stereo buffs like myself. Many of my roomates came from European stations where they bought up hifi gear: Denon, Technics, Harmon Kardon, Sansui, Nakamichi, and more. And in local Junction City KS I also found dozens of audio retailers selling both new and used gear to eager GIs like myself.

So, after months of admiring my good friend's European spec D-9s, I acquired a pair of D-5s. These were the direct ancestor of the DX-5, and as such had a similar configuration. A ported 12", cast frame woofer in about a 2 cubic foot box, a paper coned 5" midrange, and a bullet tweeter with probably a 1" diaphram. They had a robust crossover with thermal protection for the tweeters, and were rated at a conservative 150watts RMS and 99db 1w/1m. Wow!

These were powered by Kenwoods top A/V receiver; with a good 100watts per side into 8ohms into the efficient Cerwin Vegas it was a solid, loud piece of kit. Sources included a modded Realistic direct drive turtable with a nice AT cartridge, and an Ultrix cassette deck with external dbx noise reduction. I often recorded from my roomates CD player to dbx encoded metal cassette tapes with suprisingly listenable results (for the time).

Night after night the D-5s delivered. While they lacked the finesse of a speaker of higher pedigree, they were surprisingly listenable. Besides the trademark CW bass response, they offered surprising imaging and detail by virtue of the little horn-loaded HF drivers. In fact, we did an all night shootout one night between these and some Polk Monitor 10s. The shootout used both my Kenwood and a great Carver setup, all driven by CD and Vinyl. Material was classic Genesis, Who, Kansas, Marillion, and who knows what else. By the end of the night, my neighbor offered a straight trade of his much pricier Polks for my Cerwins! We both agreed that the D-5s, at least in the sweet spot, offered a smoother, effortless high end compared to the Polks, plus their ability to trump anything in their price range when it came to dynamic range.

I still see D-5s on sale locally and on ebay from time to time. It is tempting to get a pair to see if they hold up to my memory of them. But would it be fair, 20 year old speakers, likely with re-foamed or re-coned woofers, against my more mature, refined tastes? I bet ... that I would love them just as much now!

As a footnote, I've heard the DX series and they were everything the older D series were, but with a better engineered HF driver with an elliptical horn offering improved dispersion and imaging.

Purchased At:   n/a

Submitted by Johnnyd1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Cerwin Vega S1's were a "caveman Bookshelf" speaker. Very
large and heavy- but heavy is quality- and they do have the
magnets and quality. Speakers have not changed much in
technology in the past 50 years. Weight almost gives most of the
story. I own a couple of Paradigms as well but let me tell you
something - It does not matter how you cut the cake- the vegas
are 98db efficiency and are extremely clear- the band is in your room