Cerwin Vega D-9 Floorstanding Speakers

4.74/5 (46 Reviews) MSRP : $525.00

15" Woofer, (2)6" Mids and 1" Tweeter (1984-1992)

Submitted by DAVID a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2016

Bottom Line:
MY CERWIN VEGA D 9'S , HAVE BEEN A GREAT JOY FOR THE LAST 28 YEAR'S I HAVE OWNED THEM, THEY STILL LOOK AS GOOD AND SOUND AS GOOD TODAY AS THE DAY I GOT THEM. UNBELIEVABLY WARM SOUNDING THROUGH MY 1978 LAFAYETTE 90 WPC RECEIVER THAT GIVES THEM PLENTY OF VINTAGE POWER. BUT I HAVE HEARD THE D9'S THROUGH A 250 WPC MACINTOSH AND IT SOUND LIKE A LIVE BAND PLAYING RIGHT THERE !!! AWESOME.

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2016

Bottom Line:
These are one of the best speakers ever built still rockin these babies today with my yamaha mx 1000 have almost 30 years of play on the D9's had to replace one woofer do to decay I would buy another set of they were reproduced try and find a speaker 104 db 1 watt 1 metre

Submitted by Doug Pitcairn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
Cerwin Vega D9 noun 1) God of thunder 2) AWESOME.... 3) the eviction king etc etc

If you want to really reach nirvana, run them with a Yamaha P5000 power amp. (or equivalent, these speakers play well with a small amp, but really REALLY perform with more power....a lot more power....the more power, the better...

I agree with the others.. absolutely THE BEST "70s heavy rock" speaker ever built...

I played the bomb drop from Floyd's "Final Cut", and the neighbours came runnin out of the house lookin skyward!

OZZY's "No More Tears" is incredible...

and "Dark Side of the Moon" is a journey to the other side...

Rock ON!

Submitted by Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought a new pair in '88, I still use them, only had the surrounds replaced once. For the money, " There is no better rock speaker available" I have heard many many speakers in my audio tenure, and purchased at least 8 different brands and styles, towers, monkey coffins like the D-9's, and mega array small driver towers , etc etc. There is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for the D-9's. The AT-15's were good, had a little better tweeter, but always shut off at high volumes I have NEVER had this with the D-9's.
They sound much better at loud volumes. for Metal/rock, they shine, and blues, they do sound quite perfect with Gary Moore's guitar, sounding like its right in the room with you(RIP)
I have recently acquired another pair, and plan to refoam them and get many more years from both pairs.

NO, they are not perfect, and h ave a fairly rough tweeter sound, but when it comes to rock and just being a reliable speaker, you ARE getting your moneys worth from them.
These are not Infinity Kappa's, or Martin logans, B&W, or Wharfedale's they are Cerwin Vegas, so you KNOW what you will get. they are clear at very loud volumes, and are very reliable. what nmore can you ask for.

hands down, one of if not THE best rock speaker ever produced.
if yoou say Klipschorns, your nuts, that horn tweeter is so tinny and ear shattering, its uncomfortable to listen, where as these D-9's are wonderful.

R.I.P. Cerwin Vega - you had a great run.

Submitted by Kim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
I drive them with a Yamaha M-40 [120wrmspc@8ohms 20 to 20,000 Hz @<= 0.003% THD]. It,s far from being enought to drive them to their full potential, but it's seriously the most powerfull sound I've ever had. The bass is so strong I had to re-inforce the wall behind one of em! I'm looking around for a more powerfull amp ('caus I really want my ears to bleed...). Meanwhile, I use it as my main stereo and altho they're in the basement and the amp isn't pushing em much, we can barely ear someone scream out loud on the first floor when they are blasting. I swear you can feel the basement's concrete shake!

Paid 300$ from an ex-DJ friend who had em rebuilt but wasn't using them yet. My only deception is that I don't have enought money to buy more of theses, and buy the amps to drive them!