Cerwin Vega CLSC-10 Floorstanding Speakers

• Sensitivity (1w/1m): 90dB
  • 10-inch cast frame high excursion woofer
  • 6.5" midrange with fiber impregnated cone
  • 1-inch soft dome tweeter with ferro fluid
  • Proprietary mid and high frequency waveguide
  • Fuse protection

Submitted by kfilly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am a self described audiophile who is on a budget, and I just recently upgraded my stereo system. I have had prior experience with Cerwin Vega speakers. These speakers seem to be much better than the front speakers I had replaced (Cerwin Vega- RE 25's). These speakers are supposed to have the same frequency response, and similar overall performance to RE-25's. However, the CLS-10 model does a lot better job of delivering high and mid range frequencies. All of the frequency ranges blend well together and nothing appears to be over emphasized or drowned out. The speakers imaging is actually pretty decent as well. Cerwin Vega has always had a repution for excelling at bass, and these speakers continue that trend. I had read reviews of other people who had speakers from this series, and they all appeared very happy. However, one gripe that was voiced in those reviews was a lack of a grill cover over the mid range driver and tweeter. This particular model has a metal grill cover over the woofer and mid range. The tweeter is more of a horn style so it is still somewhat protected against accidental damage.

I use these speakers as the front speakers in a 7.1 system. All other speakers are Cerwin Vegas with the exception of my powered subwoofer which is a Sony (Next item to go). I use two pairs of VE-5M as rear surrounds, and a CLS-6C as my center channel. The center and front speakers blend flawlessly as they all have the same drivers. I power my system with a Harman Kardonn AVR-340 7.1 receiver.

I realize that speakers are an item that is affected by a lot of variables. Things such as music preference, personal opinion, other equipment that is used, and the layout of the room where they will be used (There are too many more to mention). I use my speakers in a room that is roughly 15x30 and they fill that room with sound. I primarily listen to hard rock/alternative music which is what Cerwin Vega speakers are known to excel at. I do listen to a little bit of the newer country music and some classical stuff, and so far I have not been disappointed with this purchase. I highly recommend purchasing these if you are on a budget looking for a decent pair of speakers!

Purchased At:   eBay