Cerwin Vega 380SE Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Model 380SE Specifications

DESCRIPTION: 15” 3-Way Loudspeaker
FREQ. RESPONSE: 25Hz –20kHz
POWER HANDLING: 5/405 Watt RMS (Min/Max)
SENSITIVITY: 102 dB (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)
IMPEDANCE: 4 Ohms
MSRP: $540 ea
CIRCA: 1985 – 1991

Submitted by rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
woofer can not handle bass, kept getting a bottoming out sound, of the cloth surround or voice coil hitting on the kick drum. NOT a good speaker. mids & highs VERY GOOD, but that woofer is not made for anykick drum. used for about 6 months, and took them back.

Submitted by frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought my cerwin vega 380se 24 years ago!! yes they are probably not made for small rooms by they're size but take a couple of minutes and listen to some of you're favorite tracks and you'll forgive them they're size. I give them a '4' note because perfection does not exist and every speakers not matter what the price will lack on a range of frequency or an other or will perform near perfect in a kind of music but will perform less in an other. I've paid them 1400$ a pair in 1989 and no speakers rock like they do .I've heard speakers giving more mid or voice presence at a neural sound adjustment but with a little adjustment there,wow really hard to beat. They are connect to a proton d1200 100w per channel giving 200w (because of the 4homs impedance of the seakers) with a huge headroom capability(500w of clean peak power).The fact is that those speakers will let you hear every tonality that you're favorite artist is playing,you will hear and FEEL!!! every bit of it even with accoustic guitars or tori amos on the piano. Ok some speakers over 2000 will perform well for acoustics or classic but hey!! who has a complete family who's listening to just one kind of music?? For all the other kind of commercial music,pop,modern rock,classic rock,pop,rap,dance,no other speakers will make them come to life and will vibrate your heart and shake your pants like they do!

Submitted by eeggel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought my CV 380 SEs when I was in high school from the local audio shop, back around '86 '87 or so. Biggest thing they had. Almost bought the previous model that was finished in wood grain but these in black were nicer ;). As I was told at that time these were some of the first speakers that were digital ready with the introduction of CD players that was relevant. Not sure what it meant really, lol. These speakers have been fixtures in my house from the day I brought them home, and damn they are heavy! I've replaced the spring clips that were on the back with binding posts and some time will put Neutrik Speakons in place. I just love the high fidelity mix with brutal capability of these speakers. They have stood the test of time like a fine sports car.

Submitted by sdguero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers used and beat up in 1994 from a thuggish Mexican dude in Camarillo CA for $300. He told me they were $2000 new but his DJ "friend" had used them for house parties for 5 years so they were pretty beat. He then tried to sell me a snap on tool set that fell off a truck... Anyway, they were really beat up and one woofer was blown out. Luckily I lived in Simi Valley, CA, a mere 10 minutes form the factory where they were built. Over the next 4 years I ended up bringing both speakers in to be rebuilt for $80 apiece. They have been bumping for the last 15 years, moved from my parents house, to dorms, to about 10 different places I've lived at. They have been inside, the garage, even the backyard for almost 2 years and are still kicking. Unfortunately, one cabinet has started to rattle itself apart and I lost the mids on the other one. So now I'm searching for a quality speaker repair place to rebuild both of them one more time.

I honestly have never seen better speakers that weren't professional DJ equipment and cost orders of magnitude more money. The lows are INSANE. The highs are in crisp. The mids are just there, which is what they should be. These speakers have survived so many moves that I thought they might be indestructible. Turns out I was wrong as several things started breaking the last 2 years. Regardless, I cannot recommend them enough. In good shape, I'd pay $1000-1200 for another pair of these today.

I've been pushing them with an old Pioneer 125RMS 8ohm receiver that I bought new in '94 for $300. I know its far from ideal for these babies but they still sound pretty good and that bass bumps pretty well. Since they are 4OHM speakers I figure I'm really pushing about 250W through them.

I love these speakers. Literally, I love them.

-Ryan

Submitted by markdallen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought my 380SE's 20 years ago, New, when I really new nothing about HiFi. What a stroke of luck really as I am never going to part with them. Initially I had them partnered with many different amps usually about 100wpc and they sounded very good, loud and clear. It wasn't until I hooked them up to some quality components and cables etc that these speakers truly announced what they were capable of. I now have 450W mono blocs driving them and boy do they sing. Depth and soundstage are amazing while detail, separation and clarity exists not normally associated with CV, especially at high levels. And bass so punchy that pictures are constantly falling off surrounding walls. I have had many speakers come through my hands but have been unable to find a sound like these for under 10K. I have never seen another pair for sale either. Although they are looking a little worse for wear after 20 years, they still sound as good as day one.

Cerwin Vega 380SE

Hi. I have been trying to find somewhere to buy the original 15" woofer recone kits rather than the rubber rolled surround being offered now. I will have them fitted locally. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!Read More »