Celestion 5 mk II Floorstanding Speakers

3.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

2-way mini-monitor (1993-1996)

Submitted by stercaland a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these over Ebay having once heard the smaller Celestion 3's. $100 per pair should be an average price for a pair of these in good condition. I intended to use these in a bedroom "home theater" setup, but auditioned them in my main, 2-channel setup. I was currently using a pair of KEF Q50's as my main speakers. I was not only satisfied with their sound, I actually replaced my floorstanding KEFs with these 12" monitors! Ultimately, the Celestions will go in my bedroom, but I've now decided to replace the KEF's with a pair of Magnepans.
These speakers would make an excellent choice for a budding audiophile on a tight budget. I occasionally see these (as well as the larger 7's) for sale on Ebay. If you were intending to spend, say, $500 on a pair of monitors and happen to come across these, buy these instead. With the money you'll save you can invest in a pair of good stands, a great set of cables (I'd recommend MIT's), and maybe you'll save enough to even buy a power conditioner or other good interconnects for the rest of your system. ***The stands I am using were purchased at Circuit City for $100 per pair. The brand is Omni Mount and are actually quite good when filled with lead shot. They even come with spikes!

Submitted by Paolo Brandinu a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
This loudspeaker are economic but good in this class.
The soundstage is full, well defined and natural.
It is very important to choose the right amplifier: it must be of good quality, the power is not important. There is a particular affinity with tube amplifier even if the power is microscopic (2,5 W).
I used it with a single ended 2A3 amplifier with a optimum performance.
Is a good speaker for home teater too.
Well built,solid, good trasducer.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Matt Stoan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
I picked these up as dealer demos for $150 pr. making for a killer deal. They are very smooth, detailed and above all unoffensive sounding (the plight of many high end speakers trying to be dynamic and/or detailed). I've got it running on a harman/kardon receiver and am amazed that it sounds as smooth as it does; receivers in general have a way of being harsh sounding. Furthermore, they can be placed near the back wall more so than most speakers so it won't infringe on your lifestyle. I don't think you can really go wrong with this speaker at a discounted price, which shouldn't be to hard to find. For someone looking for a system more musical than most on a tight budget this is a good speaker. I've owned Thiel, Klipsch, Velodyne, NHT, Biro, and others and I was a suprised with how this one sounded. Not a bad speaker at all, and if you can find one for $200 to $250 a pair I'd go for it.