Canton Ergo 31 DC Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Sam Negri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of Ergo 31-DC speakers for a total of $200, which was an incredible bargain. The clarity, soundstage and bass are extraordinary. Most of the time I'm listening to classical music or opera, but I also play Broadway tunes and folk music. The midrange is mesmerizing. I'm yet to detect and weaknesses. On the contrary, these are immensely satisfying. The original owner of these speakers had died and his son was cleaning out the house. The old man was an audiophile who had been collecting speakers over a period of several years, so his son was left with more than enough to choose from. As a result, I got lucky.

Submitted by Juha Y a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Equipment used:
Pioneer PDS-904S (Cd)
Denon PMA 2000R (Amp)
Tara Labs Prism 55 (interconnect)
Supra Ply 3.4 (Speaker cables)
VM Blackfoot 60(Speakerstand, sandfilled)

I must say that my view of these speakers have changed drasticle through the years.
I no longer think that the sound is free from coloration, I must say that it is quite heavily colored at times. Listening to tracks like Nick Cave's "Plain Gold Ring", which has lots of bas, makes the sound so full of coloration that it makes the song totally unlistenable. Playing around with speaker placement doesn't help much. I placed my Cantons far from the walls, since putting them close to the rear wall makes the sound boomy.
The new Canton Ergo RC-K (more expensive model), seems to suffer of coloration as well, as showed in a recent Hi-Fi & Musik test (Swedish mag).
I also think that the DC technology, which helps the Canton's to bring lots of bas out of small cabinets degrades the detail level.
Sorry to put up another review, but readers must be warned. Strange that not many have noticed the flaws of these speakers, but I must add one more important thing.
Many of my friends think that I'm overly sensitive to coloration, but they mention they notice it as well with these loudspeakers.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers as an after thought for a second house. I had an extra reciever and wanted just a set of inexpensive speakers to match it. The reciever is an old Sony STR 80ES stereo reciever so I wasnt expecting much. I was shocked at the performance of these speakers. I can't stand muddy sounding bass heavy speakers. These were clean and detailed. The sound stage was excellent and my favorite female vocalists came to life. I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to rock to country to jazz and these speakers have performed well on all of them. They are revealing and bad source material will rot your ears. I have them on stands. Filling the stands with sand produced an immediate audible improvement. I have had a lot of positive commentary from visitors to my house on these speakers.

Submitted by Marshall Ellison a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have Canton speakers which are predecessors to the Ergo 31 DCs - the 930s. The 930s are speakers which sounded great with my cheap 2-channel Scott amp which had been driving them. The Scott died and I'm in the process of getting a new 2-channel Yamaha amp (the AX-592).

I've heard the Ergo 31s and they sound great too. Top-drawer all around, especially for music, but I don't know if they're optimal for video.

All in all - a highly recommended speaker.

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
Tried the B&W Nautilus 805's and didn't like em'! The Canton 32's had a much fuller, smoother sound. Better High/Mid/Low balance than 805's. Everything I was looking for in a speaker this size. Canton Ergo 32's get my highest recommendation.