Canton Digital 1.1 Floorstanding Speakers

3 way bass reflex

Submitted by Fredrik Wahlgren a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
A very fine pair of speakers.

I upgraded from a pair of Canton RCL. I was allways pretty satisfied with my RCL. They played just fine in my ears.

Therefore it was with big interest I hooked up these giant speakers. Would they play better or wpuld they just just sound big and boomy like many other so called high end crap.

After quit a hazzle with the measurement sequence (see weakness below) I finally got them adjusted the way I wanted.

Then it started - the MUSIC!

They are actually very good. That's about as much you need to say. They do everything just right. The ability to play any music effortless is great. It resolves complex music with ease. They dig deep, have a firm heavy bass, a nice clear mid and a clear hig end.

The RCL played great but these are better.

I wonder why Canton let go of the active filter technology. I thought it worked fine with the RCL. It makes all the difference with Digital 1.1

A tips:
Do a 7 point ball measure like they recommend in the manual. That means point 1 in your head listening position, then 6 points 30 cm out 90 degrees round, up and down from centre of your head. This will smooth the correction curve and improve the sound reproduced radically from just having a one point measure.

I can definitly recommend Canton Digital 1.1!

Other part of my hifi set:
-CD Classé 1.5

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Second hand

Submitted by Michael Johansson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was ging to buy new main speakers. This time I was going for something extra. But I was wise...I had time, I had money, and I where to develop my sense of listening.
Because it takes alot of time, ears, and evetually money to be wise about speakers. Know that My journey started in August and ended in February. This is nothing to be rushed along.

Having listened to alot of speakers over a long period of time(read: 'similar products used'), I noticed that my hearing had developed to an instrument itself. An instrument of hearing. A tool to dig up what fitted my purposes just right.
Because, it had to be something that 'fitted' my profile. Since I knew that the money in the end where going to be a small household budget, I probobly had to hold on to these speakers for some time. Say 5-15 years. And in that time both my own music taste and speaker surroundings was to change a few times. I had to get me a speaker that where VERSITYLE (read: Canton Digital 1.1).

This all thanks to the DIGITAL CONTROLLER. A DSP-room correction unit. With this and a measurement microphone, via a PC, you make these speakers sound however you want them to. Optimise them for your own room, needs and taste. There are given software programmes for everything.

Spent some time listening to them. Tried them out with all kinds of comparison music - and there never was a doubht. Though many speakers jawdropping, this was floorhitting every time.
Got mine in cherry-wood(blacks cost same).They come in huge boxes, not moved by one person(bring a friend or two). Once opened, just everything about these high-end loudspeakers screames quality. Thickly shielded from the outside world, and covered in soft, soft cloth as a last protective wrapping.
The DSP-unit in own box - same with microphone and the super heavy microphone-stand. Quality cables for this purpose included.
These speakers are delicate craftmanship. In the back you find only the thick speaker-cable connectors. Bi-wire or Bi-Amp at chioce. In front with cover removed - the elements and the bassport reflex.

The DSP-unit comes with 10 factory preset frequency response charactaristics. This for you. One flat(linear) in room response, and the 9 others are set for pop, rock, classic etc. With a PC and microphone you adjust these for the room in wich you've placed the speakers. VERY recommendable, since sound improvement is aquired.
They play everything with ease. Classic to heavy-metal. Bass is unbelievable accurate and deep. Just shocking. Mids and vioces are as true as they can be. The sound stage is with abyssly depth. And the highs just take a chew at any overdisted Marilyn Manson, and spits it out - urging me to turn up volume! But also they play softly. This with bass and soundstage intact. Almost whispery soft, and yet puts everything out at display. For all jazz enthusiasts there is a little something as well.

Every time I start them up I go:"They sounded THIS good?!... Yep, they did!"

Purchased At:   Norlanders Radio TV

Listen dolby digital 5.1 channel by Headphone

Hi, I want to listen Dolby digital and DTS 5.1 digital surround channels (from DVD movies) through headphone, may I ask what best brand/model I can buy? I purchased before Sennheiser Lucas, which I can listen through headphone Dolby Surround Pro-Logic surround channels from DVD, but I want dig ... Read More »

Emotiva XDA-1 Digital Preamp/DAC

The Emotiva XDA-1 is a digital preamp/DAC with remote control for $299. Here is an except from the manufacturer... _____________________ “The XDA-1 Differential Reference™ balanced 24Bit/192kHz DAC/Digital Preamp represents a stunning achievement in sonic performance. Designed around the acclaime ... Read More »

Vizio now #1 flat panel TV brand = Apex Digital?

This news made the rounds the end of last week -- off-brand vendor Vizio is now the biggest selling flat panel TV brand in North America with a 12% market share. An angle that the AP story (and newspaper headlines) jumped on is Vizio's status as an "American" brand surpassing Asian electronics gian ... Read More »

DTS vs. Digital 5.1 vs. THX Select Question

What's the main difference between these three and which one is best to pick if given a choice on a DVD? I have a Harman Karkon AVR-635. Thanks!Read More »

Digital 5.1 inputs

I have an older DVD player that has Dolby Digital but not DTS and it has Digital 5.1, my receiver has 5.1 inputs and DTS, My question is can I hook them up and play DTS DVD's or should I go out and buy a Progressive Scan DVD player with DTS and the whole works. Thanks for any help. My System: ... Read More »