Cambridge Soundworks Tower II Floorstanding Speakers

4.11/5 (62 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by charles thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers for about 12 or 14 years-when I purchased them they were closing them out at Cambridge-I paid 450 for the pair I think-best money I have ever spent-I found a second pair on Craigslist last year and drove from Knoxville to Kentucky to pick them up for $250.00! I use the second pair as rear surrounds-needless to say I have the most amazing sounding setup I could imagine-paired these with a Def Tech sub which is barely turned up just for the low end rumble in movies mostly. Everyone who comes over is blown away by the sound. I have an older Denon 3808 CL receiver that allowed me to bi-amp the front speakers. It's rated at 130 watts per channel but in reality probably pushes around 80 per channel. That is more than adequate. If you can find these speakers don't hesitate. they were well worth the $1000 original price but at today's prices they are a steal!

Submitted by Cliff Wells a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2015

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of these to replace my extremely disappointing Bose 601 Series IV towers. I got these (plus CS subwoofer, center, and rear speakers) for $400 on craigslist. I use them for both TV and music (through an older Denon reciever).

I find these speakers to be amazing. Now that I've listened to them for a while, I am certain that I'd gladly pay retail for another set (yes, even for a 12 year old speaker). If you can find a pair below retail, they are a steal. My girlfriend also loves them, and her previous system cost several thousand dollars and was hand-selected by her snobby audiophile ex.

The clarity and separation is breathtaking. The response feels very even, with no frequency getting lost or overpowering. Everything just sounds detailed, from top to bottom. The high end is crisp, but not fatiguing. The midrange doesn't disappear or sound woody. The bass is deep and clear, punchy and never boomy (we ended up not bothering with the subwoofer).

They get louder than I can stand, and that's saying something, since I get polite knocks and from my neighbors now and again due to my preferred listening volume (and I live in a house).

As others have mentioned, placement is important with any speaker. Don't push them against the wall. Get a decent amp, even if it's older and you have to eschew some features in favor of sound quality and power.

If you've done all this and they still don't sound good, try buying better music.

Submitted by Mygaffer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are awesome full range speakers. They can usually be had for a steal, they sound great, the only con is they take up a lot of room, but if you are buying floor standing speakers you should know that.
I recommend them heartily, I have never heard anything that sounds as good for the money.

Submitted by imwired a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I traded up to these from Infinity's and a pionneer reciver. Heard these in csw and was blown away. Walked out of store with these and a Marantz sr-5000. Couldn't wait to get home. Wired up with 8ga. fine strand wire. They are the best sounding speakers i've heard for the money. Bass is awesome, mids and highs are good.Wattage doen't matter much but should be hooked up to a high currant reciever or amp. They are well worth a try for the money, you won't be di
disappointed. If you have surrond system, they pair great with Fosgate Audionics FA51.0 Rear & FA62.0 center(company went bankrupt due to poor marketing, but you can still get them online for less than half msrp. Great sound and quality.

Purchased At:   csw

Submitted by vicvega1972 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
After many years of using a consumer Pioneer amp and Sony bookshelf speakers, I decided to do some research and upgrade to quality components. I did not want to spend more than $3000 on the entire system - so value was of high importance. I have well over 1000 cd's and some vinyl. After much debate, Musical Fidelity components were at the top of my list and I got a great deal on the amp and CD player. I auditioned speakers to pair with these fine pieces at Spearit Sound in Boston. After awhile it was clear that B&W were at the top of the list, and I was going to blow my budget on 804's. And then (on a whim) I stopped into CSW in Newton, MA because I had heard from a friend that the Towers were a real bargain. I immediately ruled out the Towers because the sound was too spread out with no defined attack. But the Tower II's sounded OK in the store - enough to peak my interest and take them home. At $479 with a 45 day money back guarantee it was a no brainer. Needless to say there was no way I was spending thousands more for the B&W once I got them home. These speakers are one of the best kept secrets in audio for the price. Fine, neutral detail, excellent bass, powerful attack, wide soundstage. Anyone who turns their nose up at them is more concerned with brand name than sound - and through the power of mental suggestion makes anything that costs a lot of money worth that amount of money ("it sounds better because I paid more"). Same goes for speaker cables. Do the research and find out the physics behind sound transfer, and DIY cables become the best that money can buy (only not expensive).

These speakers are on clearance at CSW, and I highly suggest them for anyone willing to spend up to $3000 for speakers. Are there better ones out there? Absolutely, just nowhere near this price. Bang for your buck to the 10th power. I may not been in the higher end audio game for a long time, but I do know how to research (exhaustive) and I know music. I would not buy anything that is inferior to my needs in any regard. I am enjoying my new system very much, and CD's that languished in the rack for years are getting dusted off.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks