Cambridge Soundworks Tower II Floorstanding Speakers

4.08/5 (60 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Mygaffer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are awesome full range speakers. They can usually be had for a steal, they sound great, the only con is they take up a lot of room, but if you are buying floor standing speakers you should know that.
I recommend them heartily, I have never heard anything that sounds as good for the money.

Submitted by imwired a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I traded up to these from Infinity's and a pionneer reciver. Heard these in csw and was blown away. Walked out of store with these and a Marantz sr-5000. Couldn't wait to get home. Wired up with 8ga. fine strand wire. They are the best sounding speakers i've heard for the money. Bass is awesome, mids and highs are good.Wattage doen't matter much but should be hooked up to a high currant reciever or amp. They are well worth a try for the money, you won't be di
disappointed. If you have surrond system, they pair great with Fosgate Audionics FA51.0 Rear & FA62.0 center(company went bankrupt due to poor marketing, but you can still get them online for less than half msrp. Great sound and quality.

Purchased At:   csw

Submitted by vicvega1972 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
After many years of using a consumer Pioneer amp and Sony bookshelf speakers, I decided to do some research and upgrade to quality components. I did not want to spend more than $3000 on the entire system - so value was of high importance. I have well over 1000 cd's and some vinyl. After much debate, Musical Fidelity components were at the top of my list and I got a great deal on the amp and CD player. I auditioned speakers to pair with these fine pieces at Spearit Sound in Boston. After awhile it was clear that B&W were at the top of the list, and I was going to blow my budget on 804's. And then (on a whim) I stopped into CSW in Newton, MA because I had heard from a friend that the Towers were a real bargain. I immediately ruled out the Towers because the sound was too spread out with no defined attack. But the Tower II's sounded OK in the store - enough to peak my interest and take them home. At $479 with a 45 day money back guarantee it was a no brainer. Needless to say there was no way I was spending thousands more for the B&W once I got them home. These speakers are one of the best kept secrets in audio for the price. Fine, neutral detail, excellent bass, powerful attack, wide soundstage. Anyone who turns their nose up at them is more concerned with brand name than sound - and through the power of mental suggestion makes anything that costs a lot of money worth that amount of money ("it sounds better because I paid more"). Same goes for speaker cables. Do the research and find out the physics behind sound transfer, and DIY cables become the best that money can buy (only not expensive).

These speakers are on clearance at CSW, and I highly suggest them for anyone willing to spend up to $3000 for speakers. Are there better ones out there? Absolutely, just nowhere near this price. Bang for your buck to the 10th power. I may not been in the higher end audio game for a long time, but I do know how to research (exhaustive) and I know music. I would not buy anything that is inferior to my needs in any regard. I am enjoying my new system very much, and CD's that languished in the rack for years are getting dusted off.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by tquest a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Man, I have listened to all the good mid range stuff, alpha 50’s (very good but tiring poor sibilance) primus 250’s (amazing detail but distort at high volume) IL50’s (bland), whafedale pacific 50’s very nice (but no impact) klipsch RF3 (wow, cleaaar...lots of nice bass vibrations (just no kick, overwhelming in smaller rooms) cerwin vega d3, d5, d7, dx3, at12, vs120 cvt10 (the last 2 really good)

Vegas have a sound that appeals to me… excellent impact, very clear mids, respectable highs and loud...Vega’s have a deep chested balance & nice sound stage/imaging… but are wholly un-inspiring with the details… great for parties but they just don't take you away...the tower II's do...right out of the box...they image, show a huge sound stage, bring out the sounds well separated in detail and have a great bass kick… impact & subtle vibrations… not at all tiring...you really can close your eyes and be startled...

It’s all about the engineering...these really do add up to more than the sum of their parts...no aluminum frame woofers or exotic cone materials… just well built cabinets with tough, well matched drivers that deliver clear sound at any volume...

They do an especially good job with the detailed bass vibrations, while pumping tons of air...

They won't please everyone...but 9 out of ten who buy them will be happily surprised...if you’re a fan of 12 and 15 inch woofers or rocking down the house…the tower II’s are up to that as well as the classics....

Purchased At:   hifi.com

Submitted by BRAULINO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I realize that most of the reviews for these speakers are older but afetr reading 90% of them I feel the need to place this review. I have been buying and listening to music for 30 years now and do have some expertise. What is an audiofile? I'm really not sure but I beleive it is someone that has experience and can give on honest review base on that.

Are these the best sounding speakers one can buy? The answer is no. Are the speakers an incredible value, yes. The users bashing these speakers don't seem to have much of a leg to stand on (to me). I don't care who designed them or who tested them, or who constructed them. For the money they are one of the better sounding speakers on the market. At 1000.00 per pair it is a bargain. I have listened to speakers that range in price from 500.00 to 28,000.00 per pair. There are better sounding speakers on the market for sure. But at what cost? I have spent many hours testing and listening to speakers over the last six months. These are the real deal! After a relatively short break in period the sound is accurate through all frequencies. The bass is tight, the midrange is even, and the tweeters are not harsh. They perform well with all music but are tremendous with jazz, blues, and vocal.

To those of you that decide to disassemble products you buy, do you also reassemble them? as usual there are people out there that need the reassurance of buying a "Name" not a product. I have listened to the snell, b&k, and so on. Their products are precise and sound great as do these speakers.

I do not buy trash, over the years I have spent my hard earned money on Klipsch, Kef, Bang & Olufsen, Yamaha, Dennon, and Harmon Kardon. these are not the 50,000.00 names but quality none the less. If you want a great sounding speaker at a great price try these out. You wont be dissapointed. Try many of the other higher priced names out, but you will buy these!

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks