Bozak Premier Model III Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Sled108 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hey, Does any out there have a set of "factory Bozaks"?.I Do...
They're DMS 2500's...I got them at least 10 yrs. ago, and have wanted a set of 3500's since then...Anybody out there know what I'm talking about?? Well, anyway...I pump these with a Heavy Mod, Melos, Dynaco ST70 and they love it!..They realy like vinyl..A Marantz 6200 with a Stanton 60 spins thru a Marantz 7T Pre-Amp...These Bozaks just suck the juice, and keep comming for more...I've tried being careful with the tweeters, but still have'nt got the woofers to move..That would be about 2:30 on the 7T and it'll sure shake your drink.. or even better, put on a 45..These are just the 8" 2-Ways..Anyone out there have the 3-ways? I've heard a set, they're even better..and really hard to find...Anyone got some?

Purchased At:   Stereo Store

Submitted by Mike a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1998

Bottom Line:
Associated Equipment:Sonic Frontiers Anthem Pre-1L (preamp)
Rotel RB980BX (power amp)
Audio Alchemy DDS III (transport)
Audio Alchemy Ultra-Dac w/ PS3
Illuminati D-60 (digital cable)
Kimber Kable PBJ (interconnect)
Straightwire Flex4 (bi-wired)
Standesign Modular Rack (5 shelves)

THESE ARE NOT YOU'RE DADDY'S BOZAKS!!!!!!

Technical stuff: 2 way. Tweeter: 25mm chambered textile. Woofer: 1-cast 8" poly cone. Bass loading: tuned port. Freq. Resp(+/-2db): 40 hz-20 khz. Impedance: 8 ohms. Sensitivity 1w-1m: 88db. Crossover freq: 1.7 khz, 18db/oct. Rec. power req: 20W-150W. Dimensions: 36.5x11.5x14. Ship.weight: 65lbs. Black oak finish. Warranty: 7 years. List price: $900

About a year and a half ago my audio world consisted of a Pioneer reciever and CD player hooked up to a pair of budget Yamaha speakers. When one of my speakers bit the dust after almost ten years of service, I began my search for a new pair of speakers. Unknown to me at the time, I had embarked on a journey that would lead me out of the doldrums of mass market lo-fi and into the world of hi-fi; now achieving a glimpse of audiophile heaven. What was the catalyst that made me re-evaluate my standards of musical enjoyment? You guessed it... a company called Bozak Audio Laboratories and a loudspeaker called the Premier Model III.

After quickly dismissing the speaker brands sold by the mega stores like Circuit City and The Wiz and then at smaller places that also sold toasters I found myself fending off the hard sell at a local high end store. His speakers were the best I had heard so far so I was soon debating between a pair of Energy C-4's and a demo pair of Signets. Then a friend recommended a new factory outlet store that had opened up here in Connecticut, the Bozak store. The rest is history. At a factory direct price of $600, the Premier MIII was right in my ballpark and after careful auditioning I found the Bozaks to be the best speakers I had heard, by far (that's right, I'm calling out the Energy's... the Bozaks smoked 'em!).

So that's how it all started. I brought the Bozaks home, hooked them up to my Pioneer and they sounded good but I knew they were being held back. Enter the Rotel 120 wpc. power amp and they sounded even better. Then along came a respectable AA digital front end followed by the Anthem Pre-1L and look out. With every component upgrade I made a new level of sound emerged from the Bozaks. There is no question that these speakers not only deserve, but redefine the term "GIANT KILLERS."

The Bozak Sound: The MIII's bass is tight, focused and authoritative with slam to spare. Bass extension is spine tingling. Soundstaging is deep(!) and wide in this natural sounding, mostly uncolored speaker. Close your eyes and these loudspeakers vanish. Layers of detail seem to blend together but not in the muddy sort of way. Midrange and treble are sweet, detailed and clean. The midrange is slightly forward but otherwise nicely balanced. Speed and dynamnic response are also excellent. And lets not forget how they look: handcrafted, black wood cabinet is of superb quality for any price range.

Back down to earth. These are not the "be all, end all" of speakers but I'd stack the MIII's against any speaker twice its price and most three times its price. For this reason, I give the Bozak Premier Model III five stars.