Boston Acoustics VR965 Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

The VR965 features a side-firing 8-inch (200mm) DCD bass unit, a 4-1/2-inch (115mm) copolymer midrange driver and a 1-inch (25mm) VR aluminum. The VR965 also features a line-level subwoofer input for use with Dolby Digital systems.

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
That $1500 is Canadian funds and was when the $ was about .65¢ :(

I've been using these VR965 for over 5 years now, and they still sound the same (I think) as they did the first day! I was impressed by the great 'hidden' subs design. They have withstood loud parties more than once, I'd say they are very robust. I have found the 'one way' direction of the subs to be problematic at times, you have to watch how/where your speakers are in relation with walls & furniture. Awesome for movies and anywhere from very good to awesome for music. Since I listen to ALL kinds of music, I find satisfaction in these VRs most of the time. Bass is very good, but not excellent when 'pushed', I think it may be because of sub/wall/furniture relation in my living room. I thought they were the best bang for the buck...and still do!
I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theatre in my basement and the VRs are here to stay, even with their age!

Purchased At:   National A/V

Submitted by MarkoPolo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 965's about 2 years ago and recently "upgraded" to a pair of Triangle Antals. I still use the 965's for home theatre and am pleased with them for that purpose. The 8" integrated subs are the best feature. Bass is tight, articulate & punchy never becoming muddy.
I primarily used these speakers in a two channel system the majority of the time I've had them. Although very satisfied with bass performance, the midrange and treble leave some to be desired. The mids seem a little recessed on most recordings causing me to lower the output of the integrated subs but that didn't help. The high were too high even with tone controls defeated. I attempted many tweaks and listening positions but the treble was still fatiguing. I'm not certain of how much soundstage can be expected from speakers of this price range but I've heard better for less money. Compared to my reference Antals the 965's fall very short in most comparisons except bass output. The Antals have more accurate bass and the 965's just have much more bass. Doing a side-by-side comparison of the two using identical amplification it became very apparent where the 965's couldn't compete and that would be the 965's recessed mids, etched, sometimes harsh highs, soundstage, detail(especially low-level)and speed of transient detail. I think the comparison is a little unfair as the 965's certainly fill their niche in home theatre settings, though for two channel listening one can buy better at similar prices.The "sock" that surrounds the 965's are a pain as they collect dust and make the speaker difficult to move. I do like the 965's slim profile and small footprint. In summary these are great speakers for home theater and if you listen to primarily rock or rap they may just fit your bill.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by dhh2001gtp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for a while now. I work in the electronics retail business so I get to constantly listen to all the new stuff that comes out, and with the great discounts I am always ready to upgrade. The thing is that I haven't found anythigng for the money that bests these speakers. Compared with Klipsch these speakers sound more natural to me, the Klipsch horns are a bit too high strung, they hurt the ears. The comparable Def Tech speakers sound great for movies, but fall short on the music listening experiance. The Kef and Paradigms that I have compared them to might sound a bit better, but I don't think it is worth the cost upgrade. For a "budget" home theater I think these cover all the bases better than anything (that I have heard) out there.

Mitsubishi WS42311 HDTV
Denon AVR3801 Reciever
Denon DVD-2200 Player
Boston VR-965 (fronts and surrounds)
Boston CR-85 (surround back)
Boston VR-12 Center Channel
Def Tech PS-100TLBL Sub (Best sub under 1000)

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by JSE a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had the 965s for about 2 months now. So far I have been very impressed. I initially auditioned about 8 to 10 different speaker models. I listened to Polk, Klipsch, Mirage, Paradigm, Phase Tech, Vandersteen, B&W, and Energy. Out of all of these and a few others, I narrowed it down to the Energy C9 Towers and the Boston VR965. I really liked to Vandersteens, but I felt they were weak in the HT department. Amazing in music though. It finally came down to price. I got a hell of a deal through my company’s discount program with a west coast authorized dealer. I saved about 45% on the Bostons. I got the VR965s, VR910 center, and Bravo rears for about the same price as the Energy C9s.

I have a set of Polk speakers as well and the Bostons blow these away. The Polks are now in the bedroom. I must say that the VR965s sounded better to me than higher priced speakers from Paradigm, B&W and Klipsch. The Paradigms and the Klipsch had much brighter highs and somewhat muddy mids compared to the VR965s. The VR965s were much more “laid back” and detailed. I listen to everything from Classical to Heavy Metal. The VR965s seem to handle it all. Nora Jones’ new CD is quite impressive on these speakers. It’s like a brand new CD when listening to it on the VR965s compared to my older Polks.

I am also very impressed with the tight bass produced by these speakers. I have the subs connected direct to the sub out on the receiver via a y-connector. This seems to produce the most pleasing bass for music and movies. I thought that I may have to add a separate sub at a later date, but I have been more than pleased with the built in subs and see no need to add more bass. HT is unbelievable on these speakers. I am currently running the speakers on a older Onkyo high end A/V received with Dolby Prologic only. Not the best for HT, but truly amazing for music which I mainly listen to over HT. I just parted with a new Onkyo SR600. I sold it to a friend to help finance my next purchase of separates. I can’t wait the here the Bostons with some good quality amps and processors.

Anyway, if you are looking for some great speakers that can handle HT and music equally, I highly recommend the VR965s. They are truly amazing and compare to many more expensive speakers. Go listen and you will see.

Submitted by Johnnie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
In case you want a casual listener's opinion for a change, here it is. I have been looking to build a surround sound environment in my living room, but I had a very small budget. The answer was the VR-965. Not only were they the best sounding speakers in 4 major electronic chain stores (regardless of price), they also came with a built-in 80 watt subwoofer in each tower (money saver).
Have you ever killed 3 birds with one stone? I did with the VR-965's. They sound awesome (truly awesome), there's no need to buy a separate powered subwoofer, and they take up barely any space due to their ingenious design.
If you come across these speakers, listen to them and take them home!
If you're a Bose fan, welcome to the world of Boston Acoustics. These babies are engineered and made in the USA. Bose are made in Mexico.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Denon 1804 and VR965-setting the Bass?

Does anyone have an opinion on setting up the Bass on the 965's? I believe there are 2 standard options on the Denon, something like -1) Using the Bass only for lows , and 2) using the mid-range also to pick up some lows. Newbie needs help.... Thanks ZRead More »