Boston Acoustics VR3 Floorstanding Speakers

• Tight, point-source driver alignment
  • MagnaGuard magnetic shielding

Submitted by bud a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have owned theses speakers for about 2 years now. I bought them right as they went out of production, if you can find a gently used pair they are well worth the money. I have them bi-amped with a 7 channel receiver. These speakers are very efficient with 93 decibal rating, but they sound incredible when driven with enough power. These speakers have a midrange with a neodymium magnet so the detail this driver creates is incredible. Bi-amping will bring out their best because of signal separation between the bass and upper frequencies as well as the extra power that will deliver. Some people complain about the sound quality of these speakers but with enough power and bi-amping the sound quality will compete with much more expensive speakers, i know cause i have spent enough hours listening to other brands of speakers to get an idea of how the vr3's compare. Trust me these towers are worth it!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by wjack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of VR3's about 2 years ago, and didn't think they sounded all that great, to be honest. I had a pair of BA A150's back in about 1982, and they were Magnificent, to say the least. I use to let people listen to my Stereo back then with the BA 150's, and they were totally blown away. The newer VR3'S can't touch them. I know nobody's going to believe this, but the newer Boston's are not as good as the older ones. I know, I know, I'm a Madman right.

Submitted by Pablo246 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great sound, excellent bass and clear highs. great sounstage. Excelled with Billy Cobham "Spectrum". Don't NEED a subwoofer but fine with one. Flaw was I wanted a warmer midrange. Too neutral there. Auditioned these in my living room. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO JUDGE A SPEAKER! I have a VERY BRIGHT soundroom. In my previous dwelling (quite warm) these would have been perfect. Since my walls are 1/8 fake wood, too bright. Great bargain for the money! I was looking for $1000-$1500 a pair speakers.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Mike 2352 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers about 6 mouths ago and was very disappointed. The sound was very tinny and the base roll distorted the music on the low end. tryed to get my money back after 3 days but team would not refund my purchase even that I was not happy with the purchase so dont buy from team.

Purchased At:   Team electronics Jan

Submitted by cheapaudiophile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
My SO and I were unwillingly thrust into the market for audio equipment when the system I'd had since university (NAD 3020, boston acoustics A40s, NAD 502 CD (10 yrs old) and Denon 'table) bit the dust. We comparison shopped for several weeks, and kept coming back to BA's VR series speakers. They sounded better than anything up to $3K/pair, to our ears. I was surprised that I couldn't find US reviews of these (they have received some raves from the foreign press), but trusting our ears we made the leap.

We are extremely happy. We have a system now (budget by audiophile standards, but not cheap as far as I am concerned) that produces better sound that I would have thought possible at any cost 18 months ago, when we first started shopping. We listen to mostly classical, with some a fair bit of female and male vocalists thrown in. We also have our amp hooked up to the dvd player (via the TV) and listen to movie sound tracks through the VR3s.

The sound is incredible. Very clear highs, beautiful midrange and an amazing amount of bass are reproduced by these speakers, but it is all of a whole. Nothing is exaggerated or minimized.

Our systems does several things I didn't think possilbe. In a large, carpeted and furnished room, it can create sound levels that are actually too loud without any harshness or unpleasantness (outside of slightly aching ears afterwards). Needless to say, realistic volumes for chamber music, solo piano pieces, and a cappella vocals are effortlessly rendered. We are going through a similar adjustment we made with our Grado 'phones: we get really clean, detailed and involving sound without overtaxing any aspect of the system.

Another experience we are getting used to are symphonies presented with a realistic soundstage--if I close my eyes, I can fool myself into thinking I am at a concert hall, with the strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion all in their proper places and oriented correctly in space. All that's missing for true concert hall realism is someone coughing three seats over and an elbow in my ribs from the person next to me who's hogging the armrest.

Finally, these are the most emotionally engaging speakers I've ever spent a lot of time with. Ella Fitzgerald, Eva Cassidy, kd lang just pour their hearts out, right into my listening room. It really is as if they are right there.

Purchased At:   myer-emco

BOSTON VR3 COMPARED to AXIOM M60v2

I am looking to buy ether Boston VR3 or AXIOM M60v2 speakers and am not sure which one is the best? I play allot of CD's and listen to radio allot, these will be for my wife because she is a BIG Gospel Music listener. My biggest problem is which one is the very best for what I want it for. We lis ... Read More »