Boston Acoustics VR 940 Floorstanding Speakers

4.48/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

Floor Standing Speaker

Submitted by James a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
My cat clawed my Boston Acoustics VR 940 black cover "sock" and looking to replace just the sock, anyone know where I can find a replacement sock? The speakers are terrific, i just wish I had a bigger room to really enjoy them more. Thanks

Submitted by joshhunsaker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am soo sad that I sold these things...ah geez. Where do I start...?

I had these for a while in my main setup being powered by an old huge MCS 3874 integrated and oh my goodness...never have I heard such dynamics before! Seriously, I did not realize what I had until I sold them off. People - just look at the reviews - 21 reviews with an average rating of 4.5?? These speakers are all that and a bag of chips. Honestly. The imaging is not pinpoint, the instruments don't occupy a "real space" in the soundstage but by golly they produce the most enveloping and exhilarating sound that I have ever heard with the exception of a 100 k front end system at a friend's hifi store I auditioned at one point in the past. Somehow - without one particular detail or attribute of these speakers ever being pronounced enough to become the reason behind why these are so good...they manage to just draw you in like very little else out there can do.

They are a little on the bright side, definitely more forward than many other types but it seems to work to it's advantage here. I just remember putting on Jordan Sparks "No Air" the first time and the ambient cues and effects simply cohered with the whole track like I had never heard before. Somehow, the music was more exciting and fun to listen too. I'm not sure how that works. But that's what I was hearing. My wife also loved them and was sad that I ended up selling the set. I had to own up after a couple of weeks that she was right...I really should have kept them.

The interesting thing about these guys is the that small short-comings (the maybe slightly forward and bright sound, the lack of precision imaging) never becomes one of those nit-pickable things that bugs one about their setup. For whatever reason, even though I knew there were faults (there have to be at that price), the speakers just made me forget they were there while I listened to the music. It's as if they were simply getting down to the heart of the matter - the way music should make you feel. These Boston Acoustics conveyed more feeling and emotion in the music than I remember in a very very long time through any set.

I remember another reviewer on here aptly stated that even completely ignoring the price, these are just outright "good" speakers. Something about them is just so "right" that I had to write a review here. If you can find these speakers for a good price and have been considering anything more expensive which might seem comparable - just go get these. Do it. And then listen to your favorite music and you'll understand what the fuss is all about.

Submitted by rbartyczak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers for over four years (purchased August, 2002). I found this pair on a close-out sale at a recently opened Tweeter store in my neighborhood . I had read some very good reviews about Boston Acoustics, in general, and the VR940s and VR950s in particular. The speakers that I was planning to replace were a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers. I had slowly been building my home theater system. I had recently upgraded to a Pioneer 53" big screen ( rear projection CRT), a pair of Boston Acoustic VRS surrounds and an SVSubwoofer (16-46 CS+) with a 1000 watt Samson amp.

It was time to do some serious front speaker upgrade. Tweeter had a pair of VR940's and VR950's on closeout. I went home and convinced my wife to audition them with me. I was convinced I wanted the VR950's just because of the higher price. But as we listened, the 940's seemed to have a bit wider sound stage while the clarity and balance seemed virtually identical. While The 940s left a bigger hole in the bass department when the salesman used the best subwoofer in the demo room and balanced it a bit (at my request), the 940s really shined. The 950s were excellent also, but since they cost almost $150 more for the pair, I choose the 940s. Since they were physically smaller than the 950's, my wife approved on both counts.

About six months later, I replaced my JBL center with a Boston Acoustics VR910 center. Now the system is absolutely wonderful (and has remained so). The Boston Acoustics speakers tonal balance is great. I have not even been seriously looking to upgrade my speakers (although, I could probably be convinced to get a true full-range set of surrounds). I suppose that will happen when I eventually move to a 6.1 or 7.1 system.

Since I purchased my VR speakers, I purchased some Boston Acoustics three CR8's and two CR6's for my son-in-law. (Note: The CR8's and CR6's also have very good tonal balance and were easy to calibrate. They still lacked bottom end so he is using my old Audio Source SW-15 modified with the fiberglass batting.) These were the last Boston Acoustics speakers that my Tweeter were selling as they started selling Polk speakers. (Very disappointing, in my opinion.)

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy with my investment in these speakers. Had them for about a year now paired up with the PV600 and an entry level Yamaha receiver. Bass response of the 940's alone is not massive, but it is always musical and exceptionally even; definitely enough to blend well with a sub. The VR tweeter is not too in your face, even with the Yamaha. I think this system is very listenable at all volume levels. I got an impressive soundstage when placed without too much toe-in.

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I auditioned Infinity, Mirage, Boston Acoustics, Yamaha, JBL, and Polk speakers. The Boston Acoustics have a balanced, natural and musical sound that I think is beautiful. While I can't compare them to more expensive speakers, I think even at $500 for the pair the VR940 is an excellent choice. I got a great deal on mine at Tweeter so it was a no-brainer at $250 for both of them.