Boston Acoustics VR 2000
Description: Powerer Subwoofer - 12" Driver and 350 Watt Amplifier

Submitted by dmarcott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
ok let me say this i got the whole vr ultra thx surround speakers.coupled with a denon avr 5600 thx reciever?ever heard of this package well, lets say aa5 rmd watts per channel going into bi amped boston vrs aint no joke. Anyone who has ever had the chance to hear this package is more than amazed.I can easily knock paintings off the wall of my neighbors house.I started as the big bass guy but have really come to appreciate the quality of boston and denon dedication to there products.I hear there are lots of other good stuff velodyne,mdk,ect, but truth is this is a beast that has stood the test of time. I have all the black vr spkrs, di poles , floors, center,and of course th esub , thank you for your time. D marcott.

Submitted by gil28072 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I traded a rather cheap set of golf clubs and $50.00 for this sub. Let me tell you this baby rocks! I have it hooked up with a 2 pair of Klipsch Kg4's and a MB quart center. It complements the Kg4"s really well. It reproduced a very clean response. If you can find one buy it!

Purchased At:   trade

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
awesome sub for movies as well as music,ive had my vr 2000 for over 3 years and wish i could find another,i am currently using a pair of boston vrm 90s a vr 12 center and a pair of vrm 60s for surrounds

Submitted by Jimmy Mac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Coupled with VR-500 in HT system and all is well. Played with crossover so the 500 does upper bass and the 2000 lies in wait for the intense scenes. I've had unaware guests startled at some heavy sound effects. Great for music too!

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi-Fi

Submitted by Armand a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was on the hunt for a new sub when I came across this one by chance at Harvey. It was on clearance, down from $1200 to a mere $699. I'd checked out plenty of subs before but finally went with the VR2000 because the damn thing is a beast and kills so many of the newer subs in the price range I scored it for. Not only is this thing loud and tight, but musical as well--not too boomy or heavy in a certain range. Sometimes, and I mean only sometimes, I hear what sounds like the driver banging into the internal structure, but I can't say for sure what it is.

I was really won over in the end when I had the sales person demo the $2000 Velodyne HGS12 just for contrast and I swear the two sounded very similar, but the VR2000 was just more scary, and really gave the magic fingers all over me.

True the cover does rattle, but I take all my grills off anyway. And there is hum from the amp which can only be heard if the room is dead quiet, but what do you expect from a 325 watt amp.

Just some facts about the VR2000:

THX ULTRA certified, meaning it'll deliver theatrical loudness levels in the average listening room.

Does 103 db SPL @ 25 HZ, and 111 db SPL @ 35 Hz.

Has a 325 watt amp.

Is discontinued, so pick one up if you can, because not only is it a bargin, but a true audiophile class sub. This is a blessing for those of us regulated by economics to puny consumer level subs. This cube rocks.