Boston Acoustics T-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

4.29/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

8" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by Bruce austin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
Picked up a pair of t1000,s off craigslist for $150 and immediately had all the surrounds replaced. The cabinets and grills are in excellent condition Light oak. Hooked them up to a kenwood ka-8100 amp, a pioneer TX-8500ii tuner and a sony cdp-ce375 CD player and also have a M&K MX-70 sub with them. Sound very well doing most everything. Don't expect deep base but very tight everything else. Acoustic is my favorite on them.
Have these in my living room and look vintage beautiful. For reference comparison I also have a pair of DQ10's , polk RTA 15TL's and a pair of Infinity Composition Preludes in different systems in my home and absolutely don't feel that the Boston's are out of place or are lacking.

Submitted by ThriftyAudiophile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Ok, I don't know if anyone will read this, but I just bought these speakers a couple days ago from a thrift store for seven whole dollars. All four 8 inch drivers have deterioriated foam, but the tweeter and midrange on both look great. The grills are intact, and the housng I would rate 8 out of 10. I plan to buy replacement foam off of ebay to fix them. That is if they still play at a low volume.

Purchased At:   Value Center, Vallej

Submitted by Mark of Cenla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have had T1000's since the mid-80s, and I have used them with a Hafler preamp and power amp the whole time. They have seen many sources come and go, but they continue to satisfy. I will be quite sad when they finally die because they have served me well in many living situations and rooms, playing rock, jazz, fusion, country, and movies. Loud, soft... it's all there. There are speakers with better low bass.

Purchased At:   Alterman Audio, New

Submitted by Jason Crawford a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Faced with the choice in 1987 of choosing between a number of full range speakers, which, at the time, came down to the Boston T1000, the Mission 780 (I believe), the Vandersteen 2, and the B&W Matrix 3, I settled on the Bostons. Admittedly, I couldn't really afford the B&W's, and the Vandersteens were equally out of my price range, so the choice was a simple one.

Since that time, I've never been disappointed with the speakers. Driven first with a NAD 55wpc reciever, and next with a Carver C-1, M1.0t combination, the Bostons have performed reliably, and have looked good doing so for a number of years. There's a lot to be said for real walnut wood veneer over black plastic 'wood-grain' vinyl covering. Even in a 'well-decorated' abode, these Bostons won't look out of place.

Getting to specifics rather than history, the best overall aspect of these speakers is that they have the right tonal balance and smoothness to make listening to just about any kind of music enjoyable. Hence, as another reviewer said below, they're easy to live with. They don't have any significant faults that interfere with the enjoyment of most sources (CD or turntable). If I'm getting picky, I'd say that they don't have quite the level of transparent and transient detail of some newer speakers, and that's ultimately why I'll eventually replace them. Also, the bass could be a bit 'tighter', but that's a minor quibble.

While I'm looking forward to replacing my amplification (for my Rega Planar 3 and my CAL DX2), I'll meet the replacement of my speakers with ambivalence. Although I know I'll likely be getting a more detailed and transparent speaker in something like a Linn Ninka, I'll also be losing what feels to be like a good friend. Decent equipment should be like that.

Purchased At:   Sound Hounds Victoria

Submitted by Matt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've lived with these loudspeakers for a good ten(!) years and they have made it hard for me to pony up the cash for an upgrade. Though I will likely go for a pair of Paradigm Studio 80-mk IIs later this year, I have to say that Boston really offered the best value at the time when I bought this pair for about $1050. I remember the enthusiastic review that Audio gave them, as it prompted me to go check them out myself.It appears that they made the right compromises in the design, as they still sound great and operate perfectly. They can play loud and soft with aplomb and are well suited for most music types and do double duty as mains in home theater very well too. Allison Kraus, Sarah Vaughan, Diana Krall and Stan Getz sound fabulous over them.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a pair of these in excellent shape, make me a reasonable offer (be realistic, I'm not going to give them away). I could use the cash towards the Paradigms.