Bose Acoustimass 7 Floorstanding Speakers

2.62/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

3 Dual Cube Array Speakers with single passive 'Sub'

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
If space and room size is an issue! Then these can work for you! A nice high quality amp is a must... Proper adjustment of the amp is also important.... Speaker placement and postion is also very important... And quality wire... Under these circumstances they arnt as bad as some of the reviews I have read here.... I have heard a lot worse trust me....

Submitted by AudioEnth25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
On my 25th birthday I decided that I was going to spoil myself and upgrade my current Yamaha/B&W rack system which sounded great but was slowly looking more and more outdated so I decided to take a trip to a reputable looking hifi store to see what has changed over the years.
The salesman asked about what kind of music I listen to and if i watched movies then he suggested a Bose Acoustimass system - I remembered seeing Bose in alot of my magazines and they always had a upperclass look and style to them so I thought "this is exactly what im looking for!" - The salesman put on a jazz type CD and it sounded ok, I noticed the difference between the quiet and loud ranges sounded good (dynamic range) and the subwoofer had a warm midrange sound to it (I had never owned a subwoofer before).
So after spending alot of money and taking it home and setting it up it seemed like there was no high treble on my CDs so I called the shop thinking the tweeters might have been damaged but was told there were none?? and it had patented technology midranges that also did the treble.
The bass sounded unnatural and boomy to me, male vocals were distant while female vocals were dynamic but harsh sounding - I could get the same effect by covering the tweeters on my old system - It did sound more filling but maybe because I upgraded (?) from a 2 channel system.
I started blaming myself - maybe I was used to listing to a low quality system for so long I had gotten used to it? I didn't question the system as for the cost I had no doubts that I had purchased nothing but quality.
Then my friend came around and confirmed my worst thoughts, hes a Paradigm/Denon lover and I did ask about those in the shop but was told I needed american quality - My friend couldn't believe what I had done, he went home and grabbed a set of titans? and a subwoofer both Paradigm and set it up exactly where I had the Bose system and WOW - the music shot out to my ears so clearly and so powerfully - I heard every instrument exactly where it should be and the sound enveloped the room and had such a high level of emotion that I had to do something about what I just did.
I looked up at the small bose speakers and they seemed to be smiling at me as if to say "Its too late now" so I did what any sane person would do and I took them back.
Now that wasn't easy! I was abused verbally by the salesman and told I was making a mistake, he said they needed to be run in first and offered me a pair of noise cancelling headphones if I kept the system.
I never returned there again.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by HML a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought my Bose Acoustimass 7 speakers more than 10 years ago along with a Yamaha receiver. They sounded great at a local electronic store. As a matter of fact, I could not tell the difference between Bose and other brands. All my CD's which I bought at that time were "value CD"'s which were priced at $4.99 or below. That was the year 1992. I was just out of college.

Fast forward to 2003. I am much more financially stable now. No more "value CD". Most of my CD's now are either SACD and DVD-A. My Bose speakers no longer satisfy my thirst for accurate reproduction of high-resolution recorded music. Thanks to the internet and its vast sources of free info, I have found out that, to my surprise, there are speakers which cost less than Bose and sound much better (such as Paradigm.) While waiting to upgrading to my stereo system, I bought a pair of headphone Sennheiser HD 600. After listening to the HD 600, my Bose speakers were put into retirement. Through the HD 600, I learned the difference between noise which was produced by the Bose speakers and real music. Now I understand why I usually got a headache after listening to the Bose speakers for half an hour. Now I understand why I hated Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" or Mozart's "Requiem" which were supposed to be masterpieces; the treble coming out of the Bose is very unrefined and undetailed, and the bass all sounded similiarly. With the Sennheiser HD 600, I can now listen to music for hours without fatigue and begin to like the CD's which I hated before. Life is good with the HD 600. Of course, life will be much better once I upgrade my speakers to the Martin Logan Odyssey's and my Yamaha receivers to the Krell monoblocks.

My recommendation to all non-audiophiles is to do your research on the Internet and audition the products before wasting your hard-earned money on a mediocre product. If you cannot tell the difference between different brands, buy the cheapest one. And one more thing: please stay away from Bose.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Derik B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
My father recently upgraded all of his speakers. He was using an new Yamaha Rv-1000 amp, polk audio center and fronts, bose a-mass 7 for rears, and a Definitive PF12 powered sub. The whole setup sounded good, the Bose were hung high and far from each other, so they provided pretty clear rear sound, and the DefTech sub did the trick for bass. He has now upgraded to all DefTech gear, and gave me the A-mass 7. I have a Yamaha powering the system and it sounds good, not great. Bose is mostly marketing and too high in price compared to the DefTecah stuff, but not as bad as the reviews, placement is important. However, you shouldn't have to spend too much time placing speakers that cost that much.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, just my two cents worth. My father was a victim of the Bose advertising machine and bought a Bose 901 series III in 1977. Powered by a lower end Sony receiver, then a decent Harman Kardon amp (100w) the sound was presentable but not great. I think we always thought it was the hardwood floors, the parallel walls, anything else but the speakers. Fast forward to 1991. Dad bought one of the Acoustimass systems for surround sound. Not bad but it needed a subwoofer to plumb anything less than 70hz or so. Then THX arrived. I think we got a cheap ($400) THX spec'ed Atlantic Technology Center channel. Whoa, so this is what a speaker should actually sound like. Anyway, after upgrading to KEF Uni-Qs and B&W's the Bosers are retired to quasi-Bonus room duties. Like Tide detergent and Coca Cola, often the least distinctive products survive by advertising the hell out of them.