Bose Acoustimass 6 Floorstanding Speakers

3.54/5 (61 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Acoustimass-6 Home theater speakers

Submitted by AudioCritik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
All major speaker manufacturers keep coming up with new products, while Bose stays with the main range of its products simply because it still sells like hell! Having said that, people are not silly to fall for mere marketing especially when they have access to product reviews and technical information like never before... think about it!

I have owned Bose AM16, AM10, 301, AM3 models in the past. I love owning and trying various brand products and have owned very nice speaker systems from Polk, KEF, JBL, Boston Acoustics and Jamo paired up with large subs from REL, Jamo and Yamaha. I can honestly say that Acoustimass 6 Series III is the most impressive speaker system I have owned for the size and in its price. It is very important to note that I have always hooked my speakers with good receivers from Onkyo, Yamaha or Denon. In my opinion, Bose speakers match best with Onkyo receivers. I am currently using AM6 with Onkyo TXSR805 THX receiver in 16'X12' room which is an absolutely stunning combination and is miles better than most cinemas I have been to; just awesome experience.

As an electronics engineer, I can go on about limitations of small speakers and advantages of larger speaker systems, but I believe that movies and music are meant for entertainment and Bose does the job better than most speaker systems out there; ears being the best judge.

Submitted by Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
I think if the bad reviewers listed their receiver equipment it would be no surprise to find that they are using 100 dollar kenwood receivers from the early nineties that they bought on craigslist for 30$..
While not as high end as my H&K receiver in my living room I have a Onkyo receiver and paired with this system is in short: Incredible. I have recorded and mastered music for the last 10 years and have an ear for these things.... Great sound at a really great price. Bose engineering at a wonderful price.

Submitted by Bose fan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
What the persons having left the poor comments do not understand, is that the system acoustimass 6 is very good, on the condition of buying the receiver which well makes use of it, and for the ignoramuses who are taking themselves for big experts, bose is the best company as regards sound quality, so stop saying it sucks.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by soulsbane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bose is a music and home thearter failure all around. I had this system when I didn't know any better, What was I thinking that something could sound good from a system created out of paper and plastic, a so called subwoofer made of paper and low density fiber boad.

Submitted by Richard Nelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
These little Bose speakers were bought to go in my recently decorated living room. My long suffering wife, and my soon to walk child dictated that the £1700 worth of Monitor Audio speakers gracing my AV system needed to be moved to a safer location (the loft for now !!). So I needed something small and unobtrusive for every day use.
Before buying the Bose speakers I read quite a lot of negative reviews, and some good ones ! More importantly I also additioned several similar systems - including the Energy Take 5, and the Misssion FS2av - an NTX system. Given that both of these have received excellent review from the trade press why did I buy the Bose units instead ?
3 simple reasons - firstly the Bose units to my eyes looked better, cost less (as factory refurbished units, usually they are £550 in the UK), and (after insisting that the store demo'ed the speakers without any post receiver processing ! ;) ) sounded in the same ball park sonically as the other systems I looked at - if not with quite as much "bite".
So what did I think when I got them home ? Well they can't compare with the Monitor Audio & Rel system they are replacing, but for what they are they do a reasonable job. After some experimentation with position I have found they provide a open soundstage. But this does require VERY unconventional positioning of the speakers. Perhaps this accounts for the varied reviews form end users ?
Also the mid range seems a little lacking as does the treble, but overall the speakers have a balanced sound. I have found, unlike some others here, that the bass is adequate.
So overall I'm quite happy, however some crevats for potential purchasers.

1)Don't pay full price for them ( they ain't £550 speakers by a long way),
2)Do audition them before you buy them and make sure they are plugged straight in to the speaker outputs of the amp, I hear some Bose shops use thousands of pounds worth of pro grade gear to flatter the speakers.
3) Make sure you can take them back if your not happy - they probably won't suit everybody or every room.
4) Plug them into an Amp with plenty of punch. I tried them with a 5x40w Pionner AV receiver and they just sucked the life from it. Fine with my 5x100w Yamaha though.
5) Try plenty of different speaker positions before deciding they are pants !

Finally if you like 'em good, if not don't buy them, buy something you like.

Good luck

Purchased At:   Bose Factory Outlet

Receiver for "Bose Acoustimass® 6 Series II"

Samsclub is having "Bose Acoustimass® 6 Series II" for $400. I am looking for a suitable 5.1 receiver for these speakers. My budget is around $200 - $250. Any suggestions? ThanksRead More »