Bose 601 Floorstanding Speakers

4.07/5 (90 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

Discontinued Bose speakers (1977-1981)

Submitted by jim c a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Bottom Line:
Great speakers and still working.I painted the speakers. Looking to sell 250.00

Submitted by zohar zohar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
if you have the bose 601 you don need all thouse sattelites speakers - you got the best trully soround in one side and precize sound in mater of locations of the orchestral instrument and the precize sound with the real bass when it in the music and not second before.
in my leaving room i almost dont know where are the speakers becouse the sound is all over from wall to wall and from flor to ceiling but as i said still the precize locatins of the orchestral instruments.
just today i started to thing about what would be when those speker would gone and i search for same sound but no loudspeaker like that today so i have to keep them strongly know there is no substitute.
last word - amazing loudspeakers!!!!!!!

Submitted by victor rugg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
today is the last day I will hear my 601 III I bought them new in 1987 and have loved them for years. I am moving and have M&W matrix and Carver A III in my two main systems in the house. These ended up in the garage so I had great sounds while I worked on my several cars. Walm,rich detailed sound. Never needed any repair. I know why they are selling for more than I paid for them, ever buy a used Bertram from the 60's Not quite the same thing but you get the idea. Buy them you will love them

Submitted by Morrev a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
To start with the fact i always kept my hands off Bose because of the critics in most of the reviews that can be found. As i could buy a bose 601 series III set for about 50 euro's from someone, who even warned me not to buy them, i gave it a go.

At home i plugged them in on my small amp, 105 w channel, started a cd and walked towards another room. When it started to play i had to turn arround because i was truely amazed, quite shocked honestly, by the warm sound and detail that was blown through the room. I sat down and enjoyed it for a bit, with a big grin all over my face.
Next thing was to hook it up on my main amp which values about 250 w channel and they seemed to 'open' even more with a fabulous high tone, classic mid and a bass level that fits it all.

I owned, and listened, a lot of speakers but this discovery got me almost emotional.
Since that day they stand where i set them up, awaiting compagnon from another set i hope to purchase soon.

Probably the lack of a decent amp or the later Bose generations make some people haters.
The 601 III concept was way ahead for it's era, it handles all kinds of music but is very sensitive to the quality of recordings as the sounds seperately are very detailed.

If you see them for sale, buy magic!
Thanks for reading

Submitted by bill van dam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
purchased a pair of bose 601 series three new back in 1986. here i am sitting here today 6/19/2012 listening to the these 26 year old speakers and they sound just as good as the day i bought them. no foam rot, nothing. matter of fact, they look brand new. not a scratch on either speaker. i listen to these speakers thru all sony es components. this review is short and sweet, just as sweet as these speakers still sound today. thank you for your time.

Bose 601 Series 11- Vintage Model

I am interested in Bose 601 series 11 -which is a vintage model, TO COMLEMENT MY CURRENT COLLECTION OF SPEAKERS AND SOUND. I would appreciate should someone, help me in location a pair of 601's in Melbourne, Australia please. Thanks, Crispin:2:Read More »

Speaker spikes for bose 601 series iv

Can anyone recommend suitable speaker spikes for my bose 601 series iv's? They came with plastic feet which screw into the base but these don't sit well on carpet. Thanks SteveRead More »

Kenwood KA-601 or KA9100

Hi I can buy one of this...I know KA9100 is highly praised but is KA-601 any good to? I think they are lovely nice looking amps...to bad they dont make them any more like this. I want that 70`s sound am also running a little midi studio and want that warm sound from a amp. Sorry if my engl ... Read More »

Bose 601 series 1

I just picked up a set of Bose 601s and all the surrounds are rotted but every thing works. Question; are they worth repairing and keeping or should I fix and sell them, I don't know any thing about the direct reflecting system, running them on a Realistic STA 2000, also a set of Mach ones. Music ... Read More »

Subwoofer to match Bose 601 vcs10 161 please share knowledge

Currently I am looking to add a sub to my pieced 6.1 Bose system containing the following: Front: 601 IV Center (front and Back) vcs10 surround l and r: 161 I need something powerful enough to go beyond the 601's which have alot of bass already. Ive looked at mirage, infinty, ect. Im lo ... Read More »