Bose 401 Floorstanding Speakers

3.77/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Direct/Reflecting Floorstanding Speaker - (2) 6.5" Woofers and 2" Tweeters

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
After reading all the bad reviews about these speakers I was a bit concerned about buying 401s but I picked up a pair for 40 dollars in good condition and have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how good these sound. I have had Magenpan 1.6, Martin Logan Source, B&W DM1400, Dali, Mission Elegante and Final electrostats so have a reasonable background to compare and I can happily sit and listen for hours to these. I find the imaging, tonality, dynamics, bass, treble and midrange to be very acceptable to me and they are quite revealing of micro details which I wasn't expecting. I was expecting to hear a dull lifeless unbalanced bass and treble shy sound going by the reviews but that hasn't eventuated at all. I do get the feeling that they might not be very amp friendly though, which is just a feeling. I am running these on Denon POA-S10 monoblocks and a Micromega Mydac, so you could say that amplification is ample and I would think that you would want something reasonable to get good results (GIGO). I bought these as a fill in until I can get some more Maggies but I am having to seriously rethink that now considering I got these so cheap. Anyway time will tell.

Submitted by BOSE401 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Bottom Line:
These speakers were wonderful when I had them plugged in... I've had them sitting in my living room, no more have an amp, and want to sell. Contact me? andreacostadesign at gmail

Submitted by john a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have a set of floor modle bose 401 speakers.and I also have a set of early bose 501 speakers and they are also the floor modle speakers I had to re cone the bose 501 speakers does that hurt the value on my bose 501 speakrs

Submitted by Purtain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
IMHO, these are great rock speakers and great speakers, in general. Mainly, though, for those folks who think they need a sub with these, are you kidding?!!. Maybe, it's your amp. Check it out. I'm running these with a Carver 6200 and I practically have to turn the bass EQ all the way down, and I'm into rock with a serious amount of bass. I'm listening to the Stones 'Sympathy for the Devil' (on the radio, no less) and the bass line sounds awesome!

Submitted by Brian Chew a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just scored a pair of these speakers today at a thrift store for only $27.99+tax!! The grills were completely intact without any wear, rips, or holes. None of the speaker domes were "pushed in". The speaker cabinets have just a few tiny, tiny scuffs. (Nothing a black sharpie pen can't fix/hide.) When I walked by these speakers the first time, I noticed a man was already "clearly interested in them". He had removed a few of the foam grills to look at the speakers. That's when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the BOSE logo. I thought to myself... "Aw crap!! I got here minutes too late!!". I went around the corner and down the aisle that was parallel to where the speakers were on the floor and the man was gone! So I made my way back to the speakers and looked at them myself. They were not priced but one of the speakers had "X2 AS IS". I located the manager and asked her how much the speakers were. She told me that they worked and they were $39.99 with 30% off. SCORE!! I'll take 'em!! Brought them home and connected them to a little "bookshelf" stereo system (just to see if they worked) and they sound great!! Awesome pickup!!