B.I.C. America venturi Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Tom Ruffin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I talked to Ed on the strength of other reviewers in this space. He had a pair of DV64s in stock since a recent customer had not come through. I figured I had very little to lose, so I went for it. These speakers are excellent. They have a great soundstage and are extremely smooth from about 40 hz up. Very very easy on the ears. No fatigue at all, even when played very loud by my Phase Linear 400 amp. Ed is the real thing. He cares and he has good ears. And he does not overcharge. I submit he undercharges.

Purchased At:   Ed Frias

Submitted by Rob V a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I learned of the BIC dv62si from the Consumer Reports reviews, but had to do more research. I can't believe that CR is the ultimate audio authority.

The reviews here on AudioReview.com reinforced the opinion that this was a quality speaker, so I bought a pair, along with the acclaimed dv62clr center channel. Before even listening to these speakers, I sent the crossovers to Ed Frias for his crossover mods. I was not dissapointed. I could hear no over or under emphasized frequencies. Smooth and realistic response. Wow! See Ed's review further below.

It was not until I bought a Sony ES surround receiver that I really appreciated what these speakers could do. The clarity is dramatic, limited only by the source material. Although the receiver has an amazing parametric EQ, there is virtually no need to use it with these speakers. I bought two more dv62si and sent the crossovers to Ed again (I have never listened to the unmodified speakers). Back to me in less than a week again! (coast to coast by priority mail)

Five speakers (4 dv62si and one dv62clr) cost me under $450 (including shipping & Ed Frias' crossovers). It is my opinion that there is no better value in the budget speaker world.

Purchased At:   HypAudio

Submitted by vare4 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I discovered Ed Frias and BIC America speakers on the AR.com web site and since he lived close to me I went to see him to talk speakers. I had an old 4-channel surround system that needed upgrading. First of all Ed's a delight to talk to. Extremely knowledgeable and very enthusiastic. The first time I went to his home I spent three hours talking stereo and listening to his awesome speakers (his own EFE line). I'm telling you if you're a true audiophile you can't go wrong with his speakers. Don't let the bargain prices fool you. You won't do better for many time more. Ed seems to be offended by speaker companies that overcharge for their equipment. Ed doesn't!

Anyway back to the BICs. I was on a budget and didn't have a lot to spend on a new system. I got a Toshiba DVD player for Christmas and bought a Kenwood AV receiver (AV-509, actually not a bad unit for the money). I purchased from Ed a complete system that he modified rather then buying something off the net (Ubid, etc and having Ed modify) and not knowing the quality you might get. I've heard of people getting blems off the net that were problematic.

The system I bought was a Venturi DV62 SI up front, a Center DV 62 CLR-S and two rear Adatto DV 52 SI plus a JBL PB12 sub. WOW. The sound is magic. Crystal clear highs and strong lows. Pianos that sound like pianos, violins that sound like violins, all together. All wonderful. Incredible sound. I bought a Chesky CD and it sound like I'm standing on the sound stage with the artist. I truly can't believe how good the sound is. My buddy who owns B&W speakers was equally impressed. You can't not be impressed after hearing these incredible speakers AFTER Ed's modifications. Plus if you're looking only for a great stereo speakers on a budget Ed's 62 conversation is only $250, and that includes the speakers!

I just can't say enough about these BIC speakers and Ed. What a great experience. Oh, by the way, while I was on a budget and didn't spend a lot, what I got was a system that will compete with any $3000 system you can put together. I know that's hard to believe and I'm sure some owners of the more expensive stuff will say I'm crazy or don't know what I'm listening too, but the real proof is in the listening. Seek out Ed. Listen to his stuff. If you're into stereo at all, it will be like going to Disneyland, except it's all rea

Purchased At:   Frias Enterprised

Submitted by Denis Pinto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ed Frias was correct about his revised perception of
these speakers. I bought them based on Consumer Report's high ratings (pre-2000). The 2001 magazine reviewing speakers stated that they were on the high side.
So , I built the audio review DIY kit for main speakers
(of one of my systems) and use the unmodified BIC
DV-62si pair for rear (surround) speakers.

At some point I'll probably have Mr. Frias modify them.

This review is for DV 62si
They have potential. For $300 the DIY is better. Way so!!

Purchased At:   BIC factory

Submitted by Dennis McCoy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the BIC Venturi floor standing speakers in 1975 as one part of a complete stereo system as wedding gift to my wife. They were everything I hoped for and at a reasonable price. Excellent bass reproduction via the Venturi system, plus great midrange and supurb highs.
Used them daily from June 1975 to 1985. At that point one speaker gave out and the foam cover plates were crumbling to dust when touched. Still, how many speakers can you stand for a full 10 years? The speakers are now gone, but the wife is still here after 26 years, and I'm glad BIC is still in business!

Purchased At:   mail order

b i c venturi spec 7 monitor speekers

i need to know what speekers can be used to replace the large midrange speeker above the bass speekers , i got my spec 7 with no speekers in that hole just pluged with partical board ....they still sound grate with a set of boss t-901s settin on top !!!!!Read More »

Venturi Speakers??

I found these Venturi speakers for sale but can not seem to find any information on them. I do not have the model number but I do have the dimensions. 53.5" Height x 12.25" Wide x 15.75" Deep Does anyone know anything about these speakers? Seller said they are around 10 yrs old. :2:Read More »