B.I.C. America D1210 Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $590.00

BIC Venturi's 12" 170 watt powered subwoofer. Down firing 12" long excursion Woofer.Variable crossover (40HZ-180Hz). Auto on/off. High & amp; Low inputs and outputs..

Submitted by cowboy826 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I must say after reading some of these reviews I feel much better about my purchase. I picked this sub up from a guy who was just going to throw it out because his last tenant left it behind. I almost flipped when he really only wanted $50. I picked it up thinking something would be wrong with it and long behold....everything works perfectly. I am really thrilled with this powerhouse! I actually sold my 2 yes count them 2 JBL D110's for this one sub. It hits way lower than both of the JBL's ever did. I love my movies and let me tell you I really enjoy watching them now especially since now I can feel even what I can't hear. I have my frequency set at 90 hz and level at 6 and I can't even begin to say how this sub is amazing! I think I got a steal and will never give this thing up! I will say I think I am going to open it up to see about the insulation thing. I guess I will have to give a follow up review if I change anything.

Submitted by hammer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I actually purchase the d1210r 12" sub with 200 watt output. Let me just say that this thing is a monster. It is as big as a dorm roof fridge, but unfortunately does not have room for storing any beverages. It is also heavy (about 50 lbs).

Like other reviewers, I had to stuff the cabinet with polyfill. When I opened up the cabinet, I only found 2 sheets of polyfill and they were just jammed into the cabinet. So, I went to Home Depot and had to buy the giant roll of home insulation, but it was pretty cheap. I also got some 3M spray glue to glue the polyfill to all sides of the cabinet. Don't block the vent ports. Also, use gloves and a mask when handling the insulation because the fibers get under your skin and make you itch like the Dickens. Be careful with the spray glue also because I glued some insulation to my hand by accident. Just use gloves and a mask. By the way, I have also heard that you can use that spray foam that is used to insulate windows. I thought about it but then thought better of it since it is hard to remove once in the cabinet. If anyone has tried it, I would love to know the results.

Anyway, after putting in the insulation, the bass was much more tight and the overall output was increased. Now, I have the crossover set at 80mhz and the volume only at 4 and I can feel the bass from 20 ft away. Sometimes, I have to turn it down more because I feel like someone is squeezing my skull. Let me just say that it is more bass than I need in a 20'x15' room. I don't think that I will ever have to turn this thing up all the way, unless I need to break up some kidney stones. Musically, it is a little slow and boomy, but i'm sure that has a lot to do with the placement. Since it is so big, i have limited options on where I can park it. The bass output overwhelms my speakers, so I always have to turn up the crossover when listening to music. With movies, it really shines. I haven't done a true test yet, but it probably shakes the entire apartment complex. I do know that explosions and gun shots will wake people right out of a dead sleep even when they are upstairs. With a test tone, the sub feels and sounds like a small earthquake. I should know, I'm from San Francisco.

You can definitely find a better subwoofer out there, but for the price this thing really kicks butt. Add some insulation, which is an easy fix and sit back and get ready to have your head squashed with bass. Surprisingly, the sub also has a lot of nice features at such a low price point (crossover control; standby mode; 0 or 180 degree phase controller).

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
System Config:

Reciever: Onkyo TX-DS595
Fronts: BIC V52si Plus
Surrounds: BIC DV32si
Sub: D1220R

The product I purchased was the Venturi D1220R (BIC "Venturi" Ported 12" Floor Firing Vented Long-Throw 200 Watt Sub)

This product is a newer version of the 1220 Series of Subs. I bought mine from ubid, for 89 bucks, plus another 60 odd dollars in shipping (3.99 + .99 cents per pound). And is without a doubt the best sounding sub I've ever heard from the $300 and under range. I listed to several H/K and Infinity and even an Onkyo Sub before spotting this a ubid.

The ONLY downside to this sub is the freq response from 35Hz and lower drops off really quickly. This sub is supposed to be rated down to 25Hz according to the docs, and I find that hard to believe. I ran a test disc on this thing and sat beside it with my hand on it to feel the lower-freqs. There is a very sharp drop in response around 35Hz, and all response vanishes about 28-29Hz. I haven't noticed this very much at all for my day to day watching. And I would be surpised if anyone spending less than $500 on a sub would notice it. I like a nice bassy sound and this sub gets the job done really well.

I positioned this sub in a corner with the Venturi ports at about a 45 degree angle to the walls (1 port on the right side and 1 port on the left side) and it really improved the sound quality of this sub. It just completely filled the room with a full bass that I never heard when I demoed H/K, and Infinity Subs price around 300.

Feature wise, this sub is very nice. It has a built-in crossover, with variable selection from 180Hz to 40Hz for those of you without a LFE (Low-Freq. Effects) RCA jack for DTS 5.1. It also has a seperate RCA jack for Dolby Pro-Logic input. You can also set the AMP to auto, off, or ON. The auto works reasonably well, but I don't care much for the feature on any sub. It slows down response too much in my opinion. This sub does have a 15 min time delay for auto-off which I Like. Another nice feature is a Phase Reverse Switch.

The cabinet is a nice polished black wood-grain (not really wood, but very sturdy) and comes with four screw-on Floor Spikes.

Okay so you have to asking, How well does this Sub Really Sound? Keep in mind that Sounds are a very subjective thing. But here's my take.

BIC (pronouced Bee-Eye-Cee). vs Klipsch

Hands Down Bic just sounds much less "tinny" than any Klipsch I've heard. If fact I really think Klipsch is a horrible sounding speaker.

BIC vs. Yamaha

I think BIC sounds pretty close to a Yamaha with equivalent features. But that's just me. I was told by a fiend of mine I was nutes. Bottom line the BIC can be hand for Much less cost for the same features and I think it sounds nicer.

BIC vs. H/K

Yeah, you can probably find H/K that sound better, but Nothing even close to this price. The BIC I think has a much "cleaner" less-rattling sound that the HKs I looked at.

BIC vs. Cerwin-Vega

Cerwin-Vega makes some nice sounding stuff. I really like a powerful Bass and Cerwin-Vega always delievers. I do think Cerwin-Vega sounds better, ever so-slightly. But it also costs a lot more (at least if you pay retail).

BIC vs. Paradigm Reference

Okay, who am I kidding? A good friend of mine has a Paradigm Reference Servo-15. The Servo-15 blows the BIC 1220R out of the water. But I would expect a $1500 dollar sub to do just that. I actually to this over to his house and he hooked it up for me in place of his (I ordered my reciever after the sub). The Freq. Response I mentioned earlier was very noticeable up against the Servo-15. The Servo-15 has a much nicer more power end-of-the-world sound that I've never heard on any other Sub.

BIC vs. KLH

BIC can be had for a similar price and sounds light years better. If you want value, look around for some BIC Speakers.

Would I recommend this speaker to my friends? Hell yes. Better sounding Subs can be had, but there's something about pay $150.00 dollars for a Sub that produces a sound that subs at twice the price have a hard time matching. I just became a big fan of BIC and you should too.

If you want to know about something I didn't mention or still have questions I didn't answer, drop me a line at audioreview.reviews@markchitti.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by jose menza a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'VE OWNED AND LISTENED TOO MANY SUBS OUT THERE FROM $100 TO $1000. SURE THERE ARE "BIGGER AND BADDER" BUT NOT ONE CAN COMPETE WITH THE PERFORMANCE YOU GET FOR UNDER $200.THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU COME ACROSSA BIC 1210R FOR UNDER $200 DO NOT HESITATE,GRAB IT BEFORE I DO. SUPERB QUALITY WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED.

Purchased At:   UBID

Submitted by Brian Allen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review to what I had posted earlier. I now have much more experience with this sub and can elaborate on a few things that I've noticed about it. The first thing I learned is to experiment with the placement of the sub, experiment, experiment, experiment! Moving it around really does make a difference in how it sounds. Read the manual before you set it up, it is very good on getting you started in setup and making final adjustments. Overall, this sub is a great unit. It puts out clean, deep bass with minimal effort. It does have one flaw relating to the auto-switch(this switch will automatically turn the sub on and off when low frequencies are sent from the receiver). Sometimes it makes a small popping noise when it cuts on while I'm watching television. It doesn't do it when I'm watching a movie on videotape or dvd or listening to music on cd. This is a minor complaint since It doesn't happen very often. I'm really pleased with the BIC and with a two year warranty on the amp and seven years for the speaker, I plan on keeping it for quite some time.

Purchased At:   Discount Hi-Fi (Local Shop)