B&W P6 Floorstanding Speakers

4.68/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

6.5" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1995-1997)

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
I brought the P6 in 1997 for US$1200.
I used Rotel RA-971 Int-Amp, then Denon AV-amp, then Digital Amp (Trends Audio 10.1).
The speaker did not sound its best until I switched to Adcom GFA-565 (pre-amp) and Adcom GPA-555 (power-amp). The bass quality of the P6 improves a lot with the Adcom.

It appears that a good amp is required for its full potential.

Submitted by Alain Deflandre a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
These BAD BOYS are absolutely incredible. For the MONEY you are getting what used to be an AWARD WINNING SPEAKER in England. I purchased new,the pair I have are ROSEWOOD and they are sublime. Real beautiful wood. I run these with a Rotel A/V 1068 for Home Theater and Music with Rotel class AMP and I would not GIVE THEM UP if someone was pointing a gun at me for the speakers ! The sound puts you in HEAVEN, if you Biwire and have the best in AMPS.

I am combing the internet for a second pair. Not easy to find.

Submitted by ANDREAS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
hello! i have these speakers as second hand the last 10 years.My amps are by Musical Fidelity, E20/ E30 .The much is perfect!! I've change the cables inside and then....perfect!! I have and the B&W 801 S3 also with the same amps.About P6, very rich sound,warm, nice built, and i think for their category are one of the best!! But ONLY with changing the cables...

Submitted by Kevin Parker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hello All,
I've been using the B+W P6 speakers for some years now. I bought a pair when they first came out. This was after spending some hours testing and comparing just about everything around the similar price point.
After listening to these for over 12 years now I still haven't heard anything out there that beats them in their price range area. I originally used all top level NAD gear with them but found despite the marvellous sound of NAD gear the reliability let the NAD gear down. I've since replaced all my equipment with Cambridge Audio and this is goin very well. The new Cmbridge DX series amps drive the B+W P6's very well. You do need a good high current amp to do justice to the B+W's.
Some have made the suggestion that the bass is a biy shy on these speakers. I do not know how that can be. I feel that their incredible bass is one of the great features of this model. Play the CD from the movie "Crimson Tide". This may depend on the room you are in; say carpet floors or polished cypress pine for instance. We have polished wooden floors and have no problems with the bass reponse. In fact I would suggest that a sub woofer would be quite a waste of time hooked up with these speakers unless it was a Valadyne and could produce to 18 cycles. This could have some thing to do with hearing ability as well.
The high frequencies are pretty much spot on I feel and have never experienced the high end fatigue as some have suggested. Keep in mind that as you age your high frequency hearing changes anyway. Just put on a frequency test disc and get some children around. They will continue to hear various frequencies long after us oldies cannot hear them at all.
From time to time I review new speakers just to see if I should update. So far I've heard nothing yet within the realms of financial common sense that would prompt me to do so. If I did I would probably go up the B+W food chain a bit into the Nutalis or Abbey road style; but then that meand new amps and so on. Where do you stop. Audvest cables (VERY PRICEY) can give your speakers an almost "Born Again" experience, worthwhile considering. Cheers.

Submitted by Bob Berryman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
Hi,I have ran these speakers for a month or so now,and will probaly never sell them,thats how much i like them.I am running them with a shanling cdt80 and a matching shanling amp,50 watts class a,straightwire stage cables,taralabs quantum 4 interconnects.Some music im playing now is nearly jaw dropping.

B&W P6?

Hello All, I just got a great deal for the B&W P6 for $100.00. Without buying separates, what reciever would run these speakers the best? juneRead More »