B&W Nautilus 802 Floorstanding Speakers

4.18/5 (146 Reviews) MSRP : $8000.00

Vented Floorstanding Speaker - (2) 8" Woofers, 6" Mid and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by db budget minded audiophile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2017

Bottom Line:
Magical and accurate are the best words to sum these speakers up. I have spent a lot of time with lots of different speakers, I am not wealthy so all have been used, older models. Kappa 9, KEF 105/3, Magnepan 1.7, Martin Logan SL to name a few. None were slouches, yet none come close to the performance of the Nautilus 802's. I have only owned for about 2 months now, and they still impress the hell out of me. Low end response is very good, very tight and plenty deep for most music. No harshness, just airy highs, and a midrange that is very accurate and smooth. Imaging is outstanding. These speakers grab you and make you want to sit down and really "listen" to the music. These will rock out when you want, and still sound as smooth and detailed as they do at lower levels.
I am running these with Balanced Audio gear, VK-40 preamp and VK-500 amp, which has turned out to be a match made in heaven.Interconnects are all Audioquest Red River, along with older Audioquest Hyperlitz Crystal speaker cables.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by crizzy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2017

Bottom Line:
Ignore the B&W bashers, they are on every thread on the internet. If someone heard this speaker and didn't think it was spectacular, then they have a terrible room and / or terribly matched amplification. On my system it is NEVER harsh and I am very sensitive to harshness. The Matrix 801 was a bit too harsh for my taste. The 802 definitely does not match the sheer power of the 801's bass but other than that, the Nautilus beats it handily.

I have heard top of the line Von Schweikerts VR-33, VR-35, VR-4 HSE and VR-5 , Quad ESLs, Klipschhorns, Kappa 9, Dahlquist DQ-20, Thiels (several different ones), Dynaudio... etc etc. and Nautilus holds up to anything out there IMO.

Submitted by Ghost_of_the_phonograph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
This was one of the speakers I tried out during my search of my perfect speaker.

From the outside, it's a really impressive and well built piece of gear. Personnally, I regret the few woods available for a product of this price tag. We are speaking of speaker that costs more than 18'000$ in Switzerland. For this prices, wood options should be available.

For the sound, I heard him through my own accuphase C-2110 preamp and different power amps in AB and A class.

Globally, it was a good reproduction. I founded the bass, sometimes, too exagerated in the reproduction. He was able to reproduce it well, but you needed great rooms and a good room preparation for that. Something that I liked was the fact that he hasn't the mushyness of the other, more basical B&W's. On this one, the sound is really clear and you could enjoy more freely the details. Highs was ok. Some speakers are repdroducing full high details. This one seemed to not be that analytical and showed you a great part of this frequency. It sounded true, but less fatiguing this way. It's a compromise. Some will ike it, other will despise it.

Generally, the B&W sounded better in greater rooms, and with greater volume. Not so much the "intimist" loudspeakers. But, at the other side, he was able to really blast impressive levels during long time periods. Nearly a PA speaker. Another thing that is, for me, a bad habitude, is the way it demand great power amplification for beeing well controlled and clear. It's just at the limit of insane. 150w could be considered to a minimum.

My conclusion is that I will not buy it. Because I listen to my stuff to less higher volume, and some cheaper contestants like ATC SCM50, Xavian XN360 and PMC Fact8 are able to bring more details, stage, deepness and emotions in the reproduction. But they are, although, more difficult to find in normal stores.

But globally, the 802D is not a bad speaker. He's just a tad too over the top for me.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2013

Bottom Line:
Purchased these from Audio One in Ontario, Canada, I got a really great deal on these as they were on the look out for a nice pair for me for about 4 Months.

These Babies are very heavy, had a bit of trouble getting them in to my " Theatre of dreams" , they were hooked up with a Levinson 332 and an Anthem D2 Pre/Pro, for movies this combination and a Rotel RMB 1075 for the surround speakers were great, however for music something was missing, not the sound I wanted.

I changed the Anthem Pre/pro and replaced it with a VAC Standard LE Pre with Phono, now these Babies sing all night long with very little effort, the music comes alive and fills the "Theatre of Dreams" with life like concert sound,now I am only 2 Channel.

I know this is a review for the B&W 802 N, but I just have to mention the VAC and the beauty of this piece, hands down a great Preamplifier.

I love these Speakers.

Submitted by uriah50 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are the absolute best speakers I ever owned and heard. I just love them and would never sell them for another brand.