B&W DM604 S3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.84/5 (43 Reviews)

The imposing DM604 S3 is the only full 3-way system in the range. The dedicated Kevlar® cone midrange driver is housed in its own isolated chamber within the cabinet and delivers all the nuances of the detail in the recording without the encumbrance of having to produce any bass.

Twin 180mm (7-in) aluminium cone bass drivers combine with Flowport to deliver the deepest bass frequencies with ease. Like all the vented-box systems in the range, foam plugs are supplied to block the ports should the acoustic of the listening room impose too much bass reinforcement.

Suited to larger rooms, the DM604 S3 is capable of reproducing everything from the delicate sounds of a solo performance to the complexities of a large ensemble. In combination with the LCR600 S3 centre speaker it forms the basis of a truly impressive home theatre installation.

Submitted by Manicindhouse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought mine for $750 and they were like mint condition and man im in love with them powering it with the krell 400xi. Tried it with the rotel the base was just too high !

Love how the music fills the room just great!

Submitted by Prithvish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hey there People
I just managed to get a great deal on the B&W 604 s'3 in black on ebay it was virtually in Mint! I paid $750.

I have been into audio equipment for quite some time and played around with a few of my speakers.

a. 3 Drivers for the 604'w give's you better clarity for a mid range speaker as the power distribution is more even.

b. You need a very good amplifier to get these baby's singing they are highly reliable and do not fade in time.

c. For older people and characters who listen to classical and low range music it kinda is over ya'lll
for the rest of the people go for it!

d. These babies are heavy but well worth the money especially if your watching a movie.

Bottom line have the right setup and you will get these just right some of you may prefer a preamp to have a better choice of tuning......

Submitted by Frank McHugh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I recently bought these on E-bay for $650.00 because of the rating and reviews I read here. If these were the first pair of B&W speakers I've ever owned and hadn't heard better, I would think I had something. It has the kevlar midrange that other speakers I've owned had so how wrong can these be. Well, unfortunately, enough to annoy you. If you are looking for bass then these should satisfy you but the midrange and highs are over shadowed by it. I unhooked my B&W cn-4s to listen to the speakers and there is no comparison. The cn-4s sound beautiful connected to my 251 watt per channel Carver amp. I could live with these 604 3s speakers with this setup had I not just changed them out and had the comparison. The 604 s3 has better bass but for me the beauty is in the middle and upper ranges. The difference appears to be the wattage these require. These are 200 watt speakers in 8 ohms. You are going to need a powerful amp to make them sing as they should. I could not live with listening to something less so I unhooked them and took them to my bedroom where I undid my Klipsch sb-3s and hooked it up to my Yamaha rxv-3000 amp. Nope, the bass was there but it still sounded a little dull in the mid and upper ranges. To be fair, the yamaha is 100 watt per channel. Next I moved them to my surround system. Here they found a home. They supply good bass where the Klipsch speakers provide everything else. By the way, these weigh 75 lbs apiece so this was no easy feat.
The sound stage for these are wide but the mids and highs sound a little (just a little) dull to me and.. and they didn't put me in the room with the players as other speakers will. The further down in Wattage I went, the more noticable this was although the bass never left. I'm sure when these were made, they were excellent for the time but progress has made these not quite as desirable or so it seems. Use them for in your surround system but for listening to music, you can find better for less money these days.

Submitted by ullodea a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've had these for 18 months now and consider them a fantastic investment. I auditioned them together with the successor 683s and preferred them, for what it's worth. Three things have made a significant impovement to their sound in my case (and reflects my change from relative novice to enthusiast): 1) CABLES - the dealer I bought these from suggested that basic starightwire cable would suffice - not true. I have the rig now hooked up with nordost solar winds (cd to receiver), chord crimsons (receiver to power amp) and canare 4S11 speaker cable.I gained a lot more transparency and dynamic range by swapping out the average cables, totally worth it from where I started. 2) POWER - they need at least 150w to give you their best. I have a CA 640R hooked up to the bass and NAD C272 to the treble/mid.The sound tightened and got more authoritative when I added the power amp. 3) PLUGS - in my case the front ports needed a little taming, I had all but forgotten about the supplied plugs and installed them recently. This tightened the bass, given the way I have them close to a wall here. Whereas before these changes I wasn't totally sure I now feel very very happy with these babies. They are transparent, offer warm, sweet mids and deep bass. A joy to listen to.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by abidmrcog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
Best Speaker Ever . Excellent performance, still I am trying to find some thing better, but B&W is outclass, no one can beat its performance. It is now said that, If you have less money then go for 600 series and if have further more to spend then again go for B&W 800 series, there are plenty of models to find out in B&W world. 683 new have now taken over 604S3, I have not heard it, but it must sound better than previous.

Purchased At:   LOCAL STORE

B&W DM604 S3 - 22W x 2 class A tube amplifier good enough to drive them?

Want to upgrade to B&W DM 604 S3 speakers. Currently using 22W x 2 Class A tube amplifier and was told that better matching speakers with high sensitivity, Any advice to me please?Read More »

B&W DM604 S3 vs KEF iQ9?

New member! I am putting together a nice entry system. I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS Receiver and want to add some 3 way speakers to go with my smaller B&W 600i for the rear. I plan on buying a center channel and sub down the road. Both speakers sound quite good after listening a few ... Read More »

B&W DM604 S3 questions

Ijust bought the B&W DM604 S3 and I opened them up to find the color of the metal around the woofer to be black unlike the picture on the web which has them as silver. I was wondering if anyone who owns these in black has the same color as me or the silver ones. I like the silver one's better and ... Read More »