B&W DM603 S3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.72/5 (57 Reviews)

Slimmer than its predecessor, the DM603 S3 is a 2½-way floorstander. The lower 165mm (6½-in) aluminium cone driver features B&W''s mushroom construction and is restricted to bass frequencies only, where it operates in parallel with the Kevlar® cone bass / midrange driver. The reduced excursion demand on the bass / midrange unit reduces distortion, not only in the bass, but also in the midrange when accompanied by heavy bass. The result is greater clarity at higher replay levels.

The tweeter response in the ultrasonic region is improved for Series 3, recognising the needs of the new high resolution recording formats.

The well extended bass response and substantial output capability make the DM603 S3 fully at home in medium to large size rooms. In home theatre systems, partner with the LCR600 S3 centre speaker.

Submitted by Prithvish a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
Well i consider my self an audiophile after tremendously listening to and owning and researching about speakers and amp i have 2 combinational that i own.
B&WDM604 S3 Black Paired with a krell 400xi Black IS the Mammoth and hell ye the speakers rock !!!
B&WDM603 S3 Black Paired with a krell KAV 300i is the baby mammoth and ye it suffices a good sized bedroom!

First off my favorites B&W and Krell!!!!! Bottom Line you need a sub if use krell if you use rotel u can avoid it and helll ye if you biwire them the music has less bass but more life and clarity.

I got the BW 604 S3 for $800 secondhand and excellent condition it is definitely worth every dam penny!
The richness in the music is what you fall in love with in these speakers!

B&W603 S3 i know i cant compare them with the 604 but hell its a big difference it is good for your personal space but definitely not to power your home theater.

Bottom line they vary in sizes and weight and that says it all these speakers do not phase out in time it has a lot of life and has value in time to come.

I tend to buy products slowly and tend to make the best deal of what i can especially with the condition they are in. here is what i spent on my setups.

Krell 400xi- $1400
BW 603 - $550
604 - $800
Krell 300i -$950

never try to save a penny when you look for quality its always worth it!!!!

Submitted by Leo Hirschocker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
Previous speakers - Maggies, Infinity's, Wharfdale and Bose (for ease and wife). These speakers do it all. Precise, good bass, clean, open and not bright like my Infinity's. I still prefer the sound of Maggies but they are not practical. These are very practical to the point that my friends and children think they're tables. I've spiked them which made a difference and use good cable. Front end is Marantz - DV7010 and SR7400 amplification. I've listened to $100,000 systems when I was into it, can't say I can complain. If I were to upgrade it would be to an old tube amp and a high end CD player, just to hear what these lovely speakers sound like.

Submitted by kule a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Try them with Rotel1062 and some musical CD player and you will be in heaven for that money, wonderful mids,

Submitted by Scott Zepeda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
Tight bass, smooth mids and never fatiguing.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by JR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I use a Rotel RSX-1065 which power the B&W 603 S3's, I bought these speakers used on ebay. Although i am still breaking these in, because as you know anything that sits for any period of time needs a little break in again, they are starting to sound fanatastic, i never buy anything i don't audition first, but by taking a chance from reviews, the gamble paid off. I got a great deal on these speaks, 510.00 for the pair in mint condition. My room might be a little large for these speakers, but as long as i don't stray to far from the sweet spot they are awesome, as always room size, acoustics and speaker placement all come into play, so plan wisely, no need for a subwoofer. If i deaden my room a bit that would take care of what i'm looking for, the speakers are by no means harsh or bright, warm, breathy and airy. Can listen to for a long time and not sound fatigued. I am also using Xindak FS-1 speaker cables, which for the money are more than what i expected. Those too need to break in a bit, but from the time i hooked everything up till now, it all just keeps sounding better than my expectations.

Having Trouble locating B&W DM603 or 604 S3

I currently have B&W DM604 S3 as my fronts and put off getting any rears. Now am trying to find some 604s or 603s as rears and I can't. I found a pair of beat up 603 floor models at Ken Cranes but I hate beat up equipment. I am in Southern California but don't mind paying shipping either. Anyone ... Read More »