B&W DM 604 Floorstanding Speakers

4.19/5 (64 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

3-Way Relfex Speaker - (2) 7" Woofers, 7" Mid-Range and 1" Tweeter (1996-1999)

Submitted by Francois_2009 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had my 604's for about 10 years now.
They are driven by a Marantz SR-19 (110w/ch). Lot's of bass, clear vocals and great sounding highs
I keep them about 10ft apart with minimal toe in, and always on spikes. When off of the spikes the bass can get muddy and the sound not as transparent. I like my music loud, and the 604's sound the their best to my ears when played at moderate to high volumes. Although I use them mostly for stereo, they are in a theater setup with a B&W CC6 center, Omni 150 surrounds, and a Klipsh KSW12 sub. Even without a sub these speakers can deliver the deep rumbling lows for a great theater experience. When in stereo I never use the sub. These speaker have also been driven for a number a years by a less powerfull Harman Kardon 3600 stereo reciever (50w/ch) and they sounded to my ears almost as good as with the Marrantz SR-19.

Submitted by Booser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
Driving these 3-way towers in a bi-amped set-up. I use an Adcom GFA-535II on the high end, with an Adcom GFA-6000 (5 channel ht amp) on the low end. All of this is controlled via an Adcom GTP-860II HT Preamp. Audio and video content delivered via an Adcom GDV-850 disc player. Ok, stipulated, I like Adcom as an excellent example of the intersection of price and quality.

I find these DM604s to be excellent for my space. The room is effectively square at 22' by 18' with 10' ceiling. There are hardwood floors with some damping coming from two couches and a 12' by 9' turkish mid-pile carpet.

They function as the primary speakers for stereo (compromised by the placement of the couches) and as L and R for the HT. In this environment, I have not found the need to add a SW to my 5.1 set-up, preferring instead to control bass reponse via wall proximity. I find the bass powerful, though not overpowering. Where these speakers excel is in the high end and treble responses. There are arguments to be made about bi-amping, bi-wiring, or simply jumping the terminals, but in my tests, the bi-amping proved obviously superior. The high end proved the test.

For audio, I have enjoyed testing with three particularly well mastered albums: Radiohead "Kid A", Beck "Guero", and Prince [Symbol or Love Sign]. These albums truly push the frequency reponse and test your amplification. Properly amplified, they keep sound integrity down to the lowest volume with consistent imaging.

In the end, excellent dual-purpose towers. They will likely fail the most exacting audiophile irrespective of amplification, but considering the price:value ratio, superb.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by mfrench a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for 2 months, and, despite continual placement attempts, I've yet to to coax an acceptable sound stage from them. The image is compressed into the centre, with little or no width. Large amouts of toe-in did help a little. Its an understatement to say they require careful positioning. As for the bass, its great it you want them for home theatre use. For music reproduction the bass was too forward, and too dominating, for my taste.

Purchased At:   Stereo Exchange NYC

Submitted by jwsb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great value for money. Leans towards the bright side. Needs careful positioning for focus and imaging. I could imagine them doing well in a home theater set-up. A bit boomy. Plugged the port. these speakers need to be on its spikes as well to get a tight and defined bass. Hits low frequency extremes very well (This i noticed when amplified by Adcom SS Amp)Had it Driven by paragon 12A preamp and pair of 100+W Ambient Labs Mono Blocks- 6 6L6GC per channel.

Submitted by Joe a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very poor bass. Nothing you can do to correct this problem. Very boomy. Otherwise the sound is decent but nothing to write home about.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

High current amp for my B&W DM 604 S3s

Is there any way to tell in the specs if a receiver delivers a high level of current, or do you have to take the dealer's or manufacturer's word for it? I've got a pair of B&W 604 S3's that I use for mains, along with an LCR 600 S3 center channel. I've just started looking for a receiver or a proc ... Read More »