B&W DM 604 S2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.77/5 (65 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

Floorstanding 3-Way Loudspeaker

Submitted by zborbaski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
It's my first serious Speakers after Philips FB249...One word its excellent...I've used it with different combinations, first with Creative X-fi Platinum sound card + Philips FA 145 amp. the result was very interesting...after i used it with Custom Made Tube amp. (mono+mono 2x100W) it sounded hard as a stone, Soft as Velvet and deep as Infinity...soon i'm gona drive them with C.E.C. 3300r i hope it will match very good...I've listened the 602s2 bookshelf with Exposure 2010 it was very good...

Submitted by Tristan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
DM604 S2

It has been a wild ride!

I first tested out these speakers on a 15W amp to see how a smaller amp could handle them. Classic, golden sounding Pioneer SX450. They played okay and plesantly surprised me.

I then upgraded to a ARCAM A80 65wpc amp, and was using it with crappy cables (prob just as bad as most monster cable rubbish your average pleb uses). I got tired of crappy cable and got my mitts on some top of the range audioquest installer cabling. The single amp played them enough at parties, but not truely enough to power them safely at a higher volume, so I got an ARCAM P80 (65wpc) power amp and coupled that up for the bass.

Setup is A80 into mid/high and P80 into lows. Audioquest copperhead for line out to power amp. Image sub running cutoff freq of 40hz and boy, once the cables, speakers and amps wore in and bedded down the sound quality blew me away.

They have that 'pounding' sound when playing psytrance. Yet without loosing resolution. The highs, mids, bass are all very clearly defined and they can simply stonk along. With approx 130w per speaker in my setup they can be turned up enough that you can't sit in front of them without killing ya ears, yet you can walk around the house with crystal clear, undistorted sound.
They handle almost any music you throw at them. Black metal through to ambient.. they'll do it. The highs simply 'grab' you. I have not heard speakers that can grab my attention as much as these. It's even worse if you are under then influence - you simply cannot tear your attention away from them. It's almost too much!
The amount of times i've thought I've heard someones car pulling up or similar effects is astonishing. They reproduce sound that damn good that the sound source can easily trick you.

They'll fill a large lounge with ease, providing you a humungous sound stage up to the roof from wall to wall, in a small room they are a pain to position but boy.. they fill a small room to the extreme.

I have listened to $20k marantz systems and sorry.. but these things blew them away for about 1/3rd to half the total setup cost for me. If i'd bought them new then you'd be looking at about half the cost.

Weaknesses: Must have spikes, and bi wire (bi amp is better though :D). Neighbors don't like them... lol.
Physical size is a pain sometimes. A weakness is taht you'll always want to crank them. They're fine down low.. but compared to cranking when amps and everything is running at temp and warmed up good and proper.. not the same and never can be.

Submitted by Bonezilla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently replaced my Martin Logan Aeons front speakers with the 604's. The ML's are now my surrounds. I first heard the 604S2's a few years back and loved them. Unfortunately, at the time I couldn't afford them. I ended up buying the PSB 6T's. The PSB's were great speakers, but lacked the clarity of the 604's. One thing I found that really improved this speaker was adding speaker stands. I used a Lovan Jaz 600 and what a huge difference in sound. I couldn't believe how much better they sounded (if that was possible). The Lovans are a 6" stand. If you haven't tried this, you should.

Submitted by Bruce Baker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the S3 model.

I bought these speakers at the end of a two-year search. I began the search thinking I'd buy a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-960's, but the salesman played me three speakers I liked better, including the B&W DM 602's. Being totally confused, I put my search on hold until I came across a pair of Dynaudio 70's, which I liked a lot. Using the Dynaudios as the benchmark, I listened to the Vandersteen 2CE, Martin-Logan Scenario, Totem Staff, Snell E Tower, JMLab Cobalt. Almost as an afterthought, I auditioned the B&W DM603 and 604S3. End of story. I liked the 604's best. The high end is clear and airy while the midrange has plenty of punch. The low end is nice and full, with no need for a subwoofer. When I hooked them up at home, I nearly wept for joy! I told a friend that I have a symphony orchestra in my living room. And a jazz trio. And a 9-piece funk band.

Every night, I can't wait until the news is over so I can shut the tube off and play some music.

Purchased At:   Myer-Emco

Submitted by Bytefield a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
The 604 S2s are stunningly good speakers. Transparent and accurate highs, neutral midrange, exceptionally deep, tight bass. And man will they play loud.

These are the front speakers in our home theater (along with an LCR6 S2 center and 602 S2 surrounds). I was originally going to get five LCR6 S2s and a subwoofer, but got a great deal on these, barely used.

Our other speakers are Von Schweikert VR4s (big $3500 audiophile monsters), and the 604 is every bit their equal, except perhaps below 40Hz. But the 604s have plenty of bass; I have absolutely no desire to add a subwoofer.

Our HT room is a bit bright acoustically, but the 604s never sound harsh or shrill. Although we use them primarily for movies, they are excellent for music: The Buena Vista Social Club DVD-Audio disc sounds incredible, as close to perfect virtual reality as I've ever heard.

I don't award five stars lightly. I'm very picky, and have plenty of complaints about some of my other components, but I've never found anything to dislike about the 604s. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   secondhand