B&W DM 604 S2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.76/5 (67 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

Floorstanding 3-Way Loudspeaker

Submitted by kjones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2017

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair at a local pawn shop for $425. The price was low because one tweeter dome was damaged, the grills and the feet were missing but all the parts were easily obtainable on ebay. I performed an A/B test using a NAD 7020 PE amplifier and compared them to my McIntosh XR6, McIntosh XR14, Definitive Technology BP2006, Klipsch RF52 II, Pioneer HPM-40, HPM-700, CS-99A, Infinity Infinitesimal RS 1. Klipsch Quartet an Klipsch, Hersey II. I listen primarily to jazz. I prefered the DM604S2 above all except Klipsch Quartets and the Hersey IIs and those speakers are overdue for a crossover rebuild. I don't agree with other reviews that stated that subwoofers were not needed. The value of the DM604S2 continue to depreciate while the Klipsch's are appreciating. For my money I would sell these and use the profit to rebuild the Klipsch's.

Submitted by mal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2016

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers. There is a reason B&W speakers are great, and these are why. The new ones just don't add up! I listened to the 685's and all the reviews point to how excellent they are, but for the price and just how it is - they are not! I think the old school speakers have a place in the music world and i think that the quality and so forth is dropping in and over time, and the replacements as beautiful as they are can't compare.
i did buy these second hand and they are a bit scratched up, but its the sound i am after, and what a great sound. I have a anthem solid state integrated amp, with van den jul clear water cables, run off a computer, using modi usb to analog converter. And it all works really well.
Very smooth and sexy! Plays any music as well.

Submitted by zborbaski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
It's my first serious Speakers after Philips FB249...One word its excellent...I've used it with different combinations, first with Creative X-fi Platinum sound card + Philips FA 145 amp. the result was very interesting...after i used it with Custom Made Tube amp. (mono+mono 2x100W) it sounded hard as a stone, Soft as Velvet and deep as Infinity...soon i'm gona drive them with C.E.C. 3300r i hope it will match very good...I've listened the 602s2 bookshelf with Exposure 2010 it was very good...

Submitted by Tristan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
DM604 S2

It has been a wild ride!

I first tested out these speakers on a 15W amp to see how a smaller amp could handle them. Classic, golden sounding Pioneer SX450. They played okay and plesantly surprised me.

I then upgraded to a ARCAM A80 65wpc amp, and was using it with crappy cables (prob just as bad as most monster cable rubbish your average pleb uses). I got tired of crappy cable and got my mitts on some top of the range audioquest installer cabling. The single amp played them enough at parties, but not truely enough to power them safely at a higher volume, so I got an ARCAM P80 (65wpc) power amp and coupled that up for the bass.

Setup is A80 into mid/high and P80 into lows. Audioquest copperhead for line out to power amp. Image sub running cutoff freq of 40hz and boy, once the cables, speakers and amps wore in and bedded down the sound quality blew me away.

They have that 'pounding' sound when playing psytrance. Yet without loosing resolution. The highs, mids, bass are all very clearly defined and they can simply stonk along. With approx 130w per speaker in my setup they can be turned up enough that you can't sit in front of them without killing ya ears, yet you can walk around the house with crystal clear, undistorted sound.
They handle almost any music you throw at them. Black metal through to ambient.. they'll do it. The highs simply 'grab' you. I have not heard speakers that can grab my attention as much as these. It's even worse if you are under then influence - you simply cannot tear your attention away from them. It's almost too much!
The amount of times i've thought I've heard someones car pulling up or similar effects is astonishing. They reproduce sound that damn good that the sound source can easily trick you.

They'll fill a large lounge with ease, providing you a humungous sound stage up to the roof from wall to wall, in a small room they are a pain to position but boy.. they fill a small room to the extreme.

I have listened to $20k marantz systems and sorry.. but these things blew them away for about 1/3rd to half the total setup cost for me. If i'd bought them new then you'd be looking at about half the cost.

Weaknesses: Must have spikes, and bi wire (bi amp is better though :D). Neighbors don't like them... lol.
Physical size is a pain sometimes. A weakness is taht you'll always want to crank them. They're fine down low.. but compared to cranking when amps and everything is running at temp and warmed up good and proper.. not the same and never can be.

Submitted by Bonezilla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently replaced my Martin Logan Aeons front speakers with the 604's. The ML's are now my surrounds. I first heard the 604S2's a few years back and loved them. Unfortunately, at the time I couldn't afford them. I ended up buying the PSB 6T's. The PSB's were great speakers, but lacked the clarity of the 604's. One thing I found that really improved this speaker was adding speaker stands. I used a Lovan Jaz 600 and what a huge difference in sound. I couldn't believe how much better they sounded (if that was possible). The Lovans are a 6" stand. If you haven't tried this, you should.