B&W DM 603 Floorstanding Speakers

4.23/5 (75 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

7" Woofer, 7" Passive and 1" Tweeter (1996-1999)

Submitted by stijn_n a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Lack of good highs and good lows. (S2 and S3 fixed most of these problems, so buy these instead if you must buy B&W at this pricerange) Pretty decent midrange and the sound is like most B&W gear to warm (uncoloured sound anyone?). The price on these is ridiculous, even 2nd hand. For half the price you can find better and for the full price there will be no comparison.

Got lucky to sell them at the price I bought them.

Purchased At:   2nd-hand

Submitted by Bguy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers when all said and done.
I actually have 602.5 S2 speakers which are the same but with the nautilus Tweeter (apparenty not available eveywhere). I bought these as the price was right - About 360 pounds - and B&W reputation. I was told they need some time to be at their best & I must say this is true. My setup includes Denon 1602, Denon DVD 800 B&W 602 S2 Rears and CC6 Centre. No sub yet!. At first it seemed they lacked bass but I was impressed with the clarity of what was heard in HT and music. I found myself listening to old CDs to see what they sounded like. I hate to say it but guitars, PIANO's & voices sound very real. Piano's - Sad eh!. Anyway over time I am finding the bass is just getting better and better, not like a serious bass producing speaker but very noticeable tight bass that's a pleasure to hear (especially when the volumes wound up). I look forward to these combined with a good sub to have each speaker doing what is does best to produce a complete sound for both HT and music.
I like them - A lot!

Purchased At:   DA Morrisons, New Ze

Submitted by dcmulli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great sound for the price! Will work in a small or large room. A lot of bass from a passive radiator. Tweeters could use some work. The series II have Nautilus Tweeters(A Big Improvement!!)

Purchased At:   Tri-City

Submitted by IANLINNMAN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have now used these speakers for 3 years. They are top material. Used with a Linn Mimik CD player, Linn Wakonda pre-amp and a Linn LK100 amp. I wonder how many of the negative reviewers of this product actually listen to the music. (you question their intelligence when they didn't realise the speaker contains an ABR rather than driven woofer) If you appreciate music rather than hardware, you won't be diappointed.

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had 603's since early '97. An excellent speaker, musical and durable. Bass response is limited, but not an issue with me as I have a sub and configure my receiver to deliver all content below 80 Hz to the sub. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Century Stereo

Building HT-suggest AVR with B&W DM 603

Hi there I am looking at building a HT set up with a budget of $4K(audio). I wish to go for the 2 mains and the AV Receiver in the first phase and upgrade the equipment by adding center, surrounds and sub later. After having heard some brands of speakers, I think the B&W DM 603 best suit my b ... Read More »

B&W DM 603 S3 vs. PARADIGM STUDIO 60V2

I HAVE THE B&W DM 603 S3's BUT I AM THINKING OF REPLACING THEM WITH THE PARADIGM STUDIO 60 V2's. IS THIS A GOOD IDEA OR AM I MAKING A BIG MISTAKE. I'D LIKE BETTER MIDRANGE CLARITY AND TRANSPARENCY AND I'VE READ THAT THE PARADIGM'S ARE BETTER THAN THE B&W'S. PLEASE HELP! ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY ... Read More »