B&W DM 603 S2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (118 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Floorstanding 2.5-Way Loudspeaker - 7" Bass, 7" Mid and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by NickJ992 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I called myself an "audio enthusiast", but have been into audio since my high school days in the 1960's. I've had Warfdales, Infinity, Klipsh, Advent (large 2 pairs), and more. I have worked in 1960's "Hi-Fi" stores in the Midwest years ago and auditioned all brands of speakers, preamps, amps, and audio receivers. But I don't presume to be an audiophile as there always seems to be someone more nuts about audio than me :).
That being said, these B&W 602 S3 speakers provide the most natural and solid sound presentation in any listening room up to 400 square feet or more that I've had. I have a diverse music interest on both vinyl and CDs. Everything from John Williams and Eric Kunzel on Telarc, Narada and Windham Hill, '50's through '90s rock and pop, jazz orignals, Frank, Tony, Dean and more. These speakers are classics and I would be hard pressed to part with them unless I could audition another model or brand using my own equipment. I've driven them with my venerable Phase Linear 700B/2000 combination and currently am using them with a Boston AVR7120 for both music listening and home theater. These speakers offer astounding clarity and presence for music and thunderous realism for today's DVD soundtracks. The warmth and smoothness when playing an LP on my Dual 1229/Audio Technica AT15SA combo are just a pleasure to percieve. And Gerald Albright "Live At Birdland" is like being there on CD. I also own a pair of B&W 640's and while those speakers have their place (mostly in larger listening rooms, such as my lower level family room), the DM603s are my favorites.
I picked these up from an estate sale and they had been in a little used library/den since new. They were a bit dusty, but in pristine condition after a gentle dusting with a soft paint brush and vacuum. If you are fortunate enough to find these gems, by all means, don't pass them up!

Submitted by J T Nicks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I picked these up from an estate sale and they had been in a little used library/den since new. They were a bit dusty, but pristine after a gentle brushing with soft paint brush and vacuum. If you are fortunate enough to find these gems, by all means, don't pass them up!

Submitted by noel visser a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
i have purchased the speakers years ago and at the time i was not really stunned by them then i thought ill think ill buy a new av amp marantz sr 8500 and matching dvd player and they really came alive i am using the 603 s as front speakers and two pairs of the 602 and a rel active sub which i dont need listening to stereo sources the bass is really clean the midrange and high frequencies works very well for me i listen often to live recordings cd and music dvd s and for this kind of speakers its really worth your money and didnt buy them second hand but new a good choice

Submitted by powr2burn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these wonders knowing they had issues. I replaced the tweeters and crossovers for a total of $180.00 from B&W with a total of $560.00 invested. I have got to say this is one of the best investments I have ever made. For those who say the low end is lacking, I can only say they just don't have equipment that can make hese puppies sing. I am an anolog kind of guy, using a Thorens TD320 turntable with pristine vinyl using an Audio Technica 152 LP cart, a McIntosh C 28 Preamp, a McIntosh MC2100 amp and, my reviewing wonders the B&W 603 S2 speakers. WOW!! The lows thump with accuracy and produce a sound only live performance can rival. The mids are smooth, silky and lifelike. The highs, what can I say, the Nautilus tweeters are the most accurate at this price range that money can buy, period!! What a deal!! I have listened to everything from classical, jazz, blues, new age to rock and they reproduce the sound accurately and lifelike. My recommmendation is... if they don't sound great for you, it's your equipment you are using, not the speakers! It would cost much more in other brands to even closely rival the performance of the B&W 603 S2 speakers.

Submitted by Walker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
These speakers are great. I use them on a CA azur 540a and they sound fantastic. Lot's of power and never that irritating bass you hear in many speakers.
The highs are very pleasing to the ear. These speakers can fill the room with music and you can still have a conversation.

Purchased At:   private