B&W DM 3000 Floorstanding Speakers

5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $1900.00

DM 3000 were high end speakers just below the 800 series in the early 1980s.

They are five sided and feature two kevlar drive units and a plastic tweeter plus a passive radiator which looks similar to the ones on 704s. These speakers would be where the CDM and 700 series at today.

Sensitivity was 89db. The pair weighed 77 lbs. They went down to 50 hz. Crossover frequencies were 500 hz and 3000 hz

They featured electronic time delay.

Submitted by JOHN HOCHSTRASSER a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had listened to these speakers at the dealer (NY) but could not afford them at the time. When B&W discontinued them, the dealer called me and I was able to buy them at half price. They remain the center of my system. I originally powered them with a Harmon Kardon amp that I built from a kit. I always thought the speakers lacked mid range. I replaced the HK amp in 2002 with a Classe' 100watt/channel amp at the speakers found the mid range. They have not gone without issues, but B&W has provided rapid assistance. One month after purchase, one speaker quit. I called the dealer who had me bring it to the shop immediately. When I arrived, I was met by the B&W sales rep who was visiting the store. He removed the speaker and found a voice coil solder joint that had failed. He called the B&W warehouse and I had a replacement speaker in 2 days. In 2006, one of the woofer voice coils failed. B&W directed me to a company that rebuilds speakers and the problem was fixed. The 200W Classe' provides enough power for my set up. Clipping has never occurred so I have no fear of replacing it with a more powerful Classe'. I have been building personal stereo systems since the 1950's, when worked with the Baldwin Piano Company acoustics lab. Sound reproduction is a very personal experience. While my systen sounds great to me and to my children, it fails to impress my wife. I have been fortunate to have found an equipment combination that works. My local audio dealer (I live in KY now) has been great and helped me improve the cables and try several amps. I will probably have to change all of the equipment in the system at some point but I intend to keep the speakers. I am now looking for used DM3000's to make sure that I have a store of spare parts. These speakers are never harsh or intrusive. They are sweet and accurately produce the sound that is transmitted to them. Pure highs, great bass and now, smooth mid range.

Submitted by polyglot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I like their clarity and sound stage, comparable to the early 801 and I assume -in terms of price and quality- analogous to the current 704 series. During the 10 years or so they performed flawlessly to a varied setups and were easy to drive with both tube and solid state amps. Placement was easy
Sad to see them go but my 802N are doing a great job making me forget about them.
If you can find them used, I would certainly recommend to give them a try as a serious entry level gear.

Submitted by polytechbiz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought them in 1987, after auditioning the DM2000 and the DM 3000. The 2000 was a smaller, 2 way system vs the 2 1/2 way of the 3000.
I like the clarity and sound stage, comparable to the early 801 and I assume -in terms of price and quality- analogous to the relative current 704 series. Overall clean reproduction by the soft dome tweeter and mid-range/woofer and tight bass. Placement wasnt difficult.
The electronic time delay in the crossover to produce a coherent phase between the tweeter and woofers was a great design.
As all great speakers, you need quality material downstream. Their tendency towards soft music reproduction makes it easy to drive with either tube or solid state.
Over the span of 10 years that I kept them (to make way for the 802N) , I had an excellent time listening to them.

Submitted by Alpay Sirek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
They are wonderful sounding speakers, they could be a little warmer in the midrange. The more power I feed them they better they sound. They are a silk dome tweeter. The overload protection is really cool, if the speaker cannot draw enough power to recreate the low end frequencies then the crossover cuts power to the woofers so that they are not damaged.