B&W DM 220 Floorstanding Speakers

4.59/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $580.00

3-Way Speaker - 8" Woofer, 8" Midrange and 1" Soft-Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Ruurd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
When i first bought a “serious” sound system” it was an Sansui au-217 AMP with a set of B&W DM-110i speakers. Man... that sounded good compared to my standard computer speakers.
When i moved to another house i also wanted other speakers. I bought some B&W 620i, they broke down after an accident with my cat and the speakers itself. Then i had the oppertunity to buy a Sansui au-517 for around 150 Euro. I had the chance to buy a set of B&W 603S3 as well.
When i hooked the 603 on the au-517 i was missing something. I went on the hunt for 2 monoblocks. It where 2 Rotel RB-850BX. Pure poiwer what went in the speakers at that momenty and i tought i'll never had to change my system again. BUT... when some un expected bills came on the floormat, i wass FORCED to sell them and went back to my DM-110i. Well they did the job.
I was missing something that was for sure and that was BASS!!.
When a little money came in i went on the hunt for some DM-220i.

I had a change to buy them for 90 euro. So i went with a buddy of mine to pick them up. Once arrrived we hooked them up on my sansui au-217 and blasted some judas priest true them.
Hey i cant hear Halford's voice very well. One tweeter was blown. So after negotiation withe the fellow, i could have them for 60 euro. So at home i replaced the tweeter from the 110i tot the 220i.
Hooked them up on the rotel amplifiers with the sansui connected to them. And it was good!!!
BUT!!! When i connected them directly to the Sansui AU-517 ….. i could NOT believe my ears.

That Detail
That soundstage
The overall preformance

Let me tell you when i got a chance to buy another set i deffenitly will!
Remember i also had the B&W 603S3 but these babies blow them out of the water!

Music i listen to is heavy metal and hardrock.

Submitted by Jan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers new back in 1986 for 800 guilders (pair) when they were on sale (regular rice at the time was 1000 dutch guilders). They were simply the best speakers within my budget. Overall very balanced sound from low to high, clear, sparkling sound, well defined spatial image with orchestras, but does require quite a large room for god bass performance, otherwise basses sound like they are "cut off". They need quite some space from the wall and off the floor. if your chamber is less than 5x5m (15x15ft), you might want something smaller, but if you have space, orchestras come out very convincing.

In the higher ranges, strings, e.g violins, might soud a bit glassy, as if the tweeter dome is made of glass.

The most remarkable aspect of these speakers is that they perform equally well with jazz, classical, pop, rock and instrumental music.

I use them with a Denon pma720a amplifier (2x15W in class A, 2x80w in AB), and after 25 years, I still don't feel the need to buy new speakers.

Its bigger brother, DM330 of DM330i, is an even better choice since you won't need a stand to put them on.

Submitted by huibert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
A friend of my have the B and W loadspeakers,I have a complete audiophile equipment with spectral ,goldmund and sony player avalon speakers and siltech and mit cable so i can make a judgement.
My friend, who own the B and W speakers and I give him a old luxman L3 amplifier ( which I repaired )with monster 400and 600 cable and a old Denon DCD 895 cd player and van den Hull speaker cables and the sound is perfect ,It is smooth beautiful in space ,maybe not the last bit in resolution but a sound I can life with for many years.

Submitted by Alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to put my two cents in on a fantastic set of speakers.

I have a setup which includes a proton d940 amp driving NHT Super One bookshelfs and a boston vr500 sub. Sounded great absolutely loved it.

Then a buddy at work said he was getting rid of some B&W DM220I speakers that had been sitting in his garage for $100, with very few hours. I really had nothing to loose, and being the audio dork I am I decided to take them home and hook them up..

Let me tell you.. the sound of these speakers are amazing... The Mids are very full and detailed.. You can hear each string played on guitar..at a level of detail in the mid range that I didn't have with my super ones. and the highs are not bright... like the super ones. Inherently the NHT Superones that i had been using are slightly bright and very inefficient but they are great speakers.

However.. there really is no comparison to the B&W... the dynamics that this system is able to achieve because of their increased sensitivity vs the NHT is staggering. I have so much headroom with this amp I can barely turn it past 10 o'clock and I have all I want.

Let me just say... that without a sub these things are a little boomy on the lower end .In my situation I'm sure that lots of it has to do with placement. But really thats my only complaint.

If you find a set of these I would not hesitate to pick them up.

Submitted by spkrfixr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
Having won these B & W DM220i's (without grilles) for £41.00 on eBay, I was delighted to find that I had bought speakers that could begin to live up to the standard of my old Tannoy Lancasters and, at such a low price.

Although supposed to be floor standers, I found that the old adage of tweeters at eye leve,l showed that they seemed to perform best on stands that achieved this height, especially when positioned a foot or so away from the wall. With a crisp and bright treble range and smooth, open, natural bass response, their performance, reproducing my preferred classical music library, made me a very happy man indeed. I particularly enjoyed finding, unusually in speakers, that they reproduced speech without sounding boxy.

I must agree with other reviewers that, not surprisingly, they do perform best with better amplifiers. They seemed to work particularly well with the Technics SU-500 class AA output stages.

Originally hoping to pass these on at a small profit, I now find myself unable to part with them, and they will have to squeeze in with all the rest of the vintage hifi paraphernalia that I love playing with in my retirement.

I have since found some DM 570's (breathtaking) and DM 110's (superb) on eBay and seem to to have become something of a B & W addict. Especially, I enjoy these older vintage models as they are now available at prices I can afford, not yet having the funds to pay the fancy prices asked for the newer models,

With this in mind, if I were forced to find some aspect of these lovely old speakers to criticise, I would say that the mid range performance does not appear to be quite as strong, accurate and clear as that produced by the DM 570's. That being said, I can listen to them all day long without the fatigue that seems to appear when using many of the other speakers I have experienced.

B&W DM 220 Driver Question

Good Day All...I have just purchased 2 8" drivers from a DM 220 set. When I got home and read the magnet tag info. one driver read... Bass and mid unit ref BZ 200/16 the other one reads... Bass and mid unit ref BZ 200/220 any explanations on why the numbers differ...also it appears the dm 220 ... Read More »