B&W DM 220 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $580.00

3-Way Speaker - 8" Woofer, 8" Midrange and 1" Soft-Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers new in, if I remember correctly, 1988 on year-end sale for about 800 Dutch guilders and they have served me ever since. At first they were hooked up to a Onkyo amp. Over the years I had been very pleased with them, but as time passed by I was looking around for something else. I could never find anything that really grabbed me at the throat in the shop.
I already chosen a different amp based on the tripath technology (Poppulse T-150) which improved the sound somewhat.
When I was discussing this with a friend, who had built his own 20k worth of audiophile speakers, he said that instead of buying new speakers I could also try to upgrade the DM220i's since these late 80 speakers were mass produced and often cost were cut on filter parts. That's when i decided to re-cap the filters using special audio capacitors and resistors, leaving the original coils to save some money. Next to that, on his advice too, I added some thick sticky foil (the one that's used in car doors to make them sound better when they're closed) to stiffen the speakers' box.
All in all, I think I spend about EUR 150 on this speaker revival and it has been worth every cent. This filter upgrade improved the tightness of the bass, the overall soundstage became much wider. They're a whole different set of speakers now.
I placed them on massive blocks (100 kg each) which are on spikes on a tile floor, to compensate for the height.
The only problem is; I'm thinking about upgrading because of the looks (the vacuum cleaner hose left some damage over the years....), but that will set me back at least 2 - 3k to further improve the sound. A very good reason to hold on to them for another couple of years.

Submitted by Ruurd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
When i first bought a “serious” sound system” it was an Sansui au-217 AMP with a set of B&W DM-110i speakers. Man... that sounded good compared to my standard computer speakers.
When i moved to another house i also wanted other speakers. I bought some B&W 620i, they broke down after an accident with my cat and the speakers itself. Then i had the oppertunity to buy a Sansui au-517 for around 150 Euro. I had the chance to buy a set of B&W 603S3 as well.
When i hooked the 603 on the au-517 i was missing something. I went on the hunt for 2 monoblocks. It where 2 Rotel RB-850BX. Pure poiwer what went in the speakers at that momenty and i tought i'll never had to change my system again. BUT... when some un expected bills came on the floormat, i wass FORCED to sell them and went back to my DM-110i. Well they did the job.
I was missing something that was for sure and that was BASS!!.
When a little money came in i went on the hunt for some DM-220i.

I had a change to buy them for 90 euro. So i went with a buddy of mine to pick them up. Once arrrived we hooked them up on my sansui au-217 and blasted some judas priest true them.
Hey i cant hear Halford's voice very well. One tweeter was blown. So after negotiation withe the fellow, i could have them for 60 euro. So at home i replaced the tweeter from the 110i tot the 220i.
Hooked them up on the rotel amplifiers with the sansui connected to them. And it was good!!!
BUT!!! When i connected them directly to the Sansui AU-517 ….. i could NOT believe my ears.

That Detail
That soundstage
The overall preformance

Let me tell you when i got a chance to buy another set i deffenitly will!
Remember i also had the B&W 603S3 but these babies blow them out of the water!

Music i listen to is heavy metal and hardrock.

Submitted by Jan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers new back in 1986 for 800 guilders (pair) when they were on sale (regular rice at the time was 1000 dutch guilders). They were simply the best speakers within my budget. Overall very balanced sound from low to high, clear, sparkling sound, well defined spatial image with orchestras, but does require quite a large room for god bass performance, otherwise basses sound like they are "cut off". They need quite some space from the wall and off the floor. if your chamber is less than 5x5m (15x15ft), you might want something smaller, but if you have space, orchestras come out very convincing.

In the higher ranges, strings, e.g violins, might soud a bit glassy, as if the tweeter dome is made of glass.

The most remarkable aspect of these speakers is that they perform equally well with jazz, classical, pop, rock and instrumental music.

I use them with a Denon pma720a amplifier (2x15W in class A, 2x80w in AB), and after 25 years, I still don't feel the need to buy new speakers.

Its bigger brother, DM330 of DM330i, is an even better choice since you won't need a stand to put them on.

Submitted by huibert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
A friend of my have the B and W loadspeakers,I have a complete audiophile equipment with spectral ,goldmund and sony player avalon speakers and siltech and mit cable so i can make a judgement.
My friend, who own the B and W speakers and I give him a old luxman L3 amplifier ( which I repaired )with monster 400and 600 cable and a old Denon DCD 895 cd player and van den Hull speaker cables and the sound is perfect ,It is smooth beautiful in space ,maybe not the last bit in resolution but a sound I can life with for many years.

Submitted by Alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to put my two cents in on a fantastic set of speakers.

I have a setup which includes a proton d940 amp driving NHT Super One bookshelfs and a boston vr500 sub. Sounded great absolutely loved it.

Then a buddy at work said he was getting rid of some B&W DM220I speakers that had been sitting in his garage for $100, with very few hours. I really had nothing to loose, and being the audio dork I am I decided to take them home and hook them up..

Let me tell you.. the sound of these speakers are amazing... The Mids are very full and detailed.. You can hear each string played on guitar..at a level of detail in the mid range that I didn't have with my super ones. and the highs are not bright... like the super ones. Inherently the NHT Superones that i had been using are slightly bright and very inefficient but they are great speakers.

However.. there really is no comparison to the B&W... the dynamics that this system is able to achieve because of their increased sensitivity vs the NHT is staggering. I have so much headroom with this amp I can barely turn it past 10 o'clock and I have all I want.

Let me just say... that without a sub these things are a little boomy on the lower end .In my situation I'm sure that lots of it has to do with placement. But really thats my only complaint.

If you find a set of these I would not hesitate to pick them up.

B&W DM 220 Driver Question

Good Day All...I have just purchased 2 8" drivers from a DM 220 set. When I got home and read the magnet tag info. one driver read... Bass and mid unit ref BZ 200/16 the other one reads... Bass and mid unit ref BZ 200/220 any explanations on why the numbers differ...also it appears the dm 220 ... Read More »