B&W CM 4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (35 Reviews)

The CM 4 is the stylish floor-standing speaker of the series. Tube loading the tweeter ensures far greater absorption of unwanted radiation from the rear of the diaphragm. The resulting effect is to create a more focused and natural high frequency sound. The bass unit is made from aluminium, which was selected for its excellent stiffness and ability to function as a piston. Twin Flowports at the rear of the cabinet have surfaces dimpled like a golf ball to smooth the airflow and reduce turbulence. The lower Flowport is integrally moulded with the terminal tray.

Submitted by joseph-a a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
Very bright speaker and it needs floor carpets and wall coverings to soften that British harshness. The front aluminum plate removal helps in softening those metallic highs.
Bass is tight but only a tad deeper than my Linn Index II. Linn are impressive if placed close to walls.
Poorly reproduce saxophone. To compare with the smaller Linn, they omit certain saxophone notes and the human voice is more natural on the Kef driver-ed Linns. To be musical they need lots of power and be placed far away from the walls, thus losing in the bass department. Reviews seem to be favourable but compared to smaller Linn Index II and my old favorites Infinity RS 4000 they do not hold water. Overpriced and over hyped. One midrange replaced and now one tweeter on the blink as I cranked them with the treble adjustment forgotten at +1 or one o'

Submitted by henrygrrken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Bottom Line:
thespeakeroutthere

Submitted by kera a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
Wow! is that all I can say. I upgraded from a pair of Mirage Frx-7s which I thought were awesome. But the B&W CM4 is way out of the league. I use them primarily for music. The bass is tight and the vocals sound so good. Clear mid-range and highs. I now realize what I have been missing. I paid $650 for a used pair. Many reviewers here mentioned how beautiful it looks. I won't completely agree with that because my old Mirages look prettier IMHO; but that is subjective. I bought them for sound, and it delivers that well. They appear to be very efficient too. I use a NAD 705 with 45W RMS per channel. It can drive them load enough at 20 % of peak power.

Submitted by afruin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned alot of speakers, and have finally settled on B&W CM4's. They are supreme in build, quality of finish and sound. The bass is smooth and extends really low. The treble is very clear and concise. Listen to music and you can relax. Watch a movie and you can really feel every bump. The midrange could be improved, although for a 6 inch cone, it does its best. If you want midrange go buy some Tannoys with 15 inch drivers, but they would upset the wife etc! I love these so much I now own 3 pairs of CM4's and one pair of CM2's in my office ! I pair these with Arcam A65 and DV79s. Not the best in the world.. but as a setup it just works very well. I'm now in a position where I can listen to my music, and not hifi!

Submitted by deadsexy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
Definitely the blacksheap of the B&w family. Different because the cm4 is the most forgiving and yet most musical speaker yet to come from this giant of a company. It's got strong bass for it's size with a slightly recessed midband (very smooth)and a not too sharp yet detailed treble. Needs a dynamic amplifier to be at it's best; It works very good with my Naim 5 series kit where I'm often asking myself "what more do I need/want"
I tried the belching farting 600 series and no comparo; I've listened to the 800's and still prefer the cm4's - not because they're better, but more in tune with my listening bias's; I tend to look for speaks that'll play all sorts of music styles and NOT dictate what I should listen to. What can I say? I like my pop music.
Anylitical speakers? -you can keep em' I'll take my cm4's and enjoy the tunes while the powergeeks nitpic thier tweekery...

Purchased At:   local dealer

B&W launches 4 new speakers in CM Line

For those who think Audiophilia is dying, just check out the ever-expanding lines of some of the major brands and think again... B&W launches 4 new speakers in CM Line: [url]http://www.electronichouse.com/article/bw_offers_up_4_new_speakers/C18[/url] I really like the CM1, but it's 5 inch d ... Read More »