B&W CDM7 NT Floorstanding Speakers

4.62/5 (79 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by Bryan Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
Amazingly detailed speaker. If someone dropped a pin during the recording session, you would hear it. They look nice, aren't too big, can play loud and handle all kinds of music well. Wonderful for acoustic guitar music--they do that VERY well.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by steve westwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
as stated by others , these speakers have fantastic mid range and when tube driven give a liquid mid range and simply beautiful vocals. Try some India Arie, Joss Stone, Corrine Baley Rae etc and the hairs will stand up on your neck.
Speed and timing are lightning quick and bass is tight and extended but not possibly not as punchy perhaps as some rockers would like. In my opinion this seems quite source dependant. Dynamic material (anything by electro disco group Yello - especially "tied up " ) on vinyl is punchy enough and speed and timing of these speakers is amply demonstated- just fantastic.
With tubes amps the top end brightness is tamed and if anything maybe a tad too much. I have been listening without the tweeter covers and think its a little brighter without them. These speakers replaced "a pair of wardrobes" otherwise known as SD acoustics SD 1's which had more front thn my other half could tolerate. Some reviewers rate the NT tweeters very highly and they are very good but it was hard act to follow after the ribbon tweaters n the SD1's.
i have a HT set up with these and a REL sub integrates well with the neutric connector and gives worthwhile extension.
Overall delighted especially as they please even when not in use.

Purchased At:   technosound MK

Submitted by steve westwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Overall delighted especially as they please even when not in use.

Purchased At:   technosound MK

Submitted by Peter Duminy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am going to be honest with you all from the start. I worked for B&W in the 1970's before coming to Canada. I was on their design team on the DM6 and some other projects. Having said that I have owned Mission in the past and Cyrus Loudspeakers.
It was time for me to upgrade and I listened to many designs and Company's products. There was something however about this machine that grabbed my ear. It is the clarity that has to be heard to understand my comments. I feel a smooth tube sound Amplifier works the best, giving a fast neutral sound. Bass is deep and so quick, with excellent power handling, and a smooth mid and high band that has an airiness that is enchanting.
The styling is very eye catching, and the finish of the enclosures is truly first rate. I do not receive any endorsement fees or perks from the Factory, so what i am writing are my own unbiased feelings. In my opinion, A Hard Act to Follow!

Submitted by TWag a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed these for almost a year now and wanted to share my experience as I have used these reviews to begin my research when purchasing a product. These CDM's are part of a 5-channel B&W system, and are definately the key when playing an explosive scene in a movie or for 2 channel music playback. I was using a Yamaha RXV-2400 with audioquest biwires. The speakers are noticeably bright when new, and become more natural once broken in. The movies played from the Denon player comes across clean and with remarkable separation, no matter what the volume. The music playback is inviting and gives new life to vocals when surrounded by a loud soundtrack. For example, I played my wife's Ray of Light CD by Maddonna because the bass would distort her voice in a stock stereo setup. When the 7NT's were used, her voice came on, and there was perfect separation and clarity. I've enjoyed dozens of movies with these and agree with the previous reviews about these speakers being paired up with the right components. I finally moved up to separates and already notice the fullness in the midrange that I felt was missing. I noticed the same result at a hi-fi store nearby who used the same speakers with Rotel separates. So if your at the level of contemplating more expensive quality speakers, make sure you have the right equipment to play them. By the way(for the wives), my wife loves the way the cabinets look.

Purchased At:   Ken Crane's