B&W CDM1 NT Floorstanding Speakers

4.62/5 (77 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Upgrade of the CDM1 and CDM1SE speakers by use of Nautilus Tube for high frequency reproduction.

Submitted by Gregg KinKade a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have had my CDM1NT's for almost 16 years. I first powered them with my Citation (250 watts per) amplifier ... sounded fantastic ... but I recently moved from a stand alone home to a townhouse ... so I exchanged the Citation with my Adcom 535 ... a lot less power but so very smooth and detailed ... I have these paired with a Pardigm 15, sub w/ 250 watts RMS .... the sound stage is like you are in the orchestra or in the band .... I play some of my reference OMR / Telarc CD's ( yes gold cd' s sound better) ... and I can not believe it ... then I play some of my half speed masters or 200 gram EU vinyl and all are spellbound ... MY CD player is a Marantz 6005, my pre is an Adcom 750.... my TT is a Denon DP59L

Submitted by Davidave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
Purchased a pair of CDM-1NT's and the CDM center for $620 on Craigslist. I was using a lower powered Marantz AVR (50 Watts/Channel) and they sounded good but not great. Upgraded to an Anthem MRX500 and the quality and fullness of the sound increased significantly. I agree with one of the previous reviewers that the low end at ~60HZ doesn't have a completely satisfying depth. I paired it with an older B&W AWS600 (closed box) and it complemented the CDM's perfectly. I've listened to everything from electronic, jazz (Diana Krall,..etc), rock and 3.1 "surround", they all sound fantastic, absolutely no complaints. I would suggest if you can get a solid set of used speakers, it's well worth the investment. Also, I didn't need it in this case but B&W has an extensive inventory of spare parts for older models, a great resource if a tweeter needs to be replaced.

Submitted by Scubaguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
Simply put this speaker does all that is asked of it. The detail is amazing, sound stage is unbelievable! Construction is very well done, the finish impeccable. Given this a book-shelf speaker, there are certain aspects that are lacking such as deep bass cutoff is 60Hz. With that withstanding, the mid-range is smooth with the right amount of crispness for the range intended. The upper-range is out of this world, thanks to the Nautilus Tube it's light and airy, not bright or harsh what so ever.

Submitted by Gal77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
Payed £350 Ebay dropped in a new pair of drivers from B&W for £65 a pop so total cost of speakers £480 all in and i also have the spare drivers, as mine were fine only decided to replace them so i had spares.
I find these speakers have plenty of attack, they manage all kinds of music with ease.
I use them in a 16ftx14ft room and they are perfect for this size room.
I have also used these with a pair of subs and it was the perfect combo for me.
Saying that if you are in a flat or appartment that may be overkill (^.
These are very good speakers for the money.Highs 5 \ 5,Mids 5 \ 5, Bass 4.5 \ 5.
Getting harder to find nowadays people are moving on but hanging onto these they are that good.
I use mono blocks with mine and they sound precise.I have also bi-amped them very detailed indeed.
I found these very easy to run, i bi-amped them for the sake of trial & error.

Submitted by buddhaaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
2008/2009 they are still great. Now they are even higher value for money than before as you can get a pair between 400 and 700 USD averywhere in the world. At this price they are a steal. Even if you are on a budget they will take you into the Highend world.
I know this speakers very well as I owned CDM1 CDM1SE and CDM1NT before. Unfortunately I had sold my pair some years ago but bought one second hand again.
Their tonal balance is outstanding. Jazz, Sax, Vocal, Classics are their favourites.
I love them as they are easy to partner. Great dynamics also with small amps. A good match are Cyrus 8, 8vs, 8vs2 or Naim 5 amps. I have always used Kimber 8TC. The 4TC might be too bright sounding for them.
Biwire with care as the tweeter might get to forward.

With the right partners they deliver an unbelievable tight and punchy bass in smaller rooms. I prefer Cyrus amps for the extra fun factor.

Again: They must be some of the most beautiful small speakers that have ever been on the market and probably the highest value-for-money B&W has ever made. Shure the 805 are a little better and the 805S are better but remember their price.

In the end of 2008 they are still a "Best Buy"

Purchased At:   Ebay