B&W CDM1 NT Floorstanding Speakers

4.61/5 (75 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Upgrade of the CDM1 and CDM1SE speakers by use of Nautilus Tube for high frequency reproduction.

Submitted by Scubaguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
Simply put this speaker does all that is asked of it. The detail is amazing, sound stage is unbelievable! Construction is very well done, the finish impeccable. Given this a book-shelf speaker, there are certain aspects that are lacking such as deep bass cutoff is 60Hz. With that withstanding, the mid-range is smooth with the right amount of crispness for the range intended. The upper-range is out of this world, thanks to the Nautilus Tube it's light and airy, not bright or harsh what so ever.

Submitted by Gal77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
Payed £350 Ebay dropped in a new pair of drivers from B&W for £65 a pop so total cost of speakers £480 all in and i also have the spare drivers, as mine were fine only decided to replace them so i had spares.
I find these speakers have plenty of attack, they manage all kinds of music with ease.
I use them in a 16ftx14ft room and they are perfect for this size room.
I have also used these with a pair of subs and it was the perfect combo for me.
Saying that if you are in a flat or appartment that may be overkill (^.
These are very good speakers for the money.Highs 5 \ 5,Mids 5 \ 5, Bass 4.5 \ 5.
Getting harder to find nowadays people are moving on but hanging onto these they are that good.
I use mono blocks with mine and they sound precise.I have also bi-amped them very detailed indeed.
I found these very easy to run, i bi-amped them for the sake of trial & error.

Submitted by buddhaaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
2008/2009 they are still great. Now they are even higher value for money than before as you can get a pair between 400 and 700 USD averywhere in the world. At this price they are a steal. Even if you are on a budget they will take you into the Highend world.
I know this speakers very well as I owned CDM1 CDM1SE and CDM1NT before. Unfortunately I had sold my pair some years ago but bought one second hand again.
Their tonal balance is outstanding. Jazz, Sax, Vocal, Classics are their favourites.
I love them as they are easy to partner. Great dynamics also with small amps. A good match are Cyrus 8, 8vs, 8vs2 or Naim 5 amps. I have always used Kimber 8TC. The 4TC might be too bright sounding for them.
Biwire with care as the tweeter might get to forward.

With the right partners they deliver an unbelievable tight and punchy bass in smaller rooms. I prefer Cyrus amps for the extra fun factor.

Again: They must be some of the most beautiful small speakers that have ever been on the market and probably the highest value-for-money B&W has ever made. Shure the 805 are a little better and the 805S are better but remember their price.

In the end of 2008 they are still a "Best Buy"

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by powr2burn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
Best deal of the century! I also have a pair of B&W 603 S2's that sound fantastic, but these are in a class all by themselves. It's hard to believe that a speaker this size can have the range that it commands. The mids and highs surpass my 603's with the incredible, realistic sound reproduction these exude. I have listened to the B&W 704's & 805's and these are better than the 704's and I can't justify the price difference between these and the 805's, they are that close in sound quality. The bass in the 603 S2's surpasses these, but the mids and highs are like butter on a hot skillet...sizzlin! From the first time I listened to them, I sat back and could do nothing but smile. The clarity of vocals, soundstage, instuments and percussion were stunning. Every sound came alive with new definition I had not heard before. This made me lust over wanting to check out the CDM 9NT's with the same highs, but with improved FST Midrange and the lows my 603's produce. B&W has created the best value of all of their speakers with the CDM NT series in my opinion. The CDM 1NT is the best value in a bookself size speaker on the market. Paired wth the CDM 9NT and the CDM CNT center channel speaker you have the best stereo & surround speaker bang for the buck on the planet.

Submitted by vino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
The CDM 1NT's are absolutly stunning!

First, they are not too bright as some might say. They reproduce clean, transparent and detailed sound. In my 28 m2 room the music is presented in a very wide and large sound frame. Every instrument is placed at a specific depth of field, making it really 3d! Bass is tight and for speaker of this size very good!

Lots of CD's sound great, but lesser recordings are immediatly recognized. My old Blue Note jazz LP's sound superb, with greater detail than I ever heard from them. Saxophones, trompets, etc... are amazing!

I've also auditioned the B&W 705 and the 805 and in my opion the CDM1NT is better than the 705 and not far behind from the 805.

Second hand this is a bargain!

Equipment used:

Rotel rb980bx
Marantz vintage amp used as pre-amp
Marantz CD67mkII