B&W CDM 7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.18/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1800.00

6.5" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter (1996-1997)

Submitted by H.Zuidema a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Bottom Line:

A very good loedsperaker. Set the speaker 50cm from the wall behind the speaker and the bass is perfect.

Submitted by Julian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hi
Just Selected any year model ad I wasn't sure.
Mine is the CDM7 ( not SE or NT).
I had these for a while and was planning to sell them as I never really could enjoy music for too long.
As some of the reviewers here also mentioned that it wad terrible.

Anyway , during my quest to replace them , I got more and more worried ad it seemed like I was going to have to spend 5 times more to improve on them , bearing in mind I bought them used and a bit cheap a few year earlier.

Anyway's my very trustworthy Hifi dealer set me done and reminded me about the basics wrt placement and room acoustics etc.

So off I went and started to seriously adress the positioning.
Wow man , I currently have them about 1 metre away from back walls(actually glass does with curtain). They gave a 80cm clearance to the nearest furniture piece and are 1.8 metres apart and pointing (toed in) to a central point 1.8 meter's as well. So basically I'm a triangle with all sided measured from the centre of the speaker face iin equal lengths of 1.8 metres.

Then I added the spikes and the disks used for tile floors as I have stone tiles + a pair of loose mats about 20 cm in front of them also pointing to the central point of the triangles front.
I then got a 2metre pair of banana terminated kimber PR8 cables and replaced the imterconnects from my pre to my poweeighth a used audioquest inter.

I sit about a metre away from triangles central point where the two speakers are pointed in to.

Man I turn my Mcintosh power amp to almost full power and my Linn pre to about 3 o'clock and play some vynil via my alphason sonata turntable an I tell you It id domething I can listen to over and over again.

Sure not the greatest soumd ever ... I've listene to many dear systems ,,,I.e. Recently an SME + mark levison + Psaudio + B&W 802 etc..,, and I tell you ,,,, I am not far off.....
Those multi thousand dollar systems are indeed much better , but I have achieved it (on a smaller scale) with same detail , clarity , staging , musicality etccc just on a smaller scale.

I am very happy indeed.

And then mine was all used items and this entire system for less then say in dollar terms 1000$'s.

What I Like most of this system is that it is not only for classic or pop or whatever.
It does well with Jazz, R&B, Disco and even modern rap.

Awesome

Submitted by tjerk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having used the CDM7 for three years i have to report that i made a big mistake then. These speakers suffer from major design flaws. I have tried to get them right for three years by tweaking, positioning, cables, amplification, everything. But what allways remained was flubby and boomy bass that was far from tight or controlled and a basic uneveness in the midband which lacked smoothness and coherence. Don't buy without seriously auditioning other speakers.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Stuut & Bruin

Submitted by Fabrizio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
It was not easy for me to choose loudspeakers. First I bought all the rest: a "Rega Planet" CD player, a "Dissanayake" tube preamplifier and a dualmono "NET MK100b" final amplifier. Some friends gave me the possibility of test their loudspeakers with my devices and the experience was amazing! Each model, starting from low cost untill (almost) the top gave great surprises, everyone gave its own interpretation of the same CD. Finally I choice the CDM 7 because they give me the impression to be a very very good compromise between price and performance. They describe with accuracy every detail of jazz band instruments, they renstitute the massive impression of the classic synfonic orchestras and, finally, they run fast upon the '60 and '70 rock band. For me (I'm not addicted only to few kind of music) these loudspeakers work greatly, and are able to fill without problem my 55 sqm living room. I like very much their HF and the strength of LF (tested also with Prodigi's "The fat of the land"!!!!!) Try to believe (and buy!!)

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by franciswong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just bought these speakers, used, from a dealership with a 6 month warranty for 400 quid. My first set of B&W speakers, and boy what a difference they make compared to my old Eltax standmounts. They sound great, amazing high frequency detail probably thanks for the Nautilus tweeter design, great mids. My only reservation is that whilst this speaker goes low down in the frequency range, some bass can sound a bit incoherent, perhaps this is just my small listening room, but comparing it to my car audio, it certainly hasn't got as much punch. Overall a great speaker, attractive design and well put together.

System: Nakamichi AV-10, now have the B&W CC6 centre, Gale Mini Monitor 2 rears, Panasonic RV-31 DVD source.

Purchased At:   Overture, Banbury, U