B&W 800D Floorstanding Speakers

5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $20000.00

As befits a speaker of this calibre, the 800D contains several unique refinements, most notably the ultimate in crossover capacitors using silver and gold metals.

Submitted by Canoa70 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
For me this is quite simple, it's the best speaker i've heard.
The sound is so natural from bottom to top.
My system:
Chord CPA-5000 reference
Chord SPM-14000 ultimate reference
Chord Symphonic phonostage
Aesthetix Rhea
Micro Seiki BL-91L (SME 3012RG/Ortofon SPU gold)
Rui Borges Turntables Tristar (SME V, SME 312, Graham Robin) (Benz Micro LP, Van den Hul Grasshopper, Dynavector 17D2 MKII) all van den hul cables
Accuphase DP90/DC91
B&W 800D and Dynaudio Confidence C4
Jocavi acoustic treatment

Submitted by Paulo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've owned a few speakers and still own some of them, none comes close to what the 800D can do. Great balance all over from deep deep bass to great highs.
Some might think that it has to much bass, but this i simply because most people aren't used to this much bass (always controled if you have the power for them)
My system is as follows:

Chord CPA-5000 reference
Chord SPM-14000 ultimate reference
Chord Symphonic phonostage
Aesthetix Rhea
Micro Seiki BL-91L (SME 3012RG/Ortofon SPU gold)
Accuphase DP90/DC91
VH audio flavour 4 power cords
Wireworld gold eclipse V all over (sources and speakers
B&W 800D and Dynaudio Confidence C4
Jocavi acoustic treatment

For me is simple it's the best speaker i've heard and should probably be the best speaker at any price.
I've had Dynaudio Evidence Temptation on the same room and the 800D are simply better on all areas.

Submitted by Jesse111 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
While I've found that many speakers have certain strenghths in one area or another. The 800D is the best all around speaker I've heard to date. Listening time is unlimited. Fatigueless. They thrive much better on quality high power of 500 watts or more. When placed properly in a room with at leas 2 feet from the back wall and plenty of room on the sides, the bass is the most accurate I've ever heard. Never thin or strained but abundant and musical.

The mids and highs are the best in the business to me. Detail with a musical sweetness that is second to none. I don't care for the unatural resolution that some speakers offer adding unrealistic performance detail. The 800D sounds real to me. Effortless and emotionally engaging. B&W has found a way to combine the highest quality detail without losing the musical emotion that I feel the artist wants us to hear and feel. Quite a feet if you ask me. After set up and the WOW factor wears off, analysis fades and the love of the music is delivered to you. Build quality is spectacular and driven with the quality gear that I have, I am still getting the goose bumps a 6 months later.

Purchased At:   Audiolab

Submitted by Cincy2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I replaced a pair of N801's with the Nautilus 800Ds. My first impression out of the box was that the build quality, already exceptional, was even better. The speaker binding posts are all metal and placed horizontally instead of vertically. The cabinet is a single piece molded to meet the front baffle. Leather surrounds the mid range cube.

After the usual 100 hours of break-in, I heard a more natural tone than the 801's possessed. This realism made my good recordings from Chesky, Mapleshade and Opus3 sound revelatory. The soundstage was wide and deep with a healthy sized sweet spot.

As for the new diamond tweeter, I was awestruck. It shows itself by the sense of ease in strings and brass when they reach a crescendo. No strain, no pain.

I haven't spiked them yet because I'm an incorrigable tweeker but the spikes provided are also very well designed. The spike can be reversed to a rubber foot if you are placing them on a hard surface that you don't want to gouge.

Taken as a whole, this speaker with my front end/amp combo (dCS Verdi La Scala, Elgar Plus and Verona Master clock, Halcro DM68 monoblocks) creates the best sound I have ever heard anywhere at any price. Spooky realism in vocals, melodius tone, seamless blending of all frequency ranges. I am totally satisfied and can't wait to see what B&W will do next.

Price Paid:    $19000.00

B&W Nautilus 800D Loudspeakers

Please add: Manufacturer: B&W Speakers Model: Nautilus 800D Category: FloorstandingLoudspeaker Web Site: [url]www.bwspeakers.com[/url] MSRP: $20,000 Thanks, Cincy2Read More »

I heard the B&W 800d's today

I learned that "D" stands for Diamond and the D series has some type of diamond tweeter. The 800d's were driven by a Classe' 200 wpc amp with an Audio Research preamp and CD player. Needless to say the system sounded good. It did have some short comings though. The midbass seemed to be conge ... Read More »

Full Review of the new B&W 800D

[font=Verdana]A much anticipated review of the B&W 800D is up and running at last here: [/font][url="http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0505/bowerswilkins800d.htm"][font=Verdana][color=#c0d9d9]http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superi...wilkins800d.htm[/color][/font][/url] [font=Verda ... Read More »