B&W 703 Floorstanding Speakers

4.41/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

3-way vented-box system, 2 x 6.5" paper/Kevlar cone bass drivers, 6" woven Kevlar cone FST midrange driver, 1" alloy dome tweeter, 38Hz-25kHz ±3dB, 8 Ohm impedance, 90dB sensitivity, 120lb/pair.

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
These speakers are amazing.

For a long time I was a die hard Definitive technology and Paradigm fan. Both companies make great speakers but have differing strengths. I found that Def Tech is great for movies with their bi-polar arrays. Inversely, Paradigm shines for two channel music. Def tech has a more laid back presentation particularly in the high end. I used to call this a "sweeter" sound but I was mistaking less detail as warmth. Paradigm has a more forward sound but for me lacked any three dimensionality. Could I find a speaker that satisfied both of my preferences? In come the B&W 703's! I had a set of Phase Tech BP20's hooked up when I received my 703's. I've had the Def Techs since they were new in 1998 so I am very familiar with their sonic signature. I did a direct A/B comparison using the same front end and all I can say is..."WOW" what a difference, night and day, when I switched to the 703's! Clarity, soundstage, imaging, dynamics everything just opened up like a sonic veil had been lifted. The midrange/nautilus tweeter combination is beyond description, the base effect is so tight, present and visceral. Some people call the tweeters harsh. I have found them to be anything but. Yes, on poorly recorded source material and on inferior components they will reveal the flaws. If you are listening to MP3's through a music server...well...get ready for your ears to hurt. But play high quality lossless music, super audio cd's or cd's on a high quality transport and you will be, yourself, transported. Now when I say "high quality" components let me put it in perspective. There are many people out there who go crazy and many times break the bank and buy ridiculously expensive amplifiers and preamps to drive B&W speakers like Classe and Krell. While it is great if you can afford it, down here in the real world amidst us mortals it's not always feasible. The good news is you just don't have to spend that much money to drive the 703's to perfection. My system consists of a Pioneer Elite VSX52 being used as a preamplifier, two (2) Marantz MM9000 5 channel, 150 watt THX certified amps which I am using to bi-amp my front stage (Two 703's and a B&W HTM2 for center duty), two Marantz MA6100's bi-amped at 360 watts powering my now passive B&W ASW750 subwoofer. My sources are a Denon DVD2910 SACD player and a Rotel RCC 945 cd player. Used I paid $200 for the Pioneer Elite, $400 each for the MM9000's, $220 for the 6100's, $40 for the Denon and $125 for the Rotel. That's $1385 paid used for equipment that retailed for $6000! How does it all sound??Well I've compared it to my buddies system consists of the B&W 802's, HTM1 center being driven by a Krell 2250 and a B&K multi-channel, a $20k system and I'll tell you what...his is "better"...but not by much!

Bottom line...if you can find a pair of 703's on the used market at a reasonable price you really can't go wrong. They are, in my opinion, B&W's best price to performance speaker offering "ever"...period.

Thanks

Submitted by Brad Overcash a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Bottom Line:
To begin with, I have owned these speakers for over 9 years. I can honestly say that I will never part with these beasts. Unless I hand them down to my eldest son after college but that's unlikely, call me selfish...

For reference, I originally powered these with a 200w x 2 Rotel amp (RB - 1080) and run through a McIntosh C41 pre. They sounded terrific in this set-up.

A couple of years ago I began to read about Emotiva prod and figured I would give them a run in my system. Wow! What a difference the Emo power made in the overall dynamics of the sound. The bass began to come alive and and the soundstage opened up like never before. The Rotel touted a damping factor of 1000, which was astounding, however the Emo just trounced the Rotel beyond belief.

You may be wondering why I am gushing over the Emo in a speaker opinion. My point is, these speakers need the right power and cables to really reveal its potential. BTW, I swapped my Monster Z3's for a set of Morrow Audio SP-4's. Once again, the soundstage and control of this new set-up was just incredible. I thought I knew how good these speakers were with the Rotel, Monster and Mac, I was shocked to hear how accurate these speakers were with the changes I had made.

I began the Emo change with the XPA-5 200x5, albeit in a two channel set-up, which was extremely powerful. Afterwards I bought two XPA-100's, 250w monoblocks. Even better than the 5 channel amp (obviously).

Back to the speakers. When given the right supporting hardware, these speakers can't be beat for their clarity, soundstage, accuracy and low-end without the need for a sub. I don't even own a sub anymore, now that I have the right power to drive these girls. Sure, there are better speakers out there, but at this price point (which is hard to find in the market today) they are king.

Another point I will make is the diversity of which these speakers sing, as in Jazz, Alternative, Classical, Rock, Acoustic, and any other style of music you may listen to. I have over 10,000 songs in my collection, covering all genres of music and all ripped at lossless. These speakers won't back down to anything! I have read over the years many reviews stating a bright high-end. Once again, the hardware and placement is critical to allow these speakers to fulfill there potential.

Lastly, I've auditioned many speakers at my local stereo shop including, Martin Logan, B&W CM series, PSB's and even own the Imagine B6 bookshelf speakers (great little speaker) but I always come back to my 703's and wonder to myself why I even look the other way. As I said, I will NEVER part with these. They are apart of the family now and forever.

Submitted by pjjflyer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
I am surprised to find bad reviews for these speakers. After many reviews of many brands and models at many audio stores, I feel these had the best sound especially for the money.

Rich bass, clear treble, and crisp highs. Some recordings have a "tinny" sound, but it is from the source, not the speakers. These do tend to be brighter than some speakers, but not annoyingly so. I find the imaging and transparency to be the best I have come across. I have nothing but praise for these speakers.

Quite impressive listening pleasure from classical, rock, pop, and sound tracks.
Equally impressive as a 7.1 HT set up.

HTM I is a nice fit for a center channel, no clashes.

Rotel RSP-1069 pre/pro
Rotel RCC-1055 CD
2 Rotel RMB-1077 - bi-amped
Sunfire Tru Subwoofer
B&W HTM I center
6 B&W 703 front, surround, rear

Submitted by ac81017 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
Do not operate these with cheapie electronics or in HT or will hear the shrill high end and you won't get any bass! The need a good pre amp, monster power amp pr two and good cables. I run mine on a pair of Vincent sp 991plus, sony tae-90es preamp, tara labs rsc gen 2 cables, sony xa5es cd player! -Fantastic sound! These speaker are not mean't for HT!

Submitted by EN a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Bottom Line:

OK, the last time I wrote a review here was about 5 years ago I think. THis is not my thing to hang out on the net writing reviews. But had to write this one.

This product confuses me. I cant understand how a speaker with such offensive high frequency can be sold for this much money.
OK, the highs sound more metalic and cranky than any speaker over $1K that I can remember in my 16 years of listening. The highs are also very compressed at high volumes.
There is a disconnect between the midrange and high frequency.
The bass is good for the driver size.........midrange is ok, but is hard to tell because the highs just ruin everything.
The speaker sounds mechanical, compressed and very cranky at times. Everything above 2khz is a disaster.
I hope the other B&W speakers do not sound like this one, because that would mean there are a lot of deaf people out there with a lot of money to spend on a brand?

Make sure you use your ears when you purchase a speaker and not be brain washed be advertising or dealer manipulation.

And no, its not my amp or CD player, they are as smooth as can be and ive tried a few different amps. Ive been doing this for too long to fall for a mismatch. Im using the resolution audio opus CD and Gamut D200 amp, both of the smoothest , finest products out there. If these speakers sound cranky on this equipment, id be afraid to hear them on something like Adcom or Rotel.......wow.

If I didnt say this yet............this is the worst sounding $3K or even $2K speaker ive come across in my 16 years of working with hi-fi systems.

EN

faced or unfaced 703's .... that is the question....

I'm starting to think about ordering a batch of Owens Corning 703 sound absorption boards. The current treatment that I've done to my listening room, is to put R-19 in the 6 inches above the cabinets that line the back of my listening room. I'm thinking that I'll next try putting in sound absorbi ... Read More »

Owens Corning 703

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I listed a 6 panel case of Owens Corning series 703 on ebay. The number is 170211659363. This was left over from my home theatre installation. I'll post pictures later. This stuff is perfect for making your own acoustic panels. Thanks!Read More »

B&w 703

I'm planning an entirely new system and recently listened to the B&W 703s. I listened to them via several integrated amps but the two amps I was considering for purchase (Music Hall A25.2 or Rotel RA-1062) weren't available for a demo. One amp is a 50 watt the other a 60 watt. I don't turn up the vo ... Read More »

B&W 703 Floorstanders

Any other B&W 703 owners out there? In my system they have been a huge disappointment. I find them to be very bright and edgy. The FST midrange seems to be too out front especially on vocals.I actually like the woofers and tweeter in the 703.The FST is one of B&W's claims to fame.I have mid priced R ... Read More »

New amp for B&W 703's

Find that my B&W 703's are a lil more bright and forward than I would like. Have them hooked up to a B&K Ref 200.2 via Audioquest CV6 and CV4's (Bi-wired) CV6's on base end. Using a Denon 3803 as my pre. Have a question about MFG's recommended power handling as well. B&W says "50W †... Read More »