B&W 684 Floorstanding Speakers

3.91/5 (11 Reviews)

The extended bass response and output capacity of the 2½-way 684 floorstander make it a great choice for hi-fi or home cinema in medium-sized to large rooms.

It features a new combination of a pair of Kevlar® cones for delivering its bass and midrange. The lower cone is dedicated to bass, which relieves the upper bass/midrange unit of the duty to handle heavy bass and leads to clearer, crisper midrange than you might find in smaller speakers. The Nautilus™ tube-loaded, aluminium dome tweeter, featuring a new surround material to improve spaciousness and imaging, adds needle-sharp top end all the way to 50kHz and beyond.

The improvements to the drive units in the new 600 Series make it possible, for the first time, to introduce a minimalist crossover to the range. The use of components that are fewer in number but higher in quality – hand-picked in exhaustive listening tests – reduces the degradation of the signal significantly. So, whether you’re enjoying hi-fi or home cinema, what you hear is that much closer to what was recorded.

Visually, a refreshed, contemporary design language and a widened choice of wood finishes allows the 684 to fit in effortlessly with any interior.

Submitted by Ole Nielsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought my B & W 684 in 2008, after having had a set of Dali 7A for 17 years. B & W 684 requires long play intro time. Approximately 1000 hours! Initially, I used an amplifier from Thule PA100 / PR100 but swapped it out with a Lyngdorf. This made the speakers were much better and more distinct in the treble and midrange. Also I thought that was missing deep bass from 40Hz and down, so I bought a B & W subwoofer and stuffed foam plugs into basreflexportene front and rear.
Product Manager Scandinavia Mr. Ole Vidar A. has said that Bowers & Wilkins has spent far more money on the crossover at 684 than at 683!
I am very happy with my set of B & W 684, they require a powerful amplifier, responsive to improvements in quality and need a subwoofer at 40Hz-20Hz.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Andrew a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have bought these 684 speakers after listening to the 684 and the 683. The 684 has a more detailed midrange and the bass does not obstruct the midrange like the 683.
I have these babies bi wired with a powerful amp, the pioneer elite ax5ais and the result is exceptional. These babies require power. At first, I had the foam plugs in the front holes, but after removing these,the speakers bass was more powerful and beautiful. I listen to different genres of music, especially were a lot of vocals are involved and it seems that the singer is just right in front of you. Just to try these beauties, check the album from Eros Ramazzotti - dove ce musica.........You will be amazed by the quality of the babies......Dont listen to the guys that give bad reviews and tell you that the 683s are better. The recipe for good music is a powerful and good amp, high end wires and the B&W 684s.....

Sometimes I use these speakers for movies as fronts. They deliver in this area too

Submitted by Nativebon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Ok i Got the B&W's 684 speakers replacing my tannoy R2 spaekers And immediatately i could tell these speakers were bright. Theses speakers were not going as low as the Tannoy R2s in home cinema setting.
Really disappionted with theses speakers & doin away with them.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Bottom Line:
The 684's are a great speaker. They have incredible attention to detail and no matter what voume i play them at, they perform with exceptional qulaity. If you want real bass ........ bring in a sub woofer. I'm big fan of the B&W systems although maybe easily pleased having upgraded from Bose!

That being said everyones taste is different and you cant beat the experience of auditioning to find what it is you are looking for.

Submitted by meir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
weak bass, crapy mids.the b&w 684 deliver poor bass and weak midrange. too bright.
my rotel ra-1070 dont like the b&w 684.
now with my new b&w 683 all the sound much much greater.

Nice Review Of the B&W 684's

If anyone is interested, here's a current review of the B&W 684's. [url]http://www.avguide.com/review/hi-fi-plus-bowers-wilkins-684-floorstanding-loudspeaker[/url] Best Regards, StanRead More »

focal 726v vs b&w 684

Hello Guys, I am moving to my new apartment and I am planning to upgrade my orb speakers to either focal or b&w. I wanna use them to watch blurays and listen to mainstream music most of them are, R&B, Mariah Carey, House, Trance, Electro, Hip Hop, etc. Obviously, focal's bass is louder ( which I ... Read More »

will my old marantz sr18 hard to push the b&w 684's?

my dad just gave me his old ATI four channel amp. Will this solve the problem? I heard the b&w speakers are harder to push at the same volume. ( will this increase my basee performance once I hook it up with the amp? )Read More »