B&W 683 Floorstanding Speakers

3.73/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Technical features Nautilus™ tube loaded aluminium dome tweeter Kevlar® brand fibre cone FST™ midrange Aluminium/paper/Kevlar® cone bass driver Flowport™

Description 3-way vented-box system

Drive units 1x ø25mm (1 in) aluminium dome high-frequency 1x ø150mm (6 in) woven Kevlar® cone FST™ midrange 2x ø165mm (6.5 in) Aluminium/paper/Kevlar® cone bass

• Frequency range -6dB at 30Hz and 50kHz
  • Frequency response 38Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by warren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2017

Bottom Line:
    These would have to be the worst speakers I have ever owned. The distortion and interference in the mid to upper ranges leaves listening to them an ordeal. I couldn't sell them.I would be too embarrassed. Very disappointed. Tried them on various amps but all I get is noise. The base is exceptionally detailed. I warn people not to buy them, they are rubbish.

Submitted by Michael F a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Bottom Line:
    What a disappointment. My first impression of these was "are the tweeters working"? Dull, lifeless and muddy best describe these. The speakers were well run in, driven by Arcam and Moon electronics in a well behaved room FYI. The look, feel and performance is your typical Chinese cheap.They never should have moved operations to China. It used to be the 600 series offered exceptional value as was the case with the previous, UK manufactured speakers, but no more.

Submitted by joe a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
    running a musical fidelity p270-2 class a amp, pioneer a9 as a pre amp, project tube box 2 preamp with vintage mullard valves and of course the b & w 683s ,bi wired. great sounding system through vinyl, really captures the full sound of a band and leaves you wondering how things could be any better than this.these speakers need a load of power to work properly and a large room. they sound too full on in small rooms . highly recommend these speakers to anyone considering them as long as they have a big amp and big room, and turned up loud they sound awesome!. but hey im no expert on this subjects ,just my opinion , try to get through large chain electronic stores like harvey norman because they sometimes do crazy good deals, i got mine half price , still in the original box

Submitted by J a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
    Biwired 683's into Rotel RC-1580 pre and RB-1582 amp. The synergy between the B and W 's and Rotel pieces go together nice. Use to own Kef tower speakers and found the B and W to be a much smoother sounding speaker compairing the 2 with the Rotel components. Room placement is so important for the sound presentation with the 683...the supplied foam port plugs play a vital role in overall bass tightness so you must experiment with these or you really miss out. What surprised me was how much better the 683's sound with the front cloth covers removed. Once removed the sound dispersion really opens up and becomes more airey and detailed. Have listed to many different styles of music from Bach to Coltrane to Hendrix to Metal and they do Classical the best I would say... not to say they don't all genres very good. I'm very pleased with my B and W's for the price range ($1400) they were at. They are a very refined speaker for this price range. For more money I would have bought the Salk Songtowers which are incredible with the right setup. Also the PSB's are just as good if not better than the 683's,I just happened to hear them recently with Rotel components and was impressed, I probably would have bought them instead. It's too bad more stores in my area don't carry more brands of home speakers. Back in the day the stereo stores had way more diversity with speakers you could listen to....sign of the times.

Submitted by gary bailey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
    This is my second review of these beautiful speakers( sound & visual). Since I've owned them I've moved into a house that has a listening room just right for these speakers. 12' X 25' room that just lets them breathe. Currently I have Rotel seperates for surround, but I have bi-amped the speakers and WOW! I know what people mean by certain speakers need power. So when the time comes to upgrade, I'm going for a hi-end Intergrated amp, something like a Krell S-300i, Nad M3, or Luxman -l-505u but I would like some info on any of these amps if anyone has spent time with them. And which would match up with the B&W's the best. I'd hate to drag my speakers all over town to audition every amp. Summery, need space and power I think to get the best out of these speakers. I hope this helps.