B&W WP-1
Description: outdoor speakers

Submitted by Glen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
What a amazing little speaker! The sound from these speakers were so impressive I bought two pairs. I use one pair in my kitchen and the other in my lounge room. Whenever I'm entertaining I can easily move the WP-1's from the kitchen to the verandah. Many guests have commented on their superb sound quality.

The WP-1's sounded considerably better than the B&W601s2 speakers when I compared them in-store. I must say though, this could have had a lot to do with how poorly the 601s2 speakers were positioned for demonstration. I also compared WP-1's with my B&W602s2 speakers, which I use in my hometheatre system. Although they didn't extend as deep as the 602s2 they were pleasing taut and articulate in the upper bass frequencies. Very much like the 602s2, the WP-1's mid band and upper frequencies reproduced naturally and detailed without sounding grainy or harsh. If you position the WP-1's on the side walls, a good distance away from the front wall, the soundstage becomes extremely open and deep. Quite amazing for such a small speaker that is designed for outdoor use.

Using a sub with the WP-1's worked a treat, particularly after careful setting of the sub's cross over control. However, you may find no need for a sub if you position these speakers properly and follow some basic rules of room acoustics.

If you want high fidelity (at a reasonable cost) in your kitchen, bedroom, verandah, or in any area where living space is tight, then you must give these speakers a listen. Many of my friends and family who have heard these speakers have bought a pair as well.

Purchased At:   Maneklal & Sons

Submitted by Russ a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
Simply put, these are the best outdoor speakers. First, they are supposed to be completely weatherproof - I do not plan on testing their freezing ability, but from March to July they don't appear to have been touched by almost daily direct sun, occasional rain, and no insect or bird damage has occured.
Second, the sound is incredible. Mounted horizontally and angled downward, the bass actually vibrates the wall at neighbor-irritating sound levels (loud ). The soundstage is quite impressive at approx 10ft separation.
I would strongly reccommend these speakers to anyone looking for outdoor application!

Submitted by Richard a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have the WP-1's position on the out edge of my deck facing toward the house, a challenge for bass reproduction to be sure. There is no reinforcment of bass freqs, yet these baby's put out solid bottom end with no boom. Nice. These are by far the best outdoor speakers I have heard. Midrange is terrific, especially on female vocals. Highly recommended!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Claud a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have been using WP-1s for surrounds for almost 2 months. They are great with my B&W 603 and CC6 system . I have not heard them other than as a surround. Glad to see other review on them as outdoor speakers. If you have surround placement problems and have B&W, here's your solution.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Damon a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
They are b&w's best since the 600i. They can play loud without distortion. I audition them with Def Leppard's rocky Hysteria and the resolution is quite high at higher playing level. Bass is solid and deep for a small cabinet. Soundstage is a killer.