Axiom Speaker Company Millennia M80 Ti Floorstanding Speakers

4.79/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $1440.00

Dual woofers, dual midranges and twin tweeters - hear it all! From the tight snap of a bass drum to the shimmer of brushed cymbals, the accuracy of this speaker will astound you. The M80 transforms musical recordings into live performances in your living room, and brings definitive realism to home theater.

Submitted by mohan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had the Axiom M80V2's for a couple of years now & every time I play an excellently recorded CD I never cease to be amazed at the sheer clarity & nuetrality of the sound, without any particular instrutment, dominating.
However, bad cd recordings are ruthlessly revealed. Garbage in, garbage out!
For any new owner of these speakers, it is imperative that the Axioms have to be broken in, as it were, for an appropriate number of hours. Ideally linked up to a source that can play all day, for several days, at a set volume.
The very few negative or lukewarm user reviews I have read, so far, I fear, is possibly due to the listener, expecting first class performance right out of the box! That will not happen. These speakers must have a substantial amount of playing time,especially to get rid of the treble harshness prevalent, as you begin to use the speakers.
I use a Cambridge 650 CD player via a Morrison pre-amp and powered by two M2200 Outlaw Monoblock Amplifiers. Needless to say the quality of sound is astounding.
All of my audiophile & audio-enthusiast friends are drawn time & time again to my humble home to listen to the sweet sound of my system.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I gave these a try for about 3 weeks. They do sound decent for the money, the bass is great. If you like loud thou, these seem to distort on the top end. That is my only complaint.

I bought Klipsch RF7.. dramatic difference at both low and high volume. At high volume the Klipsch just ask for more

Submitted by mrondeau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
First of all I am in no way an Audiophile. I love my stereo system, I currently own (2) Acurus A250 amps with upgraded power supplies – I like my music loud, a Marantz preamp, Outlaw ICBM bass management, MHZS 33 cd player with upgraded output tubes, and Cerwinvega DX9’s.

This is not your typical review with all of the technical words describing their sound as I would be fake in attempting to use them. So here goes, I listen to my system almost every day and the family does not care to listen with me, and typically asks me to turn it down. I purchased the M80’s based off of all the great reviews. After replacing the Cerwinvegas (these speakers do have their place 101db sensitivity 400watt 15” woofers)
I realized what I have been missing out of music my entire life. The M80’s are magical! Every time I turn on the system my 1yr old comes into the room and starts dancing with a big grin on his face. (He never did this before) My wife loves them, the family now has impromptu dance nights 2 to 3 times a week, I never would have believed that a set of speakers could make this much difference in my families reactions. I never have to be asked to turn down the music any more. My wife actually gets chills when we listen to good cds - I think that’s funny. When listening to my cds it is as if I am hearing them for the first time, my wife and I will look at each other and say “I did not realize that this was That song” these speakers bring out sounds that I have never heard before. When they talk about speakers being fatiguing I guess the vegsa’s were, these speakers make you want to fall asleep no matter what the volume – I now use them to help put the kids to sleep. When they talk about speakers having Depth I assume that it is the three dimensional sound that I hear from the M80’s – every other system I have ever herd was two dimensional with very little stereo separation. The M80’s sound like surround sound – like actually being there. I am actually addicted to the sounds that I know hear – I never knew a stereo system could sound this good – I am in love with these speakers. The WAF is great! Some people claim the Highs are harsh, they are at first and then tame down after about 40hrs use, just turn them on and go to work. Bass – Well nothing beats a set of 15” vega’s with that said, I am in no way missing any bass, these do a great job of producing fast, solid, punchy bass. These speakers will play very load, and will take all that the modified Acurus A250 will pump out (measured 20-20K 385 watts continuous 4ohm) As you can tell I have never written a review before, but I feel so strongly about how these speakers have transformed my listening experience, my family time, and best of all – The time with my wife, they have truly helped our relationship, with three children we never get a chance to go out, now we sit on the couch and listen to music – can a set of speakers actually improve a marriage – YES these have.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by gcouture a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I finally received my new Axiom M80 v2 speakers after a long wait (I lost my job following my employer's bankruptcy, and had to postpone any major upgrades to my system) The good news is that Axiom speakers are now available in a wide variety of natural wood veneers. The 4-choices-only vinyl finishes which were one of the major criticisms I heard no longer applies. One needs to pay a premium though, but overall, they remain quite a bargain in my opinion.

I heard and read many horror stories about the boxes being damaged by DHL or UPS, so I was a little nervous when Purolator finally devered not 2 but 3 boxes to my doorstep. They were all in perfect shape, nobody seemed to have performed drop-tests with them, nor were they used for target practice. Unpacking was easy, instructions are clearly printed on the box so you have no excuses. The speakers are wrapped in a reusable fabric bag which is a nice touch. The third box contains the spikes, rubber feet and a cleaning cloth. There also was a leatherette folder containing the owner's manual and product brochure. Now that's class!

The Cherry finish is very nice, maybe not to the same standards as some high-end British speakers, but considering the price paid, I was more than satisfied. I could appreciate an effect of moiré when the sun fell on the wooden surface. The peakers looks stunning with their array of 2 woofers, 2 mids and 2 tweeters.

Since I was already using a bi-wire setup, I immediately removed the generic sheet-metal jumpers from the double binding posts and hooked my ZU Wax speaker cables. Compared to my ageing Linn Indexes, I could immediately hear a tremendous improvement, especially in the dynamics and bass extension. Treble was a bit harsh and unnatural. After a little over 50 hours of burn-in, they really started to shine. Gone was all the harshness, and the spacial image kept improving day after day. After 200 hours, I disbeleiving myself could hear bass from the fm tuner as I never hear from CD.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase, the magnitude of improvement they brought to my systems easily compares to what speakers worth 2-3 times the price would have achieved. (I tried ProAc Studio 130, Spendors S6e, Linn Ninka).

Associated equipment:
- Arcam DiVA A85
- Rotel RCD975 used as transport
- Benchmark Media DAC-1
- Revox B160 FM tuner
- RSA Midnight Silver Edition interconnects
- SilverFi Phrigian interconnects
- Zu-Cable Wax speaker cables (bi-wire)
- Actinote and BPT power cables

Submitted by PeterChenoweth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is in regards to the M80V2 model.

I've had Axiom's M22 bookshelves and their VP150 center for almost 3 years and have been quite happy with them. While the M22's are awesome for bookshelves, they lack the clean and bold sound and presence of full-range floor standing speakers. I finally decided that it was time to upgrade to larger speakers. I didn't want to be an Axiom fanboy, so I began researching other speakers. My wife and I spent many months and traveled hundreds of miles to listen to various other speakers, including Vienna Acoustics, B&W, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Energy, JBL, and Klipsch.

Not being able to demo the M80's before purchasing them made it somewhat difficult to decide, but in the end since I already owned the center and soon-to-be rear surround M22's, I thought I'd go ahead and order the M80's to see what they would do.

I was not dissapointed.

There's not much I can say about the M80's that hasn't already been said. They are amazingly clear, precise, and controlled. The only speakers we listened to that gave us the same 'wow' factor would be either the B&W 703's, which cost about 3 times as much, or the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands which are about twice as much. Both of those have a similarly controlled, refined, and crystal clear sound as the M80's. Other speakers that we listened to in the $1,000-$1,500 range all seeemed to have faults; too bassy, or too much midrange, or piercing highs, or just overall 'blah-ness' to the sound.

If you've tasted the sweet nectar of Axiom speakers before, you might as well go all out and buy the M80's. They're simply charming speakers.

Purchased At:   Axiom.com