Avance Technologies Epsilon 980 Floorstanding Speakers

3 Way Ported Floor Standing

Submitted by Big Belly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Avance 670 floorstanding are coherent,smooth and have ample bottom end. Not flabby but tight!! They replaced Angstrom Sig 3 monitors and are just as transparent with a GREAT sound stage. Using them with the 630 monitors as rears in a surround setting along with the 660 center channel. WOW what a coherent sound. Just the right timbre match. Whether home theater or two channel music listening, non fatiguing natural sound. Awesome build and furniture quality finish!! The 670's by themselves are a pleasure, but in a home theater setting with the 630's and 660 center just kick it up a notch. Multichannel SACD never sounded so good...

Purchased At:   Harvest Moon Audio

Submitted by David a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I researched speakers for over 6 months. I kept coming back to these because I heard them in a run down place that was going out of business. The room they were in was terrible and when I heard them I knew I would eventually buy them. Every other dealer I went to had a perfect room and of course their speakers sounded good. But unless I was willing to spend over 10k, I wasnt going to get better sound than these.

I smile everytime I put on a cd. If your into vocals, there is nothing better in this class. Unfortuantely they are very hard to find. They stoped selling them in the USA.

If you are considering buying these, look no further. Buy them. You will thank yourself and your bank account.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Overture

Submitted by stefan andersson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
The best!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bestsound

Submitted by Peo Emgård a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are the most natural speaking speakers I've heard. In the price range - especially in Scandinavia there isn't anything near this if you’re looking for non-colored sound.

Compared to the Infinity Kappa 100, which are twice the price here, the tweeters are the only things in the speaker where I'd rather have the Infinity speaker, except for possibly the finish. These speakers are clearly made from the point of view that inside counts more than the outside. That said, they don’t feel cheap in any way, but I like the Kappa finish better.

The tweeters are, being soft dome tweeters, much less distinct than the Kappa tweeter. I can’t say whether that’s good or bad — it’s just a matter of taste. If you’ve got an extremely warm sounding system except for the tweeter there’s no problem, but if your system is more normal, sometimes the metal based tweeters just sound to harsh.

In my system paired with mainly Rotel and Denon equipment I found the Avance speakers perfect. The lower side is quick and quite low, and I haven’t really felt it necessary to buy a subwoofer just yet.

As I wrote in the 910AV review I feel that the only reason for not buying these is that they're hard to find. Also that information about them (such as a home page) is even harder to find and that there are very few magazines out there that tested them.If you don't trust your own ears you'll probably end up buying a well-known brand instead, paying the double, getting half the quality.

Submitted by Phill Mosher a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
To make any high quality product you must start with good parts. The 980 boasts some of the best drivers available using the Scanspeak Kevlars and Soft Dome tweeter. These speakers are so musical in every way with excellent detail and full range extension. You can tell by listening that they are very low in distortion and are refined with excellent dynamics. The build quality is meticulous, the only complaint I have are the overly large binding posts, you must use larger spades or bananas. All in all it puts to shame many speakers that sell for more $$, This is a product that actually makes you feel like you got more than you should for the money.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile