Avalon Acoustics Eidolon Floorstanding Speakers

4.9/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $20495.00

Submitted by Xam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
When partner with Convergent Ultimate and Jadis JA-500, with high quality transport and D/A, the sonic performance is simply breathtaking. These loudspeakers give you full of details, yet very musical.
No flaws from top to bottom. Great coherence; silky smooth presentation. I think these gems certainly need lot of power to make them sing. The midrange is very sweet, with very well defined, transparent bottom. One of the most neutral sounding floorstander which can throw a huge soundstage.

Simply state-of-the art! I love it!

Submitted by Doug a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are absolutely the best I have heard (when partnered with the right gear). The wrap around effect of the soundstage is amazing. Imaging is also the best I have heard. The bass response was a very pleasant surprise. No need for a sub with these babies, which admittedly surprised me, considering most "audiophile" speakers IMO lack deep bass, or deep midbass. One thing I have learned over the years is that a system is not as important as the sum of its parts. Component compatibility is important in all high end systems, but with the Eidolon it is an absolute necessity. Any weakness in the audio chain with the Eidolon will be an extremely painful experience. Expect an additional investment in the high five figures if you want to experience audio nirvana with these, but if you can afford the Eidolons, that probably goes without saying. I'll reluctantly give it 5 stars for value. I have a hard time giving any component this expensive 5 stars for value, but will considering that it shames it's competition.

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I don't know if another review of this product is really necessary, in light of all the glowing reviews below. But I just have to tell you that, for me, this amazing speaker has changed everything about the way I listen to music and the way I perceive this hobby. I didn't really think, after 20 years of trying, that this sort of reproduction was possible in the home. I mean, these things don't just play music, they create musical joy, the likes of which I've only experienced before at live events. I power them with Spectral DMA 360's and, as a ten year tube nut, I can't believe the warm and enveloping midrange, the simple realism, I'm hearing from transistors. Let me just say it again, these speakers make reproduced music sound real! Its just that simple. In an industry so full of hype and nonsense, I have to say that, in my experience, the Eidolons stand above the crowd in doing exactly what they say they will do. And even at their high price, that makes these wonderful speakers a terrific value.

Submitted by Phil Barton a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had the fortunate opportunity of getting to listen to these marvelous speakers for about a month now at my local dealer. Heard them with a Levinson 336, Wadia 270/27ix and Cardas Golden Cross. The sound was simply breathtaking. Never have I heard such continuity in a soundstage - it really makes you think the artists are not only with you in the room, but you are transported to the studio or concert hall or small club the artist recorded the performance in. Imaging and 'air' were top notch - the best I have ever heard. Very accuate with harmonics and timbral qualities. At around $24,000 with a premium finish (even the standard finishes are out of the world as is the build quality)this loudspeaker is a bargain and will out perform any speaker in its class or above it in my opinion.

Submitted by Jean Heijneman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an incredible good loudspeaker listen to, But the price in Europe? Don't buy it. there are products that give you olmost the same result for more than half the price!!!