Audio Physic Spark Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

Low distortion drivers Direct coupled, dual voice coil bass driver Three chamber computer routed cabinet 7 degree slanted baffle results in time correct radiation pattern Suggested room size: 150-315 sqr. ft.

Submitted by luckiestmanalive a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had my Spark IIs (exactly the model pictured above) for over a year and enjoy them immensely. They are paired with a Plinius 2100i integrated amplifier and a Rega Apollo CD player (amongst other sources).

I have found the Sparks to be incredibly responsive to room placement. They have single-handedly opened my ears to the importance of the room in the pursuit of audial nirvana, so ignore AP's advice at your peril!

I am lucky enough to have a listening room that is the perfect size for them and for lengthwise listening (3.3m x 5m) and spent several sessions experimenting with placement. I finally settled on locations that provide me most enjoyment, even though my wife complains that the speakers get in the way by being positioned so far into the room.

Sitting in my listening position against the wall opposite, the Sparks just get out of the way of the music. Instruments and voices sound like they should and are precisely placed on a wide and deep soundstage. Mids and highs sparkle without being bright and tiresome, and the bass is impressive for the size of the single mid/bass driver. Again, the bass can be reinforced or reduced by their proximity to the rear wall.

I am stoked with this model and I'm an enthusiastic fan of the firm. They're truly dedicated to their motto and to the listening experience of their customers.

Submitted by skipper320 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the new sparks. These speakers are a steal. Their imaging and soundstage is second to none. Sweet, extended highs and unrivalled midrange. They are relatively small for a floorstander, but the sound is just amazing: natural and silky smooth. I run mine with tubes and the sound is so real it's scary. They could use a little more bass extension but the sweet midrange makes me not miss that last bit of bass. Certainly sound better when farther away from the back wall (4-5'). Overall, an excellent choice for vocals, classical and jazz. They suffer just a little strain when driven hard with rock music at higher volumes, but this doesn't occur until very high volume levels. I tried them with solid state amplification and they definitely sound better with tubes.
If you can find them for a good price used, you can't do any better for the money.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by EricO a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I think for the price, this speaker is probably the best kept secret in the Audio Physic line. Althoug many people mentioned the drawback of the low bass extension, it's simply because people tend to compare it with it's sounstage, transparency and accuracy, which never be found in this price range speakers.
I've been through many speakers, and the Sparks can always give me new feelings of the music. It's superb for its own right, I just don't feel the urge to buy the Virgo when I purchased them. I also audioned the newer Sparks III, they look better, just not the same delicate and artiuculate. Maybe Audio Physic just put in more soul on earlier models?
Pricewise, the speakers costs the least in my system, but it's just difficult for me to find an absolute winner to replace them.

matching equips:
Conrad Johnson Premiers
Naim CD+cap, Linn LP12
Nordost, Kimber, Cardas cables.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by John Bitsakis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an excelent speaker that suits small to moderate rooms and with the addition of a subwoofer, even a large living room more than 400-500 sqare feet. The sub is almost mandatory for those who need extended bass performance,although the mid-bass driver, aided by the bass reflex mechanism , provides a reasonable and tunefull bass, enough for many mid-sized rooms and listeners.

Purchased At:   Orpheus Audio Athens

Submitted by aelord a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very good imaging and treble clarity.

I cannot find any sensitivity data though - will they be driven ok by 18 watt audionote valve monoblocs I ve just ordered?

Purchased At:   Walrus systems

Spark and smoke in my receiver - please help

Tonight at 7pm, for the first time all day, I turned on our Marantz Receiver. As it was turned on, there was a "spark" sound, a flash of light, and subtle smoke in a very specific area on the top of the receiver. If you are looking down at the top of the receiver, it is in the upper right quadrant ... Read More »