AUDES Blues Floorstanding Speakers

4.77/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

3-WAY, BASS REFLEX SYSTEM

Submitted by stewartG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
I went to the store in NJ and listened to BLUES. I read the review from "SOLID63" and wanted to find out what is going on. How can a speaker have a variable behavior. Sometimes high on bass, sometime low, sometimes no bass... It reminds me of human behavior... Speakers are not active and therefore they depend on the equipment that they are driven by. If the amp is questionable, preamp or source... than we could be having an issue of unpredictability.
BTW, AUDES BLUES now is almost $5K. The MSRP on AUDIOREVIEW is wrong.
The speaker is wonderful, dynamic, neutral. In my opinion that is the key. The electronics have a lot to do with what to expect from a speaker. When you listen you need to make sure that all elements in the setup are adequately selected and chosen. I own a number of high end speakers, amps (tube and solid state) + I have been listening for over 20 years.
I have seen a lot of product and AUDES BLUES deserves recognition as a wonderful product. I guess this is why we have vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Everyone has its preferences!

Submitted by solid63 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
I'm not an owner of these speakers but i've read so many nice reviews that i decided to give them a listen, and i did with great expectations.
I've listened to these speakers two times with diferrent ancillaries, just to be sure of what i was listening to.
I have to disagree with the other folks here but i was unimpressed with the blues.
Good soundstage, yes. Nice mids, yes. Good dynamic yes. That's all about the plus. Now the minus. First of all the bass, not only incoherent but impredictable. Sometimes is tight and punchy, sometimes boomy and heavy, sometimes completely missing. The highs, on the other side, became bright when you turn it up. But when you listen to low levels the bass is completely gone.
In the end these speakers are missing the soul, they are completely uninvolving.
For the money, remaining with the same configuration, the Swans M6002 are way better, with sweet highs and punchy bass. And beautifully build.

Strengths:
Nice soundstage and mids, good dynamic

Weaknesses:
Bass incoherent and impredictable, bright when pushed a little, aseptic and uninvolving.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Gabe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have lived with these AUDES Blues speakers now for about six weeks of almost daily listening. If anything, my initial enthusiasm for them has increased as I get to know them better. First, they are beautiful to look at. The ones I purchased are all black. In retrospect, I would have preferred them with one of the available natural wood finishes. The build quality is extremely high. For the asking price, I would rate them as extraordinarily good value. This probably reflects the lower labor costs in Estonia and the market realities of being a relatively unknown company. The consumer definitely benefits from this!

The speakers are a three-way design with a 1" soft cone tweeter, two 4.5" midrange cones, and an 8" side-firing woofer. The speakers are rear-ported. I think the tweeters are an AUDES original design. I have not looked at the woofers. The Blues are relatively efficient (90 dB), but with a 4 Ohm nominal impedance, you better have something juicy to drive them with, especially if you like to listen loud. I have been using a NAD S100 preamp and S200 amp. Plenty of clean power there! Also highly recommended.

To my taste these Blues sound wonderful. They are very open and transparent. I would describe their sound as 'accurate' and 'immediate.' They throw a huge soundstage with good source material. The imaging is also very good, which speaks for their phase coherence. And yet, the speakers have a slightly warm or 'musical' sound. They seem to pull this off without giving up any accuracy. Play the first cut of Sonny Rollins 'Way Out West' on SACD. Turn it up. Man, you are THERE with these Blues! You hear every nuance of that sax. But the sound is not so analytical to be exhausting. I can play music at high levels for hours on end without complaints from my wife, providing I play stuff she likes. The sound is so natural that the speakers tend to disappear.

The impulse response of these Blues is excellent. You really feel the attacks of percussion. The sound is very well integrated from high to low end. AUDES obviously knows something about crossover networks. The bass is surprisingly tight, although the speakers only go down to 45 Hz. They are wonderful for reproducing female voice, strings, and piano. But they also kick-ass with rock and roll.

I read a review of another speaker with a side-firing woofer where reviewer felt they sounded better with the woofers firing outward instead of inward. I tried it like this with the Blues. The bass became smeary and less defined. Also, the imaging was much less distinct. In my listening room, the Blues sounded much better with the woofers firing inward.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by epiphany a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
One of the best values in audio today. Not romantic, but more of the neutral variety. Sounds is more akin to speakers costing much more. Not as sweet as the Proac 2.5, but better in some respects. More refined in every way than the similarly priced Soliloquy 5.3.

Very good timbral accuracy. Bass is tight and articulate.

Imaging is more than acceptable. Good soundstage. Good depth.

Immensely listenable. Never found them fatiguing.

Look at the drivers. The Blues are essentially a mini-monitor with a side firing sub. It's a fast speaker. Reminds me in some ways of planars.

Build quality is top notch.

Easy to drive and easy to match with outher components. Works well even with mid-fi receivers. Easy to place. Had them in both big and small rooms with success.

Not much competition when compared in terms of overall performance.

A best buy, recommended without reservations.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by quadriverfalls a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had become pretty disenchanted in my search for new speakers. Most everything I listened to in my price range was either on the lean and very bright side or came finished in the increasingly popular VINYL wrap. I had pretty much given up on finding anything affordable that would give me a nice balanced sound with anything other than an average at best build quality.

Until, that is, I auditioned the the AUDES Blues. All I can say about their appearance is....WOW! They are simply drop dead gorgeous! In NO WAY do the web site pictures depict their true beauty. Their cabinet craftsmen obviously take pride in their work. From fit to the beautiful Cherry stained Mahogany finish on the side panels and bases, not a flaw could be found anywhere.

Their sound?.....To start with, they throw a HUGE sound stage. The high end is beautifully detailed without being harsh or bright in any way. Full rich mid range without being overly "warm." Again, detailed and just plain accurate are what come to mind. Bass, while not extremely deep, is full and rich when called for but equally fast with plenty of punch when needed. No boom or bloated mush here at all. Overall a very detailed "musical" speaker that is equally at home with a four piece chamber ensemble, a jazz pianist or Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

I originally had them hooked up to a DENON AVR-3802 receiver and they sounded great. When I had final rack, RPTV and speaker placement finalized, I hooked them up to the much more robust ADCOM GFA-5503 (350 wpc @ 4 ohms) amp. They opened up even more beautifully. Now, they don't even break a sweat playing complex material, be it music or movie sound tracks, at reference levels.

If you looking for a speaker that does double duty playing Mozart violin concertos and Saving Private Ryan, all in the same room, do yourself a favor and give these BLUES a listen. You most certainly won't be dissapointed.

Purchased At:   Jeff's Sound Values

Moody Blues

Yeah, I know there're fans in here, just wanted to let you know they're on the cover of the latest Prog mag. [url=http://www.progrockmag.com/news/new-issue-of-prog-on-sale-today-2/]New Issue Of Prog On Sale Today! | Uncategorized | Prog Magazine[/url] [I]Prog legends The Moody Blues grace the cove ... Read More »

Backlash Blues and Rainbow Flags

Life sometimes is two steps forward and one step back. When minorities work toward achieving equal rights there can be some backlash. Much it is for gays as they work for equal rights to marry. We now have more ministers preaching against gay marriage and that is their opinion. What is upsetting is ... Read More »

Moody Blues

The current Moody Blues lineup will tour through here in March. Anyone out there seen them lately ? Pros and cons ?Read More »

gettin' the blues

There's an sizable blues dump on [URL="http://forthedishwasher.blogspot.com/"]this site[/URL] under a theme heading of "3 Days of the Dalton". Many are multi-volume Library of Congress recordings and complete works (Jelly Roll, Prison recordings, Leroy Carr, Bessie Smith, Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie). ... Read More »