Athena Technologies Audition AS-B2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $229.95

Submitted by shoes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
paid 120 used for too sets and was going to sell them but before i did i changed my ht fronts from my paradigm titans and they sound just as good they sound better than my il30s infintys mirage three in home th i have over 16 sets of speakers wright now im going to get the camera
im a mess .no really

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by sgnewman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money. Tight, solid bass to about 60hz, transparent and sweet mids and highs. Same tweeter and same construction woofer as the top of line ASF2's.

They really respond to being used with a high quality amp. I use mine in a stereo system with an older Crown DC300A power amplifier with super high damping factor. I use a separate subwoofer but it's set for only 50hz and below. 99% of my sound comes from the Athena speakers. When I added the Crown amp, the sound quality from the Athena's became incredible. That's when I realized just how good these speakers are. By the way, I hadn't intended to use the Athena speakers in my stereo system...they were intended for a separate surround sound system...but they sound too good.

The owner's manual says to not judge these speakers until 50 to 100 operating hours. That's the break-in period. I absolutely agree. Out of the box, the rubber woofer surround is too tight and the highs are too harsh. Everything sweetens up about about 50 hours.

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor.com

Submitted by Tim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Picked up the ASB2's because of numerous good reviews on audiophile websites/forums. I am extremely pleased with the balanced sound these speakers exhibit. I've listened to a lot of speakers in the past and these beat out most of the competition even up to the $500 range.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Steve a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Best value!
Beat the JBL's.
Beat the Polk's.
Bose were twice the price for similar sound.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by ymanningham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for new front speakers to replace my existing ones. I was also looking to add a new center channel.

I wanted speakers mainly to listen to my DVD movies.

I wanted also speakers good enough to listen to my favorite musics. I was looking for speakers not too punchy (too much bass) nor too itchy (too much trebble).

I also listened to Mission and Energy bookshelfs on Denon amp. I found that the Mission were too punchy and that the Athena a little bit too itchy. But at the same time, details were there.

When I connected at home I was totally satisfied of my new AS-B2 and of my new AS-C1 center channel.

Purchased At:   Dumoulin