ATC SCM 20 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by G True a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2016

Bottom Line:
Hands down the best speakers I have ever owned, a list which includes extensive time with Monitor Audio Silver 9i, Monitor Audio Silver 10, B&W 684, Focal Chorus 806v, Dynaudio Audience 80, Mirage m-890i, etc, etc, etc. The level of detail in the ATC SCM 20 can only matched with electrostatic panels, which have other faults that the ATC doesn't have.
The bass could be a touch deeper considering these are bookshelves (50lbs each!) BUT it is deep, tight and accurate enough to deliver the goods even when listening to electronica or rap. Add a front firing sub accurately aligned & positioned and it's the best.
They aren't the prettiest to look at frankly, but they absolutely can get forensic on a music track, revealing details and conveying information other speakers don't. Bad classical recordings, of which there are many, will come through. Mine are paired with a Krell amp and Primare preamp and I'm guessing low quality equipment would also reveal itself with the speakers. I've heard some Tyler Acoustics and some Sonus Faber Cremona that could compete with these, but I think they were more "musical" and colored the music more than these do.

Submitted by afan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
My friend has ATC SCM-20. I have spent a lot of time in his house trying to find a weekness of the speaker. Trying all kinds of music. At last, I brought my Aplifier and CD player to his house, My gear seems to work well. I then purchase a used pair from AudioGON.
After a week, the speaker arrived, I called in sick. So I can check the speak, hook it up, and start to listen. It worths calling a day off. I listen to one record after another. Then I realize, I have been turning the volume up a bit more and more. The ATC takes it and performs without holding back. I have reached so loud, I have never done to my old Bose. with 3 other floor standing speaker. I do a blind AB test with my friends. ATC beats everyone else. All my friends agree that without seeing, it sounds like full size speaker set. One of my friend ran back and brought his MK 336. We hook them up. Again, ATC takes it and pushes himself to another level. There is some minimal power needed for ATC. My original HK 8000 is just good enough to make the ATC going. I am now hunting for a big AMP.

Purchased At:   AudioGON

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great speaker with great slam,transparency,details yet quiet awesome deep tight bass(seal box)small speaker with big sound...etc etc yet to discover

Purchased At:   internet

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was playing with a pair of Wilson5 for few months but find that it sound very hifi.Lacks of emotion,highs are dry not transparent bass boxy so is the lower mid.Music is floating not slam so when to a secondhand dealer to trade it in.So I tell the salesman my problem.He recommended a pair of ugly looking speaker(ATC SCM 20)told me I'll love it.My wife doesn't like the look of that speaker but the shop was kind enough to loan it to try.WOW WOW was my first test on Wilson test disc.My wife and I was amazed so are my friends who are paying much more for their speakers.I end up spend 4 hours a day on music rather than HT.The SLAM,DYNAMIC,EXCELLECT SPEED ,TEXTURE,TIMBRE RICHES,AIRY well the speakers just disappeared.This speaker specs.,I don't have but friends and I it will be around 32-20khz.

Purchased At:   dealer

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
If you wanna buy a monitor speaker try ATC 10 or 20 U'll not regret.Is the best at its price.Is really one hell of a speaker.

Purchased At:   store