Ascend Acoustics CMT-340M Floorstanding Speakers

• High efficiency and high power handling
  • Exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion
  • Suitable for large room installations
  • Dual 6.5" Long throw Aerogel woofers
  • Advanced 1" wide dispersion soft dome tweeter
  • High flow dual flared rear port tube
  • Dense MDF cabinet featuring internal shelf bracing
  • Based on our award-winning CBM-170 technology

Submitted by choirbass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
What to say.. Well, before I had purchased these from Ascend back in 2009, I was iffy on if they'd really sound at all like pretty much 'all' reviews praised them for, or if I was just going to end up simply disappointed, and wanting to even return them from just expecting too much..

To me, a lot of the audio comparison terminology was more meaningless; 'airy' 'natural' 'warm' 'smooth' 'detailed' (those are the 5 that come to mind anyhow), since I really had never heard any audiophile grade speakers to begin with. That has since changed changed though, now with at least something to really base those statements on, and against..

I tend not to listen to music all that loud most times (but believe you me when I say that unfettered volume isn't a problem if and when you do decide to drive them to beyond sane levels even, lol). Really though, the amplifiers and other gear delivering sound to them, really are cleared/opened up, certainly beyond what they would be with any lower grade speakers. Unfortunately, they're what also gave me reason to invest in better quality components otherwise too (t-amps, additional ascend speakers, etc). Not that I mind, but I suppose that is irony for you.

..The things you thought sounded okay, you now realize 'don't'. And that in itself can be thought of as a bad thing, but it's just the same as saying 'ignorance is bliss'. It couldn't be much more true than in this case.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Strateahed a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Of course the term “best” implies direct comparison to all the available alternatives. But based on my personal experience, this is the best speaker I have heard under $2,000. They sounded great right out of the box; and after the recommended break-in period (50 hours), the Ascends settled into a zone that defies their size and cost. Speakers that cost so little are not supposed to sound this good … but they do. I auditioned Def Tech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, and few other models at my local Magnolia shop (inside Best Buy). Nothing under $2,000 performed as well as the Ascends. I brought along my own CD’s for reference. Against the Ascends, those same recordings sounded as good or better than most everything in the store. (Note: I didn’t ask to hear anything above $3,000 … not even for S & G)

These speakers are very accurate, uncolored, and detailed in their presentation. They are combined with the Ascend center channel, Cambridge Soundworks S300 rears, and Hsu Research VTF-2. I was looking for a combination that would perform well, both as fronts for my HT set-up; and speakers that could deliver in 2-channel pure direct listening mode. These get the job done, and then some. I’m using a Denon 3805 as Pre/Pro with Outlaw mono-blocks running the front Ascends. For DVD/SACD, I’m using an Oppo 970HD. With the exception of LAT 300 interconnects (Sony CDP to Pre/Pro), all other cabling and power cords are from Signal Cable. I did a lot of research here on Audio Review, as well as A-gon and the Asylum. Taken into account against what is considered “high end” gear, this is a fairly modest priced system – end to end. But how does it sound? Well my wife (anything but an ’audiophile’) was in another room working while I was playing a few discs. She made a point to come in and comment about how really “smooth” the system sounded.

In fact, in 5-channel stereo, the 3 Ascends across the front produce a very coherent, blended wall of sound. When used with a well recorded CD/SACD’s, these speakers are capable of producing the “wow” factor. By the way, changing out the standard jumpers to Paul Speltz anti-cables produced a noticeable improvement in clarity and resolution. One should also keep in mind that these speakers need to be used with a sub.

I ordered these after returning an Axiom VP150 center channel speaker. It proved to be a bit too bright for my taste. In fairness though, I may not have given it enough time to break-in. That experience caused me to sour on my original decision to go with the Axiom M80 ($1,300) fronts … reasoning that if the center has “brightness” issues, the mains would be the same. Overall, in all areas – with one exception - I have been very happy with the decision to make this purchase.

Purchased At:   www.ascendacoustics.

Submitted by Strateahed a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Of course the term “best” implies direct comparison to all the available alternatives. Of course, I have not done that. But based on my personal experience, this is the best speaker I have heard under $2,000. They sounded great right out of the box; and after the recommended break-in period (50 hours), the Ascends settled into a zone that defies their size and cost. Speakers that cost so little are not supposed to sound this good … but they do. I auditioned Def Tech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, and few other models at my local Magnolia shop (inside Best Buy). Nothing under $2,000 performed as well as the Ascends. I brought along my own CD’s for reference. Against the Ascends, those same recordings sounded as good or better than most everything in the store. (Note: I didn’t ask to hear anything above $3,000 … not even for S & G!)

Purchased At:   www.ascendacoustics.

Submitted by audiofan j a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have been on a mission to discover audio products that far outperform their price. To date, the best speaker I have found is the two way Totem Sttaf - at a price of $1600.00 per pair. But....I needed to be more frugal this time out and find something I could live with and not be reminded of how little I paid (read cheap) for it.

So, the quest became to find a world beater of a speaker under $1000.00, and I'm pleased to announce that the Ascend Acoustics 340 SE CMT is such a loudspeaker. I'm shocked at how much detail I have been missing with previous speakers - so much so, that I have been respinning by CD collection, just to hear what I've been missing.

The 340 SE CMT is the most current model of this speaker from Ascend and I decided to purchase the pedestal stands for an extra $100.00, and I'm convinced the stands are VERY worth the extra money to enhance one's listening enjoyment.

The 340 SE's throw a HUGE, intimate and detailed soundstage. As great as the Totems are, and I repeat, they are great speakers, there hasn't been a speaker to date that sounds as accurate and transparent as these $568.00 per pair Ascends! Yes, the speaker is a rather plain black box, but to my surprise, my wife likes how they look! Clearly, Ascend has chosen to put their money into what's inside that makes these speakers so affordable yet sound like reference loudspeakers. Nice Midrange, taut bass and the treble is incredible - probably due to the high quality SEAS tweeters. As much as I love bass, I cant' deal with speakers that can't sparkle with cymbals and the 340 SE's do an awesome job here.

OK, so what is the downside? Well, they don't go super low and ideally, should be combined with a quality subwoofer, such as the VTF 3 MK3, to fill in the sonic information that is limited with the 340's. Another consideration is that I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that these speakers be run 24/7 for at least 3 weeks at a low level and be played daily at mild to progressively louder levels for an hour a day minimum to help them break in. I wasn't completely won over by the 340's until 5 to 6 weeks after I set them up. Ascend should give a 60 day in home trial to allow the speakers to fully break in and sound their best.

So, do I need a subwoofer? Not really. Unless you are a bass freak, these speakers to represent themselves well enough in the bass department to be satisfying. Even so, a sub would complete the package.

All in all, you just can't do better than these for music and I would bet the 340 SE's would make AWESOME front mains for your HT system too.

So, if you have been wondering to take the plunge and take a chance on the Ascend products, don't sweat it - you have a 30 day guarantee and I doubt you would think of sending these back at 30 days. Superb job Ascend! I look forward to the day Ascend releases a true full range floor stander loudspeaker.
Put me on the list!!!

Purchased At:   direct from ascend a

Submitted by sam1000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have not written any reviews in the past but used to read them a lot to educate myself about the product. This speakers compelled me to write a review because I was very happy with the quality of the product I got for much less $$.
I was researching for a plasma TV and eventually got very enthusiastic about audio. I had an Infinity and Bose speakers at home. When I compared these speakers side by side with my previous speakers, it was a huge difference. Suddenly the music came to life as if the bands were playing in the room. I tested a few CDs on my old and the new system. When I played the soundtrack of "Good night and Good luck", I felt that Diana Reeves was singing in the room and she was standing right there in between these speakers. The imaging was good. I heard a lot of sounds on my favorite Movies and CDs that I had missed with my previous system. I was so happy with the product ,I also bought their bookshelf speakers(CBM170) for the family room. (Also happy with the bookshelf speakers as well). Highly recommend these speakers

Purchased At:   Ascendacoustics.com