Altec Lansing Model 19 Floorstanding Speakers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Large floorstanding loudspeaker system with a 15" bass driver in a ported cabinet and a top end consisting of a compression driver attached to a sectoral horn.

Submitted by hotroady a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
These are still highly one highly regarded and sought after speaker. Hard to find these days, if you see them listed on local CL..the race is on..they usually get sold in a matter of hours, if that!
Drivers, crossovers, cabinet are top notch. Weight: 146 lbs each. Not tall, but big.
Huge sound! Quality sound, Room filling bass! Very dynamic. Match with tube amplification and it's rock n roll bliss. Solid and clear HF..but it's the mid range that makes jaws drop, the first time you hear them. I've owned Klipsch RF 7's and RF 83's. The titanium compression driver of the RF 83 has a bit more detail and extended HF, but the overall presentation of the
Model 19's, blows the Klipsch away. Look up AudioKarma.com, see what said about them. One of the Holy Grails of speakers. Very lusted after...and that is factual, not hype.
I can't really play them any where near their full glory volume in an apartment, but I keep them stored for the future, I find them too hard to let go. Even if you aren't in the market to buy such a speaker..just having a listen is a satisfying experience, you will remember. Maybe bring cash, just in case.

Submitted by Ethyleen Jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of Altec Lansing speakers,that my husband bought in 1978,They are in great
shape, sound is wonderful,oak cabinets in perfect condition,I need to sell them,because I have to move and they are too big for the place that I am moving into.
Is anyone interested? I have been offfered $800.00

cari4602@gmail.com

Submitted by caterwalk a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Bottom Line:
I love the Altec Lansing model 19 speakers. They have always blown me away.
The music gets under you skin, in you mind and makes your whole body vibrate.

But I need to sell mine. If anyone still cares about sound anymore and not noise.

Submitted by April Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Hi Everyone, this is my first post here, and I have been a lover of Altec systems for many years, I'm 68 years ol now and was a rocker way back. What I have now in audio equipment is a mini system compared to my past, which I'm most interested in telling you about here. Once upon a time way back, I bought my first high end, high power amp., the Mattes SSP/200 which you rarely see on Ebay, (I have 4 now), and is a real sleeper of audio technology! I lived in Ohio at the time and everyone and their audio brother knew about Olson Electronic stores. During one visit I spotted a huge, extremely heavy speaker system with the name Seeburg on the front, which turned out to be made by Altec, with the 811 horn and 2-15" woofers, (Heathkit also offered the speaker with their logo). It turned out Seeburg had a wharehouse full of these and Olson bought them for a penny on the dollar, and was selling them in their stores for $200 a piece. The sound blew me away, eventhough the cabinet front design sucked. I ended up buying 4 of them and stacked them in my tiny 2 bedroom cabin. I wasn't crazy about the cheezy woofers Seeburg put in them, so I bought 8 high SPL Utah woofers (60 RMS) to replace them. But the story doesn't end there. I eventually took them to Miami Florida where I had my own workshop. I removed all the Seeburg front crap, attached them in two's, removed the bottom 811, laminated the entire 4-two's to look like two singles in Wilson Art white mica, with simulated black marble mica for the front. I had a large sheet of heavy industrial mech, and cut out 8 circles to mount in front of the woofers, behind the front speaker board, and I had the the mech chromed. I then built 3" high platforms with industrial swivel rollers mounted on the bottom, which I bolted to the cabinet bottoms.
I also wired the woofers for a doubling factor.
When anyone and everyone heard these, they were completely speachless! They did total justice for two of my favorite tunes back then; Leps Dazed and Confused, and Edger Winters Transilvania. Most of the walls were drapped in heavy fabric with sound absorbing ceiling tiles, and heavy carpet on the floor. I am now retired in Thailand and mostly dream of snaging a pair of Model 19's and maybe putting in Lambda woofers!

Submitted by N3135X a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
The reviews of the model 19s are right on. You remember when and where you were the first time you heard these speakers. I listened to the A7s and the 19s on the same day in 1976. The A7s were amazing, mainly for there efficient, dynamic range. The 19s had them beat on every scale, mainly accuracy, deeper bass, more realism, especially vocals and of course the real wood veneer in either walnut or oak. Buying a pair of 19s in the 70s was way out of my league but I finally found a pair of 1977 original walnut beauties in 1998 for $1000.00 and will never part with them. I run them through a Nikko Alpha 450, 225wpc. power amp, a Sumo Athena ll preamp and a Rane ME 15B EQ. With some trial and error, I have found that you can get an honest 25 to 30hz on the low end, with lots of clean undistorted volume that enabled me to sell my 15in. Velodyne subwoofer since the 19s have no need for a subwoofer. The passive Xovers (L-pads) are simply genius on the 19s. I tried a Behringer DCX 2496 electronic Xover for a taste of the digital sound but quickly returned it because IMO, it couldn't match the sound from the 30+ yr. old L-pads! I like jazz, classical and a bit of everything actually. The most stunning thing with the 19s is the absolute realism of a good recording. Vocals are insanely revealing, actually hearing the breath between words. I've had B&O towers, Klipschorns, JBLs, to name a few, great speakers mind you but to get the best bang for your buck, the model 19s might be the last pair of speakers you'll ever own. They are huge and heavy. Handsome enough though, to display anywhere in the house if you can squeeze them in.Give them a listen if you can. There are still some great buys on these. My wife told me: No more speakers please. For once I can honestly say OK dear.